German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 100 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Re: Most Highly Recommened Dry Puppy Food?

Originally Posted By: zipfreerfor right now, I feed my dog's high-quality food,from EVO

EVO is a good food, but IMO an absolutely awful choice for a gsd pup, even Natura themselves would advise against it.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Sorry, I meant Innova Puppy Dry Puppy Food mix them up my seven year old gets EVO grain-free dog food,at both of them now are going to be switched to The Honest Kitchen,mixed with RAW food

·
Registered
21 Posts

Depending on the breed of dog the food may or may not be a good choice. Many large breed and giant breeds dogs need a lower protein diet while they are growing (up to 18 months). This keeps them from growing to quickly and leading to joint and bone problems. Smaller breeds can usually handle more protein in their diet as puppies.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I transitioned mine from Iams Large Breed Puppy (moved him off Bill Jack from kennel) to Kumpi Puppy (had to get my order in and shipped). He did go through some loose stool....combination of possible parasites (tests were negative), too many food transitions at once and stress from going to the Kennel every other weekend. He has moved beyond that now and I transitioned him from Kumpi Puppy to Kumpi Adult. He is 7 months old now. His system is in excellent shape now. We actually travel in the car now from MN to NC and back. He is my travel buddy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Folks

Not worried if my food is the best or not just want to make sure that it's not bad for Chewy. Right now I've moved him from Sceince Diet LB puppy to Eukanuba LB puppy.
I checked out Eukanuba on that dog food analysis website and it's rated as a 1 star food with poor ingredients.
So while I search for a better food for him should I keep feeding him the Eukanuba?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I have Anna on Nature's Recipe Puppy, the same brand I have our other dog on. It has no corn, no byproducts or fillers. They seem to love it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
LoL

Of course I'm gonna keep feeding him. Was just wondering if keeping him on the eukanuba till the bag is out was a bad idea.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
You'll probably want to use that bag of Eukanuba to make the transisiton to a new food

·
Registered
121 Posts
Going to use it to switch him over to Wellneess LB puppy and see how it goes. Read alot of good things about them in the posts.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts

Originally Posted By: Nerrej
Originally Posted By: Gypsyrose04I happen to stick with Purina Pro Plan LB puppy.
Its funny that you mention this. I was just wondering why I haven't seen any one mention Pro Plan? I've been using it for my dogs but I haven't seen anyone using it here. I was beginning to think something was wrong with my choice.
Holy moley after checking out the ingredients in all of the food produced. I used to feed my dog Purina products and feel terrible now after becoming educated about dog foods. No wonder my previous dog had frequent ear infections. If I fed that stuff to my current dog, she may as well live at the vet's office. Everything she's allergic to is in all of the foods.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm pretty sure that in Europe Royal Canin has a Puppy AND an Adolescent formula (Junior) specifically formulated for German Shepherds. It is only here in the states that the breed specific formula starts at 15 months.

I've seen it advertised on European websites, and always wondered why it wasn't offered to us here?

·
Registered
265 Posts
My obedience trainer recommends Flint River Ranch. I don't think I've seen anyone mention that yet. That's what we feed our 3. It's all baked, so it doesn't expand in the stomach. Has anyone tried this? You order it and it's delivered by UPS, usually the next day. It's definitely not cheap though, about $67 for 40 lbs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We did the food switch over and over because our puppy just would never eat enough of anything to put on weight. He likes the Flint River Ranch and that what we are sticking with for now. There is food rated better but sometimes it comes down to dog and owner sanity.

81 - 100 of 511 Posts