German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, so far so good with our girl Shadow. She's exercising and having a great time out there with my wife and I and other dogs.

Soooo, my next question as a puppy owner is this. What is with the grazing?!? When Shadow first gets out there to the field, she's just tearing around and having a great time chasing other dogs, balls, or us. After about 10 minutes or so, her focus switches from finishing the chase to chasing until she finds a big load of cut grass and then stopping.

I know that puppies eat everything; I've seen Shadow eat stuff that I didn't think would even be REMOTELY pleasant to have in one's mouth. But she really has a thing for cut grass, or if there isn't any cut grass around, she'll make her own from fresh grass. She will eat a LOT of it, or at least chew on a lot of it and swallow a bunch of it. Too much. At least I think so. After the first 10 minutes of running around her time at the park is divided between chasing stuff and chewing or tearing up grass.

I know that diet can be a cause, as can an upset stomach. I doubt she has a mineral or vitamin deficiency (she's been treated for worms, is on preventative, and is on Iams Puppy food @ about 3.5 - 4 cups per day).

So what's the deal? Why is she just a constant grazer when she's out there? It's frustrating having her just pick up so much grass she can barely get her mouth around it. It does come out the other end so she is definitely swallowing it, but not to the point it's making her vomit. I'm (hopefully) guessing that she'll grow out of it but if anyone has some insight as to why or suggestions as to how to keep it from happening I'd be greatly appreciative.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Good looking dog.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My golden pup is a big grazer too. Loves the morning grass covered in dew and will spend ages walking and munching. Diesel used to but grew out of it.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Shadow is really pretty. If it makes you feel better, my Sash is almost 9 and he has always been a cow errrr I mean dog
, he loves grass! I, too always wondered if he had vitamin deficiency but he is pretty healthy and blood work came back good, etc on his 8th birthday check up. I think some just like it.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
My dogs are nuts about eating grass. They especially love the cut grass that the lawnmower leaves behind. Like your Shadow, my guys eat good food and don't have any deficiencies. I think they just like how it tastes.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My two graze on all my ornamental grasses, they have a feast every morning.

Booda the cat also loves grass.

I think they just like it. They both have their favorite patch!!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Very pretty girl you have! Maybe she gets hungry after all that running and wants a little salad?
I like a good salad a few times a week too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Riley likes to tear at the taller grass and also zoom thru what is left while chewing his cud
. He will also grab mouthfuls of cut grass, and munch around his toys in the yard before he plays with them. Sometimes I worry that he will cut his gums with the grass...owie!

Lady is a grazer...little nibble here, little nibble there....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts