German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading online they say most dogs double what their 4 month puppy weight is at adult weight larger dogs double their 5 month puppy weight. Does this hold true with the GSD I know each pup grows at their own rate but that still shouldn't affect the 4 month rule if it is true.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Mine didn't. She was only 24 lbs. at her 4 month weight and 33 lbs. at her 5 month weight.

She is now 72 lbs. @ 3 1/2 years old.

She grew so incredibly slowly. Which is a good thing.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
At 22 weeks Dante weighed 42 pounds.
At almost 4 years he weighs 85 pounds.

·
Registered
964 Posts
My boy is 15 weeks and 42 pounds. I will report back. I hope it isn't true. I do not want him to be TOO big. Healthier to stay in the standard IMO.

I love the name Dante. If I ever have another boy that will be it.

·
Super Moderator
32,102 Posts
Dena was a very big girl as a pup - my vet estimated her weight at 15 months would be between 85 and 90 pounds. She's over 3 years old now, and weighs between 70 and 75 pounds. So I don't know how well doubling the 4 month weight works for most dogs, I think they just grow at different rates. Her half sibling Keefer was 7 pounds less than than she was at 6 months old, but now he's about 8 pounds more.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Chase weighed 26lb at four months, and 50lb at 6mos. His current weight is 60lb. His ribs aren't showing, and he eats 3.0% of his body weight. He's just going to be a small boy or a slow grower.

rules are generalizations with outliers on each end.

·
Registered
27,212 Posts
Onyx weighed 47# at 4.5 mos and now weighs 90#. She is tall and long legged...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My pup turned 4 months friday 02/08/08 he weighed 48lbs I guess I'll look back at this in a year or two and see if he doubled or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts