German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Um, right now I catergorize toys as "Alone" and "Supervised". Alone toys are the extreme kong and a durable nylabone. Supervised toys are regular nylabones and the regular kong. Alone toys are the toys that are safe enough for my future puppy to play with all by herself and leave in the crate with her. Supervised toys are the toys I need to be nearby and supervize her to play with them.

So right now I believe I only have two alone toys, an extreme kong and a super durable nylabone. My question to you guys is, what are some other reliable and safe toys I can leave my puppy alone with? Also, I was looking at a kong the other night and I came to the realization that the hole in the bottom of the kong is the size of a puppy's muzzle. Has anyone ever heard of or had their puppy get their muzzle stuck in that hole?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
The hole in the kong is too small for an 8 week old GSD to get "stuck" in. At least that was the case with my male when he was that age.

There really aren't a ton of toys out there that are safe to leave in the puppy's crate. I know some people might argue the kong is not safe. There was a thread a while ago where a dog got one stuck in his jaw somehow.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't have to worry about this bc Zoe is the strangest dog...she will not chew or play with toys in her crate while I am gone to work. I even left a tasty chew treat in the crate yesterday...when I got home it was in the same spot. I opened the door and she went outside to potty and immediatly came back in and got the treat out of her crate and ate it. The Dachshunds on the other hand...I have to be careful because they destroy everything. They are only allowed those hard/plastic nyla bones when I'm not watching them.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I wouldn't classify a regular kong as a supervised only toy. 99% of dogs can't chew through a regular kong.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
What about the kong wubba? My puppy has never been able to chew it apart even though it is material on the outside. My male is extremely destructive to toys and he has only ever chewed one ring off of one of the wubbas but I had hit it with the lawnmower so it was already loose. He still has that same one and it is entact other than the outer ring that separates the top ball from the bottom ball. It survived being hit with a mower so I think that it would be tough enough for a puppy not to rip apart for any choking hazards. The squeaker does not work but they still play with it. anyway.

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts
My dogs can easily destroy a wubba, and they have. I wouldn't characterize it as an okay toy for unsupervised play unless you're absolutely sure that the dog won't ingest the pieces. Halo loves to rip stuffing out of things so I don't leave toys like that laying around when I'm not right there, but she's always spit the pieces out, she doesn't swallow them. Many a time I've looked over and found her surrounded by a pile of stuffing that she's gleefully ripped out of a toy.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
My dogs can easily destroy a wubba, and they have. I wouldn't characterize it as an okay toy for unsupervised play unless you're absolutely sure that the dog won't ingest the pieces. Halo loves to rip stuffing out of things so I don't leave toys like that laying around when I'm not right there, but she's always spit the pieces out, she doesn't swallow them. Many a time I've looked over and found her surrounded by a pile of stuffing that she's gleefully ripped out of a toy.
Ditto. Micah had a wubba that he loved, and never chewed it up. He certainly could have however.

Unfortunately the other dogs got ahold of it one day and it was bye bye wubba.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
We had a Wubba get chewed up here as well. Not a good toy for them to sit and chew on. But great for fetch.

·
Registered
936 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts
Halo kills those too! :hammer:

·
Registered
274 Posts
goughnuts dog toy.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know, someone or a book read that you should see how your puppy or dog interacts with a toy. Different puppies or toys play differently with toys. So what I'm going to do is, based on the way my puppy will interact and treat the toys, make a decision on which toys would do for her to be left alone with and which toys I need to be around with her. Thank you guys for the input and advice too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts