German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Re: Most Highly Recommened Dry Puppy Food?

I've used both Nutro and Royal Canin. Started with Nutro as that was what her breeder was using. Switched to Royal Canin when Kayla was 6 months mixed with Nutro canned when she seemed to be having soem skin irritation issues. Switched out the canned food and started using Nupro supplement when she turned 2 last Feb.

And a couple of months ago went back to Nutro with Nupro joint supplement.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Re: Most Highly Recommened Dry Puppy Food?

My personal story is my son dropped Nutro, which has sponsored his competitive labs for two years. The Nutro Rep would not answer his questions about where their food is produced and where their ingredients come from.

He was able to find another sponsor, and their kibble is fresh, produced daily, and in the USA.

If you have any interest send me a personal reply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We're getting our GSD puppy soon and I was wondering if any of you have strong opinions of Nutro Max (for large breed puppies) vs Nutro Ultra (for large breed puppies). The local Petsmart sells the Max, but not Ultra, so the Max would be a lot more convenient for us to purchase. But if it's significantly inferior (for GSDs) to Ultra, we'll shop for the Ultra elsewhere.

Btw, here's a website for a freebie 5 lb bag of "any" Nutro Natural Choice Dog Food (expires March 31st):

http://www.nutroproducts.com/yourfamily/

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
I fed Onyx Nutro Natural Large breed puppy til she was almost 7 months, she had a bout of pano at six months and again two times until she turned a year. I now feed RAW and so far so good. I think the protein level of the Nutro was more than she needed.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I switched my puppy off of Nutro and onto Eagle Pack Holistic and he's doing great on it!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Should you really use puppy food? As there is no puppy food in the wild.
It could make the puppy grow too fast and create joint problems.

Just another thing a breeder told me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My GSD started off eating Nature's Variety Prairie. She now eats Canidae. Its a little cheaper.... Anyhow, she is doing great at 17 months and 62lbs respectively. Perfect. My Dobe eats EP Holistic LBP. He did not do well on Canidae. It constipated him, made his belly bloated (took him over 3 hours to poop). There are so many good options now. Just try one for awhile and see what works for you and your dog the best. I fed Nutro NC with previous dogs but wont go there again....

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
My breeder likes a high quality puppy food for the 1st 6mos. I trust her judgment (& experience!) but that goes against everything I've heard from large/giant breed people.

Is there anything in puppy feeding that can either increase or decrease tendencies to food allergies? Serious food allergies seem to be rampant (& increasing!) in recent years.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I think the best way to get rid of the allergies is to not expose the dogs to them. Which is a reason why I am going with a grain free diet and something more like a natural canine diet.
I am kinda up in the air over Evo red meat or Orijen once the pups are older. For now I settled on Solid Gold and will see how they do on that. It is only a 4 star dog food and I want to get them on a 6 star and or completely switch over to a RAW diet.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Maybe you should have a look at this webpage which I found interested.
It gives you all dog food out there and cans too.

Most people out there already knows I had to take my GS pup off of puppy food cause he was growing too fast and still is but a bit less now. Thank god. He's only 6 1/2 months old and weighs 85lbs. He's not fat either just very husky and muscular. Been to the vet and he's healthy. Now he's on Orijen for adult (wildfish). Brought him down from 4 cups a day to 2 a day (aside from his treats). Instead of taking 3-5lbs a week in weight, he takes 1-3 a week and somethings 2 weeks. He's very healthy and he loves his food.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

21 - 40 of 511 Posts