German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have been following my other thread entitled “Gagging”. My Miikka has been diagnosed with kennel cough. Yesterday she was prescribed an antibiotic (amoxicillin 375mg) and a cough suppressant (hydrocodone 5mg). She took her first pills last evening around 5:00. I thought that the hydrocodone may have made her a little hyper but I no longer believe that is an issue as she has had a second dose this morning and has been sleeping most of the day. The bigger issue may be the antibiotic. Miikka now has a severe case of diarrhea.

Today, around noon, the vet called to see how things were going. I told her about the diarrhea. She said diarrhea was a common side effect of the antibiotic but she was surprised it happened so quickly – after only one pill (it started last night). Then we got to talking. I explained to her that Miikka has never really had good stools. I’ve been fighting loose stools since she was a little puppy. Sure, her stools would be nice and firm for a few weeks then they’d go back to being loose again. We’d have a few weeks of loose stools followed by a few weeks of nice firm, formed stools. This would cycle back and fourth. I have yet to have an entire 7-8 week period of good formed stools. I think the longest she has gone with good stools has been about a month and a half, or so.

So she said to drop off another stool sample, which I did. She also prescribed more meds; metronidazole 250mg and panacur 22.2%. Miikka has taken both of these drugs before. When she was a wee little one, she had intestinal parasites.

My vet does not know Miikka is still on a raw diet. She is very oppose to raw feeding and would certainly be upset with me if she knew I did not stop it like she recommended months and months ago. DH is also opposed to raw feeding. He has been since get-go. He is certain that all her stomach issues are because she is eating raw meat.

SOMEHOW I have got to get Miikka’s stools under control. If that means going back to kibble, so be it. She has been on a good quality kibble (Orijin & TOTW) in the past and that does not seem to matter, though....she still gets very loose stools.

So for now, I am to stop the antibiotics and only feed her cooked chicken w/rice.

I should have the stool sample results back tomorrow. Unfortunately, they are only looking for parasites and/or worms at this point. I’m 99% certain they are not going to find anything. I think there is something else going on with her but I don’t know what it is. If you have any ideas please throw them at me. :help:

·
Registered
397 Posts
ive heard that some dogs just dont tolerate raw well. I normally would say stop all food for 18-24 hours then start with boiled rice and chicken for a day, then proceed to boiled rice and chicken along with the kibble you want to start her on but Im not sure if you can stop food while shes on antibiotics some of them need to be taken with food. I hope one of the more experienced members chimes in soon for you :(

·
Registered
385 Posts
Aw, sorry Miikka is having so many issues!
If it helps the "evidence" for your husband, Regen has had issues with her stools since we got her as well and she has been on TOTW for most of the time. She'll go a week with great stools and then have pudding poo, it seems like she has a very sensitive stomach. Any treats have to be tested before we know if she'll tolerate them.
Ironically, RMBs are the one thing that almost always helps "bind things up" for her. She was on the metro one time, and it did firm things up for a good two weeks, but then she went back to the pattern of 1-2 days of runny/pudding poo a week. She rarely gets diarrhea, though, maybe 2x since we've had her.
Sometimes it seems to correlate to stressful/high anxiety days, and vigorous exercise (running, playing at dog park) always does it too. Hope others have more advice!

·
Registered
32,713 Posts
Slippery elm and a bland diet. I would do the chicken and rice. Plenty of fluids. I think you need to give the slippery elm at a certain amount of time before the antibiotic but I can't remember. I do know slippery elm works.

Someone else mentioned gatorade for diarrhea in another thread. I think that thread was on this forum.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I find it odd that Miikka would have loose stools on raw. I had an on-going issue with my rescue and loose stool that did not resolve until we started raw.

how much bone does Miikka get in her diet?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh did well on Nature's Variety kibble and frozen raw diet, when all of a sudden her refused to eat the raw chicken patties. It's not like he just didn't want it, he backed up away from the bowl and hid under the kitchen table. He had a bout with giardia then hookworms and was having loose stools because of the meds. Once he refused to eat the raw I made cooked meat and rice, gave it to him with the dry and he's been feeling great for several weeks now, great poops too. I think he just couldn't tolerate the raw after having the rounds of parasites and antibiotics. I'll keep him on dry for a while and may introduce the raw again when he's older but for now he obviously couldn't tolerate it and was letting me know. Hope Mikka gets better soon

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't have any answers, but I'm going to be following your post closely. Jackie is 13 weeks old and has had the same issue with her stools. Just when I'm at my wits end, the diarrhea will stop and she'll have solid poop for a few days. Then a combo of solid and milkshake consistency, then diarrhea again.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I did a sort of elimination diet with Stosh, like I said we had no issues until last month when he was 7 mos old and had parasites. I stopped giving him anything he could ingest like bully sticks, treats, his favorite chicken jerky, eggs, you name it and fed only his regular dry and cooked rice and meat, either beef or chicken. I made my own chicken jerky and beef crunchy treats but gave him nothing else. If he hadn't improved I was going to eliminate the beef and see how he did on just chicken. Well, he's improved immensely- nothing raw or all the good things I was adding like the yogurt and eggs. His appetite has improved, lovely poops, tons of energy and not drinking so much water. The vet wants me to keep him eating like this for another few weeks, then go to straight dry and see if that's all he needs. I'll have to take out my motherliness by just making beef and chicken treats and letting him just eat the dry that I know he can digest.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Molly had the same problems for about 2 months too and all the tests showed she was 'fine'. I would definitely fast her for 24 hours and then fed her overcooked rice and boiled chicken for a couple of days. My vets told me to give her Gatorade too. Hoping you can get this sorted for poor Miikka :hugs:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My vet told me to give Gatorade too. Never thought of it before. Stosh only drank it as long as he needed it, once he was done he was done. AS much as I wanted to give him the foods I though were best, he definitely told me what he could tolerate- they weren't the same things

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Oops also forgot to mention...have you tried adding some cooked pumpkin to her diet?

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with all of the above, and wanted to suggest adding pure pumpkin to her diet as well, should help with the stools if there are no other underlying problems:)

Hope she feels better soon

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Slippery elm and a bland diet. I would do the chicken and rice. Plenty of fluids. I think you need to give the slippery elm at a certain amount of time before the antibiotic but I can't remember. I do know slippery elm works.

Someone else mentioned gatorade for diarrhea in another thread. I think that thread was on this forum.
Slippery elm should be given about an away from meds and before they eat.
More importantly though is to get her on a really good probiotic (giving separately from the antibiotic).

For those of you newbie gsd owners, gsds have extremely sensitive digestive systems and are prone to all sorts of diseases that cause them to have digestive problems (like SIBO and EPI as Jean mentioned).

Rafi can't handle food with a high fat content (cooked or raw) and he gets a supplement called "Perfect Form" in two of three meals. Without it he has not so great poops. Pet Nutrition Supplement | Pet Digestive Track Support | Perfect Form | The Honest Kitchen

There are other good supplements out there. He's another couple that have worked well for my dogs in the past:

WellVet.Com

and

Only Natural Pet GI Support Gastrointestinal Dog & Cat Supplement

With the above you want to use either, or and combine with a good probiotic.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies/help!

I guess what I am really trying to do is put together some pieces to a puzzle - that is if there is a “puzzle” that needs to be put together. I’m wondering (and a little worried) if she has some underlying issue that the vet is missing. She has a history of diarrhea and now she comes down with kennel cough. Miikka hardly ever goes anywhere – how in the world does she get KC?? Are the two somehow related? Is she just sickly?

Miikka was diagnosed with giardia when she was about 3 months old. After a few weeks of treatment, her stools were retested and supposedly were fine. I went and looked at some of my older posts regarding Miikka’s diarrhea issues and someone wrote that giardia can come back OR lay dormant. I’m wondering if it ever went away.

She had another round of bad diarrhea in May/June. Her stools we checked again but apparently they didn’t find anything. However she was put back on panacur and metronidazole anyway.

We shall see what this round of testing finds.

I do give her canned pumpkin. As you know, there was a period of time when it was hard to find so she wasn’t getting that much. But now, I can find it anywhere. I’m not sure how much it really helps, though.

I’ll try slippery elm.

Castlemaid, Miikka has RMB everyday, usually in the form of turkey/chicken necks/backs.

One more silly question: most people say the give boiled chicken. I bake my chicken. Is that ok? I do drain/remove any fat before giving it to her.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We had poop issues with Lilly from the get-go when we adopted her from the shelter at 5 mos. She's 11 mos now and has (finally!!) 5-star poops. She too had Giardia, which we treated twice under the vet's supervision w/ Metro/Panacur, then just Panacur. I followed the Great Dane Lady's advice on her website for using a NZymes bac-pac plus + MSM. I found I could buy Panacur on the web for 1/3 the price my vet charges, so keep 3-5 days dosage on hand. I've given her Panacur two times since July when I thought the Giardia might be coming back, as I think it is a pretty save medicine.

After 2 consecutive negative tests for Giardia, negative EPI / SIBO, my vet strongly recommended Science Diet R/D, which is a prescription weight loss formula, but is high in fiber. His theory was that Lilly needed more fiber. I tried adding more fiber with canned pumpkin and also oat bran, but to no avail. I resisted the SD, because so many people say it is so bad for the dogs.

Finally, I decided to try it and was i glad I did. For the first time ever (with only one day transition into the SD R/D), Lilly started having semi-normal poops. When we completed the transistion over 5 days and she was 100% on SD R/D, she had perfect poop - consistently! I also eliminated all treats and bully sticks.

Lilly lost 4 lbs on the SD R/D in about 10 days, tho I was feeding her the recc. amt for 10 lbs above her weight. After much more Internet research, I decided to try Lamb & Rice. I chose Avoderm Baked Lamb & Rice and also tried SD Puppy Lamb & Rice. Lilly now gets 50% of her food SD R/D prescription, and 50% Avoderm Baked Lamb & Rice (or sometimes 25% Avoderm & 25% SD Puppy Lamb & Rice). She is doing GREAT!! Beautiful stools, great shiny coat, good energy, back up to 71 lbs. Happy happy dog & mom. I also give her Prozyme digestive enzyme, Proform (from Healthy Kitchen...supposed to help bulk up stools) and BacPak Plus Probiotic. I limit her treats and don't give bully sticks anymore.

Who knew, that SD could be the answer. I had tried TOTW, Orijen, Natural Balance, Instinct, and I'm sure more. What works for her is a higher fiber, lower fat, lower protein (i.e. 20-25%) food w/ no gluten (i.e. wheat & barley), no sweet potatoes (the Natural Balance didn't work for firming up her stools), no chicken or beef.

So yes, lots of folks don't like SD, but it has worked great for us.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, that's interesting regarding the SD. Perhaps I can find a high fiber, low fat, low protein homemade recipe in lieu of SD. I'm sorry, I just get the willies thinking about feeding her SD. I'm happy to hear it is working for you though!! :)

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Awww poor Mikka!!:( Molly had a minor case of Kennel Cough, my parents got some her some medicine(not sure the name of the medicine) and she was better within a few days.

I didn't know you could give dogs amoxicillin. I know that I am allergic to it.

But I hope the best for you guys. I am sending positive thoughts your way! If I could I would give Mikka a big hug!!Give her a hug for me!:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts