German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog sleeps in his crate in my room, he doesn't have a problem holding his bladder, or so I think..

Every time I wake up and go to take him out, he gets excited and drips some urine when I'm taking him out. I take him out pretty fast to avoid this! Does this happen/ or happened to anyone?

Do you think it is out of sheer excitement or not being able to hold his bladder?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
How old is he? Depending on his age, it may still be too early for him to be holding it for so long without potentially dripping.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is he? Depending on his age, it may still be too early for him to be holding it for so long without potentially dripping.
70 days! But he doesn't drip inside the crate only when I take him out!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
So he's 10 weeks. He's definitely not old enough to be holding it overnight. At most at this age, you can reasonably expect him to hold it for 3 hours. Any more than that and you are more likely to have accidents. My pup is 3 months old and is able to hold it for just barely 4 hours at a time before he HAS to go outside to potty. I would set an alarm to take him out every 3 hours at night.

Also, instead of walking him out, carry him outside. It might help with the leaking on the way outside.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Agree with KZoppa ... he's too young to go all night. My husband and I took turns getting up in the middle of the night to take our Jake out when he was that age. It is exhausting at the time, but it's all part of puppyhood.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But I saw an article once, to give him food and water at least 3 hours before bed time so he can get the large quantity of water out of his system. But I'm not sleeping much, or him, we sleep like 5-6 hours

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
But I saw an article once, to give him food and water at least 3 hours before bed time so he can get the large quantity of water out of his system. But I'm not sleeping much, or him, we sleep like 5-6 hours
Don't believe everything you see or read. ;)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I do agree that at 10 weeks you should take him out every 3 hours. I think I read another post from you asking about house training. What worked for me is I took Mac to the same spot outside every time. And when he peed and/or pooped I praised him like crazy and gave him a treat. During the day, keep your puppy in the same room with you at all times. Baby gates help with this. Keep an eye on him and learn to recognize signs that he has to go. Immediately take him out to his potty party spot. And keep him in his crate when you are gone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts