German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now what?! :mad:

My dog is itchy, and she's got these red blotches that have a yellow crust over them. I am having a hard time identifying them or what is causing them. She is on the tablet form of flea/heartworm medication. I gave her some antihisthamines this morning in hopes it will help.

I have a call into my vet, but they are closed until Monday.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if you think it's ok for me to use this horse shampoo on my dog? I don't know if any ingredients are bad for dogs, it ssays you can use it in dogs but I know certain breeds have sensitivities. It is antifungal/antibacterial and treats rain rot, ringworm etc. in horses.

http://www.absorbine.com/gaTracker....in-pack/medicated-twin-pack-shampoo-label.pdf

Here are a picture, it's ALL OVER HER :( (sorry, my other pictures won't load up I'll try to get a better one)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Does it smell bad? If so it may be a fungus (infection) similar to athletes foot. My male gets these on various parts of his body. The first bout was on his belly. Several months later between his toes and a year later on his neck. If he can reach it he will lick it raw and it gets GROSS. I bought several tubes Clotrimazole, 1% (CVS brand anti fungal cream). I usually go through 4 or 5 tubes during the 2 weeks it takes to completely eradicate it, applying it twice a day for the first 3-4 days, then once a day for the next 10 days.

On my dog, it will spread outward into his thicker fur. I have to rub the cream into the infected area as well as the surrounding areas. The infected area is very tender the first few days of treatment and he squirms and complains like a 110lb baby. Getting the cream into the surrounding areas where his fur is still thick uses up A LOT of cream.

After 4-5 days, the tenderness is gone and he will lay down and let me apply the cream without a fuss.

John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts