German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am currently feeding my German Shepherd puppy CANIDAE. My Breeder fed her dogs that so I wanted to stick with that. Plus it is good quality food for cheaper price...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Another vote for Canidae here. We feed all our dogs Canidae and they do very well on it. Our pup was fed Science Diet by the breeder. We have since switched her over to Canidae and no more itching and is growing very well. Use to use Nutro until we were educated on dog foods and switched. Never looked back. Canidae works well for us and cost about the same as the Nutro Max. Our vet tried to get us to feed Science Diet, but we know better. Plus I bet they get some sort of incentive from selling it in the offices.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Falken came home from the breeder with a small bag of Wellness for Puppies so that's what we started with. They just came out with a Large Breed Puppy formula so I switched to that. I thought the large breed puppy formulas were developed for slow growth, is that not the case?

Roxie, 2 years old, is on Nutro Natural Lamb and is doing great on it.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Re: Most Highly Recommened Dry Puppy Food?

Originally Posted By: Kasey06 <span style="color: #6600CC"> </span>
1) Avoid Corn-cheap filler/involved in past recalls
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but have you seen corn prices lately? I don't think it can be considered a cheap filler. If it was, then it would be replaced with something else by now.

As well, when meat is listed as "chicken" or "lamb" and not "chicken meal" or "lamb meal" as first ingredient...it is generally a marketing gimmick to make folks think that since "chicken" or "lamb" is #1 ingredient then that is what is mostly in the food. After non-meals are cooked you have very little chicken or lamb left due to the water content. I kind of laugh at the bags of food that say Venison and Potato for example and I see Venison, lamb, lamb meal, etc... there is more lamb in that food that Venison - labels can be very misleading!

Here is an interesting article about "Cornphobia "

·
Registered
5,392 Posts

Even with elevated corn prices, it's a cheap ingredient in a dog's diet. At $8 a bushel (sky high for corn), we're talking 14-cents a pound.

I do a happy dance if I can find chicken leg quarters for 69-cents a pound to feed my dogs.

So, "cheap" is all relative, I guess. My next guess is that if corn prices stay high, kibble makers who use it will either turn to a different ingredient, or raise the prices--just like the manufacturers of human food do.

Many dogs do okay with corn as a partial-protein source in their diet. And many don't. I have no studies; only the reports of members here who see an improvement in their dogs when they eliminate corn as an ingredient. Obviously, those whose dogs are doing well on corn aren't posting that success, but I'm sure they are out there.

You are correct that ingredient labels on kibble can be misleading. The article you posted (and the website it came from http://www.kumpi.com) seem on the up and up. But the information IS coming from a kibble company who uses corn as a first ingredient in their product. It may be a fine product. I have no reason to think it isn't. But they do have a point of view, right?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts

Originally Posted By: Luca_stl But the information IS coming from a kibble company who uses corn as a first ingredient in their product. It may be a fine product. I have no reason to think it isn't. But they do have a point of view, right?
Yes I would agree you have to balance any information where it comes from. And you are right "cheap" is all relative :) I've seen lots of dogs do very well on grain-free diets and non-grain free....so I would think that whatever works is an individual dog thing :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
never fed puppy food and neither did my breeder. started out on Natural Balance but the Shep stopped eating it. switched to WellNess kibble and WellNess can. my Shep and my Grey Hound love it. we also lace their food alot.

·
Registered
287 Posts

Originally Posted By: Gypsyrose04I happen to stick with Purina Pro Plan LB puppy.
Its funny that you mention this. I was just wondering why I haven't seen any one mention Pro Plan? I've been using it for my dogs but I haven't seen anyone using it here. I was beginning to think something was wrong with my choice.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts

Originally Posted By: Nerrej[ I was just wondering why I haven't seen any one mention Pro Plan? I've been using it for my dogs but I haven't seen anyone using it here. I was beginning to think something was wrong with my choice.
A lot of people don't like the ingredients, nor do they like Purina as a whole. (Meaning even if the ingredients were better, they wouldn't feed it simply because Purina makes it.)

·
Registered
18 Posts

I don't use purnia because after working in qa in food industry I don't want my guys eating ingredients from china. I have gone the more holistic approach. I feed PMI exclusive. I also like natural balance and a few other kinds.

·
Registered
287 Posts

So i saw alot of mentions of Canidae in my search. But Then I started seeing groans about a formula change. Whats the deal there? Can you fimd Canidae in most big name pet stores?

and could someone breifly explain why purina is looked down upon? I see the post about made in china, and that does concern me

·
Registered
287 Posts

also the thread specifies "puppy food" but I've seen people reccommend foods such as Royal Canin which doesn't appear to have a "puppy formula" I just wanted to confirm that adult food is fine for my 4 mo old?

·
Registered
18 Posts

Purina has had issues with metal in food. Corn usually main ingredient. China has little regs or qa when it comes to food etc. No one watches what they put in. Like rat poison to boost protein or plastic, knives, wood etc. I've seen the last 3 in raw ingredients from china myself.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts

Originally Posted By: kymylieI don't use purnia because after working in qa in food industry I don't want my guys eating ingredients from china. I have gone the more holistic approach. I feed PMI exclusive. I also like natural balance and a few other kinds.
What makes PMI so much better than any other Purina product? Are you trying to say that while most Purina prodcts have ingredients, their PMI foods don't?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts

Originally Posted By: Nerrejalso the thread specifies "puppy food" but I've seen people reccommend foods such as Royal Canin which doesn't appear to have a "puppy formula" I just wanted to confirm that adult food is fine for my 4 mo old?
Royan Canin has several "puppy foods".
But yes, as a whole, adult foor is fine for a 4 month old puppy. There are a LOT of breeders and owners that NEVER feed pupy food. The only "adult" foods that aren't necessarily recommended for puppies are most of the "grain free" kibbles because they have more cal/phos that most folks feel comfortable giving to a puppy.

·
Registered
13 Posts

hey guys
I have a question about Eukanuba food.
my breeder is insisting me to switch to it. right now Hector is on Royal canine and doing good but breeder's saying that's much better.
I read in net that it's a crap product using corn and soybean.
what do you say?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My pup is a shade over 8 weeks old and weighs around 18 lbs. I am using the food recommended and used by the breeder, Taste of the Wild - Pacific Stream. I am also mixing in a little canned wet Wellness. Are these good brands/foods? How many times a day should I feed him and how much?

41 - 60 of 511 Posts