German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GSD Rehoming

i HATE when people say the need to rehome a dog give reasons like needs more space to run and play and then ask for money!!! REALLY come on one you knwo the dog would need space before you got him and because you didnt take into account what the dog needed you want to charge someone to give him a good home. i also thought you couldnt sell pets on craigslist??

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts
I know what you're saying, but it's really not a good idea to post "free to a good home" type ads, and the amount that they're asking for ($150) amounts to a nominal fee. Free animals might end up at research labs or as bait for fighting dogs as easily as someone's beloved new pet.

I wonder if "he stays in yard" means he doesn't leave an unfenced yard or that he lives out there vs in the house? And I totally agree with you about knowing that the dog might need space when they got him, although our dogs have practically no space to run and play at home either, which is why we take them out to places where they can. We have a tiny yard, not much bigger than our living room, but we have lots of open space regional parks in the Bay Area where dogs can be off leash, and even swim in the SF Bay and at ocean beaches.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
UGH thats annoying. I'm glad they're asking a fee but seriously. I mean they dont say whether he's good with cats or kids or anything just that another large dog as a playmate would work. What about small dogs? I read a craigslist ad a while back that they were rehoming the dog because they didnt have any trees to provide shade for him. The kid in the picture looked terrified of the dog and the dog is just laying there relaxing. And i just love those we're moving to a different state and cant take the dog with us. Darn those states for not allowing pets!!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Craigslist allows people to charge a reasonable adoption fee, which I think $150 does fall under. Some shelters charge that much (and many rescues charge more) so they probably will allow it.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Nothing wrong with that fee.. and come on, if you are too cheap to pay that trivial fee for a long-term pet and companion, maybe you shouldn't get a dog..

You never know who would come pick up your free pet.. Esp. on craigslist there are pet 'flippers', they pick up free or CHEAP animals and then turn around and sell them, breed them, etc..

·
Registered
475 Posts
This ad doesn't say that the current owners don't have a big yard. Just that he will need a big yard. I don't find any thing wrong with that ad.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't think the vent in this post was about the $$ amount being charged to rehome a pet. It's the misleading advertisement in craigslist itself. Unfortunately, there is no way craigslist can monitor the contents of all these posts...and I do absolutely hate the folks who give up their pets for lame reasons like 'needs bigger yard', 'lack of fenced yard'. It's not like your yard shrunk in size or the fence disappeared ! If you didn't have the basics in place you shouldn't have got a GSD (or any other large dog) to begin with. And then after posting that they are trying to rehome the dog (for their own fault), they now want to be compensated for their stupidity !!
I really feed bad for these pets.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I dont have a big yard...so gee I exercise my dog elsewhere, take him on hikes and let him play at daycare...he thinks our backyard is just a potty break!!!

Course there is a swimming pool for his delight :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the problem most definitely is the money its the owners ignorance in my opinion sorry if it came across about the money just adds to it to me.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Charging a rehoming fee doesn't prevent flippers or research labs though, especially at that minimal amount.

Rehoming a dog for free doesn't mean you can call references and screen the homes the best you can.

I know I can afford a dog and accomodate him well, but I would never PAY someone (even $150) to take a dog that they couldn't care for and needed to get rid of. If the dog was important to them, I feel they'd give it away to a good home. I know that's what I would do.

And then there's the fact that most dogs on CL don't have any vacs, hw testing, etc. etc. and I'm not going to pay $150 to turn around and spend $1,000+ on HW treatment, kwim?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Charging a rehoming fee doesn't prevent flippers or research labs though, especially at that minimal amount.

Rehoming a dog for free doesn't mean you can call references and screen the homes the best you can.

I know I can afford a dog and accomodate him well, but I would never PAY someone (even $150) to take a dog that they couldn't care for and needed to get rid of. If the dog was important to them, I feel they'd give it away to a good home. I know that's what I would do.

And then there's the fact that most dogs on CL don't have any vacs, hw testing, etc. etc. and I'm not going to pay $150 to turn around and spend $1,000+ on HW treatment, kwim?
^^^^totally agree^^^^

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I think that $150 is fine. I saw a cat at a rescue (a bengal) who's adoption fee was $500. At a rescue.

When we rehomed Yoda, I put that there was a rehoming fee, but we had no intentions of charging one. We just wanted to find him the best home we could find. We just put it on there to ward off people that would use him for God knows what.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The ad doesn't say why they are re-homing him, so maybe they don't have a choice. If something drastic happened, and it would have to be pretty darn drastic for me to have to re-home my dogs, but I would most definately be charging a re-homing fee. If the dog is listed as FREE, then that means ANYONE can get him. Even a person who has $5 in their savings account and will not be able to provide for the dog. Even a homeless person could adopt a free dog. Also, a beloved pet would be hard to put a price on, but if I gave my dog(s) away for free, I would feel like 'he(they) meant nothing to me'. Not $150 fee so I can compensate for his neuter, etc. But that's JMO.

I always say that it's better for someone to realize they can't provide everything a dog needs and they decide to re-home it, vs. letting it live it's life in a place where they aren't getting what they need and the owner is fully aware of it.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I like the idea of a rehoming fee- it does weed out sickos who want to use your dog as bait and private research labs that don't care how they obtain the animal in question. It also shows some level of ability to support the animal on the buyer's end. It's easy to see a free animals and think I want I want- it's different when you spend money on that animal to obtain because it forces you to think about expense to some degree. Not that people don't buy dogs all the time and then decide it's too costly, but a small fee makes most think about future expense:)

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
I think that a rehoming fee is appropriate if you are going to the paper to find a home.

One thing is that it is like earnest money. Someone has to WANT the dog and have the money on hand to get him. It is more than that though. If you give me your dog for free, I answer your ad, and think I might like a neapolitin mastiff, even though I know nothing about them.

I get to your house and I see this gigantic, massive, monster looking thing with wrinkles and drool and droopy eyes. But the dog is nice and you seem pretty desparate for me to take him. So I get him out to the car.

Now I do not want this dog, not even a little bit. It is UGLY! But I just can't say no to you, because you are CRYING!!!

Well, what am I going to do. I take it home and do not like him any more the next day. I do not think I can face you again, and I do not want to drive all the way back over there. I will go to the shelter and tell them I found it alongside the side of the road. Or I will drop it alongside the road somewhere.

People who get something for FREE, well, they just do not think it is WORTH anything. They go to move, and they think nothing more of dropping the dog at the shelter. At this point someone is going to pipe up about their seven free dogs and how they would never... But we are talking in generalities. A major low-life scumbag that pays 1500 for a dog is going to try to at least get something out of him. If you pay $150, well, it really depends on how much $150 is for you.

I do not think you would take that neapolitin mastiff home because you aren't going to hand over the cash.

People drop dogs at shelters regardless to how much they paid for them. But I think that a dog that they were willing and able to pay something for has a better shot, maybe of going to a no-kill shelter, maybe of also being worth some training.

I think that sometimes people get a free dog and think of him as a free dog. What do you expect, the price was right, you get what you pay for, etc.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It's easy to see a free animals and think I want I want- it's different when you spend money on that animal to obtain because it forces you to think about expense to some degree. Not that people don't buy dogs all the time and then decide it's too costly, but a small fee makes most think about future expense:)
YES! I agree 100%. Once you see a dog you want want want, and see the price, you think, ok. I have enough to get him/her. What do I have left for the supplies, food, vet, etc. VS. I am going to get that dog NOW, why not, it's FREE! Then getting home and being like...crap. Ok I have to go get food and a toy. Oh no, I will have to wait until pay day....because things like that WILL happen because there's people who will do just that!

I would rather put a fee on an animal and force the buyer to think about the expense rather than do a background check or reference check and give the dog away for free. Of course they will only give #'s of people who will say good things about them, and you will attract owners who cannot provide for the dog but their buddy who's a felon will say good things about them!!

That's not how it always is, but that's how it certainly could go when the market for the pet is open to EVERYONE.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I don't feel that's true, Selzer. Not with everyone, anyway.

The person that now has Yoda treats him like her child. They went out the day we took him over there to get him a spiked collar.

She was expecting to pay a fairly large rehoming fee, because French bulldogs aren't cheap.

We also don't love Aiden any less because we got both him and Yoda for $200 because the breeder's kennel they lived at burned down and they had to get rid of their dogs. They were the last two. Aiden is our baby. Doesn't matter that we got him at a 'discount' price. We don't love Sania any less because we found her as a stray. She was free. But she's my family just as much as Ozzy is. Despite I paid something for Ozzy and she was free. A price tag doesn't put a value on the love you give and receive from them. I know it does with some people, but it shouldn't.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I think that $150 is fine. I saw a cat at a rescue (a bengal) who's adoption fee was $500. At a rescue.

When we rehomed Yoda, I put that there was a rehoming fee, but we had no intentions of charging one. We just wanted to find him the best home we could find. We just put it on there to ward off people that would use him for God knows what.
I've seen a lot worse at rescues, but to be fair, they DO need to recoupe some of their costs to keep operating, and it is for a good reason.

The ad doesn't say why they are re-homing him, so maybe they don't have a choice. If something drastic happened, and it would have to be pretty darn drastic for me to have to re-home my dogs, but I would most definately be charging a re-homing fee. If the dog is listed as FREE, then that means ANYONE can get him. Even a person who has $5 in their savings account and will not be able to provide for the dog. Even a homeless person could adopt a free dog. Also, a beloved pet would be hard to put a price on, but if I gave my dog(s) away for free, I would feel like 'he(they) meant nothing to me'. Not $150 fee so I can compensate for his neuter, etc. But that's JMO.

I always say that it's better for someone to realize they can't provide everything a dog needs and they decide to re-home it, vs. letting it live it's life in a place where they aren't getting what they need and the owner is fully aware of it.
I don't understand why free means that anyone can take your dog? Whether you're giving him away or charging 5 grand, wouldn't you ask for all the resources they had possible? Vet number/history, personal references, a contract, etc? I know I would. I would not just let any Joe Shmo on the street come hand me $150 for my dog, I know that.

That's just MY opinion, though. I know $150 wouldn't cover much I've done for my dog, anyway. A couple of months of food, sure. All of his vet bills have been more than that though, including his neuter at twice that price. :eek:

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
I don't feel that's true, Selzer. Not with everyone, anyway.

The person that now has Yoda treats him like her child. They went out the day we took him over there to get him a spiked collar.

She was expecting to pay a fairly large rehoming fee, because French bulldogs aren't cheap.

We also don't love Aiden any less because we got both him and Yoda for $200 because the breeder's kennel they lived at burned down and they had to get rid of their dogs. They were the last two. Aiden is our baby. Doesn't matter that we got him at a 'discount' price. We don't love Sania any less because we found her as a stray. She was free. But she's my family just as much as Ozzy is. Despite I paid something for Ozzy and she was free. A price tag doesn't put a value on the love you give and receive from them. I know it does with some people, but it shouldn't.
Thank you for piping up and saying exactly what I predicted.

OF COURSE YOU LOVE YOUR DOGS, YOU ARE ON A DOG FORUM!!!

Not everyone who gets their dog for free will think of it as worthLESS.

But we are talking about selling/rehoming (to be PC) a dog through an on line ad. This means you ran out of friends and family, and people that you trusted contacts know. You do not know the first thing about these people.

And while you might find one that will not think of the dog as less because it was free, you have maybe a better chance of finding the other type of owner.

Good grief! I KNEW and WROTE that someone was going to say, "but I got MY dog for free..."

Thanks for renewing my faith.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts