German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do people think of this behavior,

Helmut will for no apparent reason will approach me or my wife, lower his ears circle and leave a bit of pee. It does not seem to matter if he has been given a great walk. Sometimes just reaching out to say good dog or hello he will go into his pee behavior and then as quickly as it comes it passes.

THOUGHTS?

Fred

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
As Jax said. Completely ignore him when you come home or when he approaches you. It happens involuntarily and has nothing to do with being housebroken or not. So you can not punish him for it as it is already the ultimate sign of submission to you. Avoid: looking into his eyes, leaning over him, petting him on the head, neck, shoulders and upper back. Instead: face him sideways, avert your eyes, move slowly and gently stroke him under his chin. Everything briefly.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Helmut is 9 months old. He used to dribble pee when I came home or my wife came home from work, or when meeting other people or even dogs. He never cowered, or tucked his tail, but he would dribble. Now he doesn't pee with other people - except occasionally, doesn't pee around dogs, and I can take him to the Vet's or to other places and he doesn't pee anymore. When my wife comes home he will dribble pee, but usually won't do that around her. The thing is, I can be sitting in my chair and just yawn, or move around, and he'll come over and circle the chair with his ears pinned back and dribble - then he'll sniff his dribble and just stand there - ears up and ready to move on. We do not punish him, raise our voice at him, engage him in any way when he gets in this state - we try to ignore him, avoid eye contact or touch. Maybe all we can do is wait this out. He is a wonderful dog -a big beautiful boy who seems so happy and is full of energy, and overall pretty darn easy to live with. He's our boy no matter what but I want him to have a different relationship with me so that he does not feel he has to do this. Can anybody think of anything else I might do or try?

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
Do you do any training with him or activities? the only thing I can think of is for you to bond with him more. obedience training, agility? Hiking? Anything to increases his trust and ease around you.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Helmut is 9 months old. He used to dribble pee when I came home or my wife came home from work, or when meeting other people or even dogs. He never cowered, or tucked his tail, but he would dribble. Now he doesn't pee with other people - except occasionally, doesn't pee around dogs, and I can take him to the Vet's or to other places and he doesn't pee anymore. When my wife comes home he will dribble pee, but usually won't do that around her. The thing is, I can be sitting in my chair and just yawn, or move around, and he'll come over and circle the chair with his ears pinned back and dribble - then he'll sniff his dribble and just stand there - ears up and ready to move on. We do not punish him, raise our voice at him, engage him in any way when he gets in this state - we try to ignore him, avoid eye contact or touch. Maybe all we can do is wait this out. He is a wonderful dog -a big beautiful boy who seems so happy and is full of energy, and overall pretty darn easy to live with. He's our boy no matter what but I want him to have a different relationship with me so that he does not feel he has to do this. Can anybody think of anything else I might do or try?
Something about you makes him uneasy, and I am not trying to make you feel bad. My suggestion would be for you to work on confidence building things with him, get him involved in doing things with you that are all about praise and building him up. He sounds like just a big softy and you won't change that but with confidence building you can lessen it's impact on his life.
I can also tell you that avoiding talking or eye contact may make this worse. He may still read it as displeasure on your part.
I used to get Shadow to climb things with me, various rocks and obstacles, and I always like Agility for shy, fearful or submissive dogs. Anything where there is no consequence if they can't do it or screw it up. It doesn't matter, it isn't like obedience where you must correct sometimes. Pick any activity or game that he can be praised like mad and there is no down side. I like climbing because conquering obstacles instills a confidence and you can help out as needed.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Finally it's spring in Vermont and I can take him hiking and do some climbing. I'm looking forward to that! Will how this goes. Appreciate the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts