German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took Stryder for a walk this morning because it is going to be a hot one today. I have been taking him for a walk in the evening, but I prefer a morning walk. I like mornings, because it is quiet and I can get motivated for the day. So I would like to ask, is a morning walk better than an evening walk? Does it really matter as long as he gets a walk at least once a day? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I would make your morning walk the large walk since that is what you prefer, but I would take him for a smaller walk in the evening as well.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I would make your morning walk the large walk since that is what you prefer, but I would take him for a smaller walk in the evening as well.
Yes, if I miss the evening walk for any reason getting them to bed is harder. I prefer to put them to bed tired personally :)

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I'll bet if you asked Stryder---he'd say a morning walk AND an evening walk would be the best.

And a midnight walk, and a ten AM walk, and a 2 PM walk and.................

Do everything that you can possibly do together with Stryder, right now, take him with you everywhere and never miss a single opportunity to be together.

Someday, you will not be able to.......................no matter how much you wish it could be otherwise.

50 years from now, TV shows will be long gone and forgotten, cleaning house will be long gone and forgotten, doing chores and errands will be forgotten............but every minute you spend with Stryder will be remembered with love and cherished. You wouldn't trade a single memory for a million dollars. You do it for yourself, not just Stryder.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I prefer both. In the morning it gets tanks muscles working and wakes Bentley up(he isnt a morning dog,lol). in the evening it makes them tired so they sleep all night. In the morning it is shorter(maybe a mile) then in the evening longer(2-3 miles depending on how tired I am after school and chores).

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Both. Viking usually won't poop unless I walk him and he has to go twice a day (if I don't exercise him enough he'll get constipated). In he mornings it helps to set the pace for the day and in the evenings it helps tire him out before bed. I wouldn't choose one over the other.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it looks like the choice has been made...two walks a day it is!

Stryder would love 5 walks a day! I need the evening walk to tire him out....and I need the morning walk to get me started!

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Everyone gets out for a morning and evening walk. If I am by myself, I usually have the walk the younger dogs and then come back to get my oldest because she can't always keep up.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I prefer the evening walks. The sun starts to go down and it only gets cooler from there. She also doesn't have the sun in her eyes when I throw in random focus commands. But we give Abby about 3 weeks a day, sometimes 4.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Well, Teddy is just five months, but I try to exhaust her at the dog park five or six mornings a week :D , and she goes for one or two walks every evening.

Instead of taking her to the dog park this morning, I ran errands, and - boy! - did she cry when I put her in the crate and left. I believe she thought I was going to the dog park without her! :shocked:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts