German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I want to make clear I wasn't there. My husband was the one out with the dog when this happened. I told him the other owners were lucky on a lot of levels, and one of them was that they encountered him, and not me.

My husband had the dog out on a walk, minding their own business, when two little dogs (both under 10 lb) bolted across the street from their yard and rushed her on the sidewalk. (Having just looked it up for another thread on this forum, I now know this was technically illegal for those dogs to be off leash on an unfenced property adjacent to public space. We are not calling AC over this, but technically it was against the ordinance. Funny timing.)

The owner of the dogs was this guy with two little girls, both younger than 8 or so. It turned out the little dogs were friendly enough, and our dog is fine with small dogs, so everybody was really lucky there. The owner didn't call his dogs. Made no move. One of the little dogs wandered back into the street and a woman in a large SUV had to stop suddenly to avoid hitting it. The dog then wandered right up against her tire where she wasn't going to be able to see it and could easily have thought "all clear" and that dog would have been history.

My husband said that was when he finally called to the guy, "Are you going to come get your dogs?" which hadn't seemed to occur to the owner at all.

I told my husband that he was nicer than I am; my MO in situations like that is to calmly keep walking, like there is no little dog following me (I've had similar happen, and that's exactly what I've done; my dog follows my lead and ignores). If I was feeling generous, I might have called over my shoulder for him to come get his dogs, but I don't even break stride.

This is a case, in my opinion, for leashing even in your yard if your dog isn't solid on obedience. We were so lucky our dog isn't at all reactive or aggressive and that she didn't decide to grab one of those little dogs and shake it. The little dogs were lucky that our dog is friendly and that the driver of the SUV was able to stop. The owner of those two dogs was really fortunate that his dogs were okay and that his children didn't have to see their dogs injured or killed by either a car or a dog about 8 times their size. We all were fortunate.

·
Registered
537 Posts
We adopted our gsd mix last August and buy November had 3 incidents where an off leash dog came after us. One even bit my dog's face.

All were little dogs. I have nothing against smaller breeds, my childhood dogs were jrts....but they seem to attract owners who want a dog but don't want many of the responsibilities.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
To me, that's insanity. I have had (and love) both large and small dogs. I was just as careful with my smaller dogs than my large! In some ways, MORE careful because they are much easier to injure.

It's really sad that people don't seem to realize that they need to be protected from other dogs/humans and from themselves sometimes.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
This is a case, in my opinion, for leashing even in your yard if your dog isn't solid on obedience. We were so lucky our dog isn't at all reactive or aggressive and that she didn't decide to grab one of those little dogs and shake it. The little dogs were lucky that our dog is friendly and that the driver of the SUV was able to stop. The owner of those two dogs was really fortunate that his dogs were okay and that his children didn't have to see their dogs injured or killed by either a car or a dog about 8 times their size. We all were fortunate.
Was that luck or could it be good breeding, good training, and good handling? :smile2:

I never owned a GSD that was small dog aggressive regardless of what the small dog did, no special training or handling involved. They just never viewed the little dog as a threat.

Even my very high prey drive GSDs never viewed small dogs as prey. I often wonder for those whose GSDs do, if their is something else going on as well besides just prey drive.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To me, that's insanity. I have had (and love) both large and small dogs. I was just as careful with my smaller dogs than my large! In some ways, MORE careful because they are much easier to injure.

It's really sad that people don't seem to realize that they need to be protected from other dogs/humans and from themselves sometimes.
I agree. A dog aggressive or highly prey-driven large dog could have decided, "Squeaky toy!" and grabbed the little one before anyone had a chance to react, and the sad part is that it wouldn't have taken but one shake for it to be all over.

Was that luck or could it be good breeding, good training, and good handling?
I consider it luck, because even with a well bred dog, we could have gotten the outlier. Even with good intentions, we could have ended up not finding a good trainer who helped us so much. And then the ultimate wildcard, even though our dog has never reacted with aggression, we got lucky that this wasn't like that one dog who triggered her somehow. So yes, we were fortunate.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
It is a different mindset. The area I grew up in was a long stretch of land, 1 street wide with houses on the ocean side and on the bay side.

Everyone was so sure that their dogs were well trained and didn't need leashes. At least 10 dogs per month were hit by cars on that strip. We had a piece of plywood we neighbors used for a routine "stretcher" to run out and get the dogs out of the street. We had a rope in a slip knot that we used to tie the muzzle. So sad.

For the owners that couldn't afford the trip to the vet (in most cases for euthanasia) all the neighbors would pitch in and get the dog and owner to the vet. They just never thought it could happen.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I have no idea what's going on with people! I was at a park minding my own business with my dogs, my male GSD is dog reactive... we've done a boat load of work on it, he's much better now BUT strange dogs running up to him he's still not cool with. Anyways this lady walked off one of the trails, she had two small dogs OF course off leash, as soon as they saw my dogs they bolted over... I guess at least she tried to call them but they completely ignored her and both went right up to my male who was losing his mind and being held back by my husband. They were friendly at least but I don't give a rats butt if yours are friendly and mine are friendly, it's just plain RUDE.

I was pretty ticked off and told her if she can't control her dogs to not have them off leash, that she got lucky my male is just reactive and not aggressive. She got mad at ME and started yelling at me. I was flabbergasted, I was in a small back corner of the park minding my business, my dog was on leash and her dogs charged us but she was mad at me?? I really just don't understand these people and this lack of care and common sense especially with small dogs. I own two small dogs as well and I would NEVER allow such behavior. There needs to be some education for these people though I'm not sure how you'd go about it or if it'd even work. After that experience I've been super nervous to take my dogs out by myself, it really affected me.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no idea what's going on with people! I was at a park minding my own business with my dogs, my male GSD is dog reactive... we've done a boat load of work on it, he's much better now BUT strange dogs running up to him he's still not cool with. Anyways this lady walked off one of the trails, she had two small dogs OF course off leash, as soon as they saw my dogs they bolted over... I guess at least she tried to call them but they completely ignored her and both went right up to my male who was losing his mind and being held back by my husband. They were friendly at least but I don't give a rats butt if yours are friendly and mine are friendly, it's just plain RUDE.
I don't think they realize the risk they are taking with their dogs. Of any size, really.

Mine is (frankly) probably their best case scenario: Friendly and social with other dogs and will tolerate about anything from them. I keep waiting for this to change as she is days away from her 2nd birthday, but it hasn't so far. The worst that is going to happen with my dog is that I am going to just keep walking and let the little dog follow and make zero effort to help the other dog owner recover his dog because it should have been leashed and having to run after another dog is just a natural consequence.

The worst case scenario is a dog who decides, "Squeaky toy!"

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I don't think they realize the risk they are taking with their dogs. Of any size, really.

Mine is (frankly) probably their best case scenario: Friendly and social with other dogs and will tolerate about anything from them. I keep waiting for this to change as she is days away from her 2nd birthday, but it hasn't so far. The worst that is going to happen with my dog is that I am going to just keep walking and let the little dog follow and make zero effort to help the other dog owner recover his dog because it should have been leashed and having to run after another dog is just a natural consequence.

The worst case scenario is a dog who decides, "Squeaky toy!"
Yeah my male was amazing with other dogs until he hit maturity then bam just no longer likes strange or male dogs and won't tolerate them anymore. That said he does have some nerve and confidence issues. I will probably end up keeping him on a muzzle when it's just me and him out in public because of these people because I know he'd be blamed if a dog charged up and something did happen.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Sounds like you've trained some great dogs. I used to have a small dog when I lived in an apartment, and I would have had a heart attack if he had rushed a GSD--or any dog for that matter. Not that I would have given him a chance.

When we walk on our road, we're often accosted by unsupervised dogs. My husband said a ****zshu type dog ran out of his yard and nipped at Asher's heels one day. My husband reports that Asher just turned around and looked at him. I don't often walk on our road anymore. I like to take my 8 month old with us, and I won't risk an altercation when I'm alone. We pack up and go to the local "green-way" where dogs are leashed. Anyway, the weather was so nice the other day, my husband and I took Asher and the baby out for a stroll on our road. The usual offenders were either tied up or inside their houses--so maybe someone called animal control, or we just got lucky.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
I consider it luck, because even with a well bred dog, we could have gotten the outlier. Even with good intentions, we could have ended up not finding a good trainer who helped us so much. And then the ultimate wildcard, even though our dog has never reacted with aggression, we got lucky that this wasn't like that one dog who triggered her somehow. So yes, we were fortunate.
I think you sell yourself, your dog and your breeder short. :smile2:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts

Yes, I had a papillon while living in an apartment. He only weighed about 5-6 lbs tops. I was advised to pick him when we passed large dogs so he didn't look as much like prey.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Tis the season. Nice to see some friendly little dogs sad they were loose and it is so hard to see them when driving a car. I would never let my chihuahua loose especially near a large dogs-any breed-I don't know as friendly as he looks- people are nutty for sure.
A few months back I was walking max and our chihuahua with my kids, and their friends down our private block. When the neighbors German shepherd ran across the street heading right for max. I made sure the kids were out of the way and swooped up our chihuahua. The German shepherd was zeroed in on max I tried blocking but was backed up against the hedges and the dogs were barking at each other. I dropped the leash so max did not feel trapped and max just stepped up to smell the dog and the dog took off and max just followed the who dog started who screaming like a banshee. Max looked as puzzled as I. I was worried his ego now would get to inflated. Guess who now popped his head out of the garage the owner. I told him the dogs didn't touch each other. He said his dog was afraid of other dogs. A quick conversation and needless to say I haven't seen his dog out since.
As we walked away my son said the owner of the dog was a weirdo and was watching from his garage the whole time and did not try to get his dog once.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Like two weeks ago I had a yorkie that thought it was going to eat Robyn, my female GSD. She is a big girl, this dog had some balls. I was on my property talking to my neighbor when I heard the barking. I put her in a sit and we watched the circus. Yorkie barks growls and lunges, then runs from owner. Then the owner chases it around the car, the dog goes under the car then repeats the whole bark growl lunge. Robyn looked at the dog and was tilting her head then looking at me, I told her you be a good girl. She never broke her sit of made a peep. It went on for about 10 minutes, they were still chasing the yorkie when I went in the house.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Just today my leashed dog got charged by two small unleashed out of control small dogs. They rushed toward us barking their freakin little heads off.
When thy reached us they all just wanted to sniff one another.
I didn't allow any interaction.
My trainer said that in a situation like that to just encourage your own dog forward in an upbeat voice. So, that's what i did and it worked.

But a few years ago, my neighbor's small dog dashed out of her yard (unleashed) and attacked my former GSD (we were walking by, he was leashed) and he snatched that dog up by the neck and fiercely started shaking him.

He dropped the dog while I trying to pry his upper and lower jaws apart.
It all happened in seconds.

The small dog had surgery and came home from the vet with a pic line in his neck. Or maybe something for drainage.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Like two weeks ago I had a yorkie that thought it was going to eat Robyn, my female GSD. She is a big girl, this dog had some balls. I was on my property talking to my neighbor when I heard the barking. I put her in a sit and we watched the circus. Yorkie barks growls and lunges, then runs from owner. Then the owner chases it around the car, the dog goes under the car then repeats the whole bark growl lunge. Robyn looked at the dog and was tilting her head then looking at me, I told her you be a good girl. She never broke her sit of made a peep. It went on for about 10 minutes, they were still chasing the yorkie when I went in the house.
That had to be a site by friend has a Yorkie and my daughters bunny is bigger.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just today my leashed dog got charged by two small unleashed out of control small dogs. They rushed toward us barking their freakin little heads off.
When thy reached us they all just wanted to sniff one another.
I didn't allow any interaction.
My trainer said that in a situation like that to just encourage your own dog forward in an upbeat voice. So, that's what i did and it worked.
So I'm not off base to just calmly but not unhappily say, "Let's go" and keep walking. Good to know.

I assumed people would think I was a jerk for refusing to acknowledge the little dogs. My husband looked at me like, "Are you serious?" and I said, "If I don't make a big deal out of it, she won't either, and as for the other owner, natural consequences of not containing your dog."

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Tis the season. Nice to see some friendly little dogs sad they were loose and it is so hard to see them when driving a car.
My husband said the dog was practically in the wheel well of this car. Not safe.
That's crazy! Like I said sad they were loose. I have a chihuahua and if he got out in the street and someone ran him over they would not even know.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's crazy! Like I said sad they were loose. I have a chihuahua and if he got out in the street and someone ran him over they would not even know.
I'd feel horrible if I just couldn't see and ran over someone's little dog. The owner just put so many people in a bad position.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts