German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That would be Jenna, our 8 month old. We started testing her recently out of her crate for short periods of time. She did great this past week with no issues. Tonight we tested her and left the house for a little while and came home to one of our couch cushion's completely destroyed. The part I'm freaking out over is the fact that I can't find all of the leather pieces so she must have ate them. One piece is almost the size of a sheet of paper. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you think she will be able to pass these leather pieces through her system? I'm already envisioning a trip to the ER. Lesson learned, back in the crate she goes.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Can't speak to passing the leather, but I would never ever leave an 8 mo old loose while unsupervised.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I don't see the issue with her being 8 months old, but she apparently wasn't as trustworthy as you thought! I'd keep watch to make sure she either is passing it or gets a trip to the vet. Poor girl!

Frag's been pretty trustworthy since he was that age, if not earlier. Never much of a chewer.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh no!! Stosh is 11 mos and we just started leaving him out alone for short periods- but he just suffered a gunshot wound to the face so he's rather subdued to say the least. And dogs are not allowed on any carpet or furniture so we had a head start. So sorry about the sofa..and I hope Jenna is ok

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Sofa! Couldn't start with toilet paper, or getting into the trash...something less expensive. Had to go for the big buck items! I truly think I'll never leave mine loose in the house. I've no doubt Hondo would go straight for the TV or stereo system.

Hmmm, makes me wonder if something was spilled on the couch & left a tasty smell and that was why the extreme interest and then actually eating the leather.

I would imagine you'll be able to see the leather pieces in the poop. I'd watch very closely to make sure everything is passing, but the minute there is even a hint of distress, I'd make a trip to the vet.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yep, had my big white boy eat a whole leather couch. Literally. The 10 month old puppy goes in the crate or in the car with me. He's fabulous in the car alone, but I wouldn't trust Dexter with a sofa.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I would never leave an 8 month old loose in the house unattended. They are just too young to know better and they get bored so easily.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
You may have to go to the vet for xrays if things don't pass along well.

I have never owned an 8 month old dog who could have house privileges.

·
Registered
31,968 Posts
Mine are contained to a section of the house with access to a kennel at that age. Too much freedom...

Maybe You could get a solid baby gate -- mine are 39 inches tall and metal, and leave the dog in a puppy proofed room while you are away. Make sure the dog does respect the baby gate, some do, some don't.

Usually as mine get older, I start by babygating them in my bedroom for the night. Then I sleep with one eye and one ear open. Once they seem ok with that, I give them a little more freedom.

I am glad that you are most concerned with the health and well being of the puppy. If one of mine ate my leather couch, I would probably be speaking in tongues.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi Ali B.,

I feel your pain! My Ridley (10 months today) chewed the corner of my dining room chair. My 23 year old son let him roam freely while he was chilling in front of the TV. Fortunately for me, he didn't eat much - no digestive worries for us - just a screwed up chair! Hope Jenna is ok!!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
My GSD ate an entire couch systematically: she started with one cushion, got crated, tried her again, ate another cushion, got crated, tried her again, ate the arm of the couch right down to the wooden frame. She stayed crated unless supervised for a long time before she truly earned her "freedom". She's completely trustworthy now. I also once had a husky who pulled our living room drapes off the front window and destroyed them. My husband reminds me every so often of how much $$ the "doggie re-decorating" has cost us...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the good news is Jenna passed all the leather material she ate. Thank God. All freedom privleges are revoked for now. It's a good thing she likes her crate! We never had a problem with our other two dogs at this age. They were completely trustworthy and never destroyed anything so we figured we'd give it a try with Jenna. Live and learn!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts