German Shepherds Forum banner

501 - 511 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Asshepherd, NO! First, you probably won't really save money because you'll have to feed A LOT more of the cheaper food (possibly twice as much).

If you must feed Purina products, Beyond is their best, followed by One. Those are the only options I would want you to consider in their mass-market line. (I think of ProPlan and One as pretty similar too, but ProPlan costs a lot more.)

The ingredient differences as you drop down from there to Chow or Beneful is unacceptable. Purina One has *a lot* of grain, but at least a named meat is the first ingredient. In Chow, the first 5 ingredients of their adult are not meat -- and the first meat-ingredient that appears is by-product meal in 6th place (3rd place in Puppy Chow), which means not much of it is in there. Dog chow also has dye (food coloring) in it -- which you don't want to feed. A look at the ingredients will tell you the story if you compare them!
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-dog-chow/
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-one-smartblend/
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-beyond-adventure/

I have a family member who won't order food online (elderly) and has to get food at WM (rural), so they've fed One for years and years. Their dog does all right on it. They tried saving money by getting a bag of the cheaper type of Purina, and the dog had diarrhea the whole time and got itchy. One at least has the benefit of being pretty easy to digest -- a lot of shelters feed it for that reason.

I've had dogs come into rescue who were fed their low-end foods like Chow and Beneful, and their coats were gross, their body condition terrible--one of them was fed something like 6 c. of food a day (huge amount of food because it's got so many fillers), and was still scrawny-looking. They transformed into much nicer looking, softer, firmer-bodied, better smelling dogs on better food -- it really does make a difference.

You can get coupons easily for One online. Purina.com and Coupons.com frequently have print-at-home coupon offerings regularly -- I know because I find them for my elderly relative who complains about the cost of One. Target often runs buy 2 bags, get back a $10 Giftcard specials, which you can combine with those coupons, if you have a Target nearby (just watch their weekly ad).

However....if you're on a budget, for just a little more money stepping up to Diamond Naturals (= Kirkland/Costco = Tractor Supply's 4Health) is a substantially better food IMHO. One of those dogs I got into rescue who couldn't hold weight on 6 c./day of a low-end Purina food filled out beautifully on 3 c./day of Kirkland. Half the food! At around $30 per 40 pounds for adult food, it's quite inexpensive. The Kirkland puppy food at Costco is in a smaller bag but cheaper. Don't just look at the price, look at what you're getting for your money (mostly corn/filler vs. meat-based food).
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/kirkland-signature-dog-food/

Victor's entry-level foods are the next step up -- slightly more expensive (around $40 per 40 pound online), and it's a nice step up. You'll get Texas-made food from an independent company with a rep for very good quality control for that extra money (no major recalls -- which Purina and Diamond cannot claim).

If you can get access to Zach's Quality Dog Food (sold in the Dallas area, and some Texas Costcos), it's the best deal going -- made in the same plant as some very, very expensive foods, and all the money goes into what's in the bag since Zach's has no marketing plan other than Costco. It's around $25/40 pounds:
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/zachs-quality-dog-food/

·
Registered
447 Posts
Am I dreaming, or does Iams make a better line of food than in the past? When I read reviews from 5+ years ago I see lots of complaints about Iams quality, and how it's best avoided. Yet in recent years people seem much happier with the quality of their lines like Proactive Health - Smart Puppy, which after reading up on the ingredients actually appears to be quite good, in my opinion. So just wondering if others have noticed that Iams is no longer so much known as a bargain basement dog food these days. (have read many positive reviews on this product recently, so I am confused as to why so many are against it... unless it has improved?) Your thoughts?

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

INGREDIENTS:
Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal (source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Ground Whole Grain Barley, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Flax Meal, Choline Chloride, Fructooligosaccharides, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide), Calcium Carbonate, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, DL-Methionine, L-Tryptophan, L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract, Citric Acid.

NUTRIENT ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein, minimum 22.5%
Crude Fat, minimum 12.5%
Crude Fiber, maximum 5.0%
Moisture, maximum 10.0%
Calcium, minimum 0.95%
Phosphorus, minimum 0.7%
Zinc, minimum 160 mg/kg
L-Carnitine, minimum 40 mg/kg*
Omega-6 Fatty Acids, minimum 1.96%*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids, minimum 0.13%*
Glucosamine, minimum 350 mg/kg
Chondroitin Sulfate minimum 35 mg/kg

·
Registered
849 Posts
Iams is still junk (at least in my opinion). They are owned by Proctor and Gamble, which is not a company I put much trust in, which is the first strike against them. Also, not sure what formula you posted the ingredients for, but the main meat source is a by-product meal, which is a very low end source of meat. Yes, the first listed ingredient is chicken, but that is mostly water. Once processed, that chicken would move quite a ways down the list, leaving you with primarily garbage.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just the thread I am looking for! Today the vet recommended I put Xena on a large breed puppy food. She has been eating Pure Balance; ideal for puppies/seniors dog food. It has no large breed puppy food. Now I have a Tractor Supply and Wal-Mart; online ordering really isn't an option right now. Pure Balance was good because it was Grain Free and was Salmon. From what I have read on here Iams is not recommended by any of you. I want the best for my puppy but I can't afford expensive expensive food. So food in the price range of the the big bag of Iams. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Tractor Supply sells Diamond. Diamond Naturals makes a LB puppy food. It sells for about $45 per 40 lb. bag. It's a mid-grade food that's a pretty decent value for the price. It's the least-expensive food I would be comfortable with. You can get better food, but it will be a lot more expensive.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/diamond-naturals-large-breed-puppy-dog-food-40-lb-bag?rfk=1

When you compare cost on food, you must look at how much food one feeds. Cheaper foods require you to feed more, so the bag doesn't last as long.

Note: Please save the lot codes with any food from Diamond until the food is gone, in case of a recall -- they've had several recalls over the years (but none recently).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Switching back to Fromm puppy food. I recently switcher her to eagle pack but she has been having really soft/runny poop. I switched from fromm because of the price but going back to it since she had solid poop. I hope this is the problem that fixes it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Here and New GS puppy.

Hello,

I was told that Merrick was the absolute best puppy food. I really want the best for her. Does any one know what I should feed my baby? She is 7 weeks and we just got her yesterday!

I want to thank everyone. I will have more questions..
Karen:smile2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,

I was told that Merrick was the absolute best puppy food. I really want the best for her. Does any one know what I should feed my baby? She is 7 weeks and we just got her yesterday!

I want to thank everyone. I will have more questions..
Karen:smile2:
Hi, did you end up using Merrick puppy food? If so, which one? And how did it go?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tractor supply also has Taste of the Wild High Prairie puppy food by Diamond. It doesn't say large breed puppy on the front of the bag, but it's approved by AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) for large breed puppies and is stated on the side of the bag. We have a new german shepherd puppy who is 6 weeks old and have check with his vet if this is sufficient and it meets the their standards.

·
Registered
849 Posts
501 - 511 of 511 Posts