German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 80 of 511 Posts

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: James&KaiserMy pup is a shade over 8 weeks old and weighs around 18 lbs. I am using the food recommended and used by the breeder, Taste of the Wild - Pacific Stream. I am also mixing in a little canned wet Wellness. Are these good brands/foods? How many times a day should I feed him and how much?
Excellent brands of food.

At 8 weeks old, eating 3 meals per day is ideal, but if your schedule doesn't allow for that, 2 would be fine. My personal opinion is that 2 meals a day, rather than 1, is something that should be kept up for the dog's entire life.

How much to feed is totally dependent on the puppy. Pups have different metabolisms and grow at different rates. They also grow inconsistently so what is the right amount of food one week may be too much or too little the next. Watch him and monitor his weight. He should be kept lean, but not overly skinny. If he's getting tubby, cut back on food for a while, if he's getting too thin, feed more. You'll probably have to adjust feeding amounts on a frequent basis until he's older and his growth has slowed and evened out.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Originally Posted By: James&KaiserMy pup is a shade over 8 weeks old and weighs around 18 lbs. I am using the food recommended and used by the breeder, Taste of the Wild - Pacific Stream. I am also mixing in a little canned wet Wellness. Are these good brands/foods?
i think Taste of The Wild is fine....for an adult GSD.

however, i dont think any of the TOTW varieties are appropriate for our growing puppies. while technically falling within the AAFCO guidelines as an all life stages food, there is plenty of research indicating that it is advisable to stay on the lower end of the calcium level spectrum. im sure there are plenty of people who feed higher calcium foods with no problems, but i think we all seek to minimize potential risks as much as we possibly can. wellness themselves cautions against using wellness core for large breed puppies: (keeping in mind that the Taste Of The Wild varieties are all at 2% calcium levels as is the core). i would not normally cite a manufacturers FAQ as a legitimate source of information, but in this case there is supporting evidence and i find their stance on this to be responsible.

here is a passage from the wellness FAQ

<u> I have heard that some of these high protein diets can’t be fed to large breed puppies. Why? </u>

Research has shown that large breed puppies should not be fed a diet that is over 1.3 – 1.5% Calcium or they run a significant risk of developing bone abnormalities. Many of the high protein diets on the market today are well in excess of 1.5% Calcium. We do not recommend any large breed puppies be fed our CORE dog diets, or any of the other high protein diets on the market today. In fact, we would conservatively say that puppies in general should not feed higher protein diets that exceed 1.5% Calcium. Again, this is why we feature a maintenance claim and promote the diet for dogs over 1 year in age.

[i<u>] Why is CORE Dog listed as appropriate for maintenance but CORE Cat is listed as all life-stages including cats and kittens? </u>
We feel very strongly about providing only proven nutrition to your dog. Research has shown that large breed puppies should not be fed a diet that is over 1.3 – 1.5% Calcium or they run a significant risk of developing bone abnormalities. If we listed our CORE Dog diets as suitable for all life stages, we would be irresponsible – knowing inevitably that large breed puppies may be fed these diets (by no fault of their loving owners).[/i]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello I just wanted to add my little tid bit here. I've gone through three foods since getting my pup so I can at least share what he did and didnt like so far. I started him on Wellness puppy, he liked it okay but not crazy over it, it got stuck in his teeth a lot and he was pawing at his mouth to get it out. I then switched him to Wellness Large breed figuring it would be better for him. He HATES this food, he wont eat it unless I add something to it. I got a few sample bags of Innova large breed puppy and he really likes this food which I am happy about. He will actually leave the Wellness and eat the Innova. I was curious as to why he didnt like the Wellness so I smelled both the Wellness and Innova. The Innova has a nice aroma, while the Wellness is very bland, I would compare it to cardboard. So I am going to slowly switch him over to the Innova.

·
Registered
27 Posts
to the person who asked about eukanuba. I would stay away from it. I tried it at first with Shadow and he liked it ok but it wasn't really the greatest food. I switched him to Wellness LBP and he LOVES it and has shown a significant improvement in weight gain/control, his coat is shinier, his stools are not as big *less un processed food going through* and i know it sounds crazy but it seems like he has gotten better at paying attention. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
i am feeding my 6month old nutro natural choice adult food.my vet said that its better to feed her adult food because it slows growth and gives the bones enough time to grow which lessens the risk of hip displacia as opposed to puppy food which makes their bones grow faster

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Kai is on Timber Wolf and so is my pug. I have tried a number of foods out there and they both would stop eating it after a while, but not the Timber Wolf. The foods I have tried are: Wellness, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, Innova, and Nutro. Eukanuba is an Iams product and has too much corn as does Science Diet.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Chrono has been on lots of different kinds of puppy foods. The breeder had him on pro plan puppy large breed, but I took him off it shortly after because I didn't like the ingredients and he was a really, really big puppy. I had him on science diet for a while, but he got sick of it within a few days and would not eat. Then we put him on royal canin, which I really liked, but he would routinely get sick of it and not eat for a few days. We switched him to Innova Evo really recently and he's doing awesome and loves the flavor, but never overeats. His coat is beautiful and much fuller, he's building muscle, his stools are absolutely PERFECT. Seriously he pooped on our carpet and I didn't even mind cleaning it up. Was very impressive. Bad, but... impressive! He also regulates his own eating with this food. I usually fill up his bowl completely and he always eats a third of it, wanders around for a while and plays for a few hours, comes back and eats another third, etc. With all the other food he'd gobble it down right away or not eat at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I posted this earlier under the Diet/Nutrition area:
I just switched my 7 month over to TOTW. He's the world's pickiest eater and it was a chore to get him to eat anything! Doesn't like anything fish related, hates lamb and isn't all that fond of chicken. He's also been on the thin side, so I've really been at my wits end with the food thing. His stool was also often very loose and he would have to go several times a day. I've read the many posts about ethoxyquin but decided to try TOTW. Taegan just LOVES this food. He can't get enough actually. No more enticing him to eat... He doesn't really like the Salmon, and while I know the Venison one is a bit higher in fat and such... he prefers it. His stool has also dramatically improved. Anyway... thanks to those who did recommend it. Has helped me and Taegan tremendously.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i know i am a broken record on this, but IMO all those grain free foods are too high in calcium for a growing pup. i would always recommend orijen puppy large for someone who really feels they need to feed grain free to their pups.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I've been feeding all 3 of my dogs Wellness large breed and they do well on it. Diesel LOVES it so I'm happy we're off to a great start with him.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Most Highly Recommened Dry Puppy Food?

Originally Posted By: KodisMomI'll be picking up my puppy next week. I talked to my homeopathic vet about puppy food. I feed my adult dog Blue Buffalo. She told me to just put the puppy on the Blue Buffalo and not to worry about "puppy food".
I've been feeding Tripp Blue Buffalo for 2 months now and his stools are not very solid. His coat looks nice, but the loose stools have got to go!
I'm looking for something new...

·
Registered
353 Posts

Same here, I have him on the lamb blue buffalo. Maybe the chicken will be different.

Originally Posted By: hockeytown
Originally Posted By: KodisMom".
I've been feeding Tripp Blue Buffalo for 2 months now and his stools are not very solid. His coat looks nice, but the loose stools have got to go!
I'm looking for something new...

·
Registered
40 Posts

Goofball, I was just the opposite; I had him on the chicken and decided to try the lamb! I bought a little bag to try for the next few weeks. If the lamb doesn't work, I'll be researching a different brand again.

·
Registered
60 Posts

I didn't like the stools I was getting with Blue Buffalo either. I am now trying Orijen...

·
Registered
1,867 Posts

Reading the reviews for Orijen's Large Puppy, is the concerns over the high protein content anything to be overly concerned about?

·
Registered
833 Posts

I fed Orijen large breed puppy formula for the first year of my pups life without a problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Hi all, I truly believe in feeding holistic organic food for me and my family and my dogs as for right now, I feed my dog's high-quality food,from EVO but the more I read a feel I should go towards a raw diet for my puppy GSD and my 7-year-old GSD I've found a great product, I was researching its a great way to transfer your dog to a raw diet from kibble it is called Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Dog Food*All-Natural Raw Dog Food http://www.thehonestkitchen.com
The great thing about this it cuts the cost feeding and all raw diet you know how expensive it can be specially if you have multiple dogs as I do but if you do the math.this product cut the cost without losing quality If you need more information on this food go to http://leerburg.com/honestkitchen.htm there is a video on the food, explaining it in more detail

61 - 80 of 511 Posts