German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do all of you have your gsd babies on for heartworm? Fleas/ticks? I'm looking for the safest least toxic approach for my baby girl

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
There are some "Natural" heart-worm preventives, but, they have not been proven, so it would be at your own risk to use them.

My Holisitc vet's advice is to get your dog/pup the MDR1 test (for Herding Dogs) and if negative, give Heartguard.
NOT Heartguard PLUS. The "Plus" has other worming medicine in it and she said that there is absolutely NO reason to treat a dog monthly IF he/she doesn't have intestinal worms!
It just puts more unnecessary chemicals in their body!

You can order this MDR1yourself. They send you a swab to gather the dogs saliva, then you mail it back to them. https://vcpl.vetmed.wsu.edu/ I think it is about $60.00

There are also different essential oils (DIY or already mixed) that you can purchase to spray on to your dog as a repellent.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
2 Other Natural Repellents:

Springtime Bugg-Off Garlic Granulars to mix into food. There are also bite size treats:
"safe, natural, flea and tick repellent. Air-dried garlic granules provide a 24-hour shield against fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, gnats, flies, and other biting insects."

Flea/Tick Tag: Only Natural Pet Easy Defense Flea & Tick Tag for Dogs & Cats

NOTE: "Natural" Repellents will NOT prevent/guard against heart-worm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts