German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank is a little over 6 months now and I think we're through the worst of the teething. We're still working on impulse control (probably forever lol) but I want to start letting him have a bit more run of the house. I'm mostly worried about him eating something he shouldn't - kids toys or snacks that get left out - or doing some remodeling - he decided our closet didn't actually need carpet. He's not ready to be out while we aren't home, but I work from home most days and while I can't hover over him I am nearby.

Just curious when ya'll started letting your dogs have a bit more freedom was it a certain age or behavior you noticed? I'm hoping letting him be out a bit more will calm him down around the cats - or calm the cats down around him?

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I look at this kind of decision as sort of a risk/benefit calculation. 6 months is still really young and he's bound to get into trouble...but you know him best and know what kinds of trouble he's most likely going to end up in. How much benefit is there for you to give him more freedom? Does that free you up to get more work done? If there's some kind of tangible benefit to you, then that might outweigh the risk of him getting into trouble. How bad would it be for you (financially or simply inconvenience) for him to tear up more carpet or chew up a favorite shoe? Or a power cord? Cat fight? Or swallow something? A lot of trouble can happen in those few, brief quiet moments that he's out of sight.

How much risk does your home and his temperament and current behavior entail? How much benefit do you gain from letting him out of your sight for a while?

Personally, I wouldn't do it so early...but you know your situation best. :)

Reactions: Tulip

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
we waited until a year old to test our dogs with freedom in the house. We never could offer freedom with cats. When we had cats in the house they were behind a closed door.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
When I am home, unless I am busy, my pups were always loose. My house is puppy proofed. Don't take that to mean that there has not been casualties along the way, especially electronics, and it can happen fast, but it is not common. Regarding cats, I used to do rescue for handicapped and feral cats. Cats and puppies were never really an issue.

I always make sure that puppies get a lot of natural exercise, hikes in woods, swimming down the river, time to just be a dog, to follow their noses (sometimes that backfires and they roll in dead stuff :( ), off leash runs in nature, and to let them do doggy things. This relaxes and destresses them and it shows with good behavior at home.

Reactions: Tulip

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, I think I'll stick to supervised out of crate time for a bit longer. He's getting better, but sometimes its hard to remember he's still a baby since he's 50+ pounds lol

We go on walks and fetch in the back yard now that its warming up so he isn't cooped up all day, i just feel bad sometimes.

As far as the cats go, they are getting better, he gets really whiney when he sees them (really is one of the cats that taunts him) run by. He's been swatted a few times, but one of the cats chased him down hissing and spitting and finally put a little fear in his puppy soul and he's chilled out as far as chasing them. Just gotta keep working on our manners, I'll be a happy camper when he's a bit older and lays still long enough to just get pet lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts