German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if they have ever gotten a pup from the Monks? They won't give out any info regarding their breeding and my one concern is genetic testing for DM. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if they have ever gotten a pup from the Monks? They won't give out any info regarding their breeding and my one concern is genetic testing for DM. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks
If they won't give information regarding health testing, then I would advise you to look elsewhere.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Their dogs used to be considered very good, but I’ve heard mixed things about them in recent years. Do you have a pedigree? At the very least, you should ask for that and they should supply it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have heard that their dogs are skittish and not so great. The monk who started and ran their breeding program for many years died long ago. Great book....but I would look elsewhere for a pup.
Just saw this on their site:
*At present, the cost for a New Skete German shepherd puppy is between $4,200 and $4,700. This is subject to change without notice. *
That is ridiculous.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I looked up New Skete on pedigree database. Most of the entries are 20 years old but there are a few newer. One of their dogs came from Vom Kirschental, but what is overwhelmingly obvious is that a lot of their foundations dogs were American showlines. For some reason, I thought they bred WGSLs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have heard that their dogs are skittish and not so great. The monk who started and ran their breeding program for many years died long ago. Great book....but I would look elsewhere for a pup.
Just saw this on their site:
*At present, the cost for a New Skete German shepherd puppy is between $4,200 and $4,700. This is subject to change without notice
Books are great. But if they are skittish and not so great I would look elsewhere. Puppies are SUPER expensive and you can get one just as good (I would think) for cheaper. But for training I would suggest their books.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
About 3-4 years ago a met a product of their breeding program. Female about 1.5. She was very pretty but her temperament wasn't what I would expect for the price. She had some training issues partly due to the dog being too much for the owner in her 60's who wasn't a good fit or have the skill set to train her given her temperament. The price of the dog was outrageous. The dog was sent back for training for an additional outrageous broad and train fee. That's another story I would share only in private message.

I would pass...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Their dogs used to be considered very good, but I’ve heard mixed things about them in recent years. Do you have a pedigree? At the very least, you should ask for that and they should supply it.
About 3-4 years ago a met a product of their breeding program. Female about 1.5. She was very pretty but her temperament wasn't what I would expect for the price. She had some training issues partly due to the dog being too much for the owner in her 60's who wasn't a good fit or have the skill set to train her given her temperament. The price of the dog was outrageous. The dog was sent back for training for an additional outrageous broad and train fee. That's another story I would share only in private message.

I would pass...
HI,
Thanks for sharing. Yea Im going to pass on them. Its like pulling teeth to get any information and they won't give me the pedigree of the dogs until they choose which litter I would best be fitted for. I can't be bothered with them not answering my West German Showiness because of health issues with the American Showiness. Both of my shepherds had and have issues. If you know of anyone in the PA,NJ,Ct area let me know. I know of one breeder in Pa Hollow Hills which Im looking into. Thanks so much

I would pass...
I looked up New Skete on pedigree database. Most of the entries are 20 years old but there are a few newer. One of their dogs came from Vom Kirschental, but what is overwhelmingly obvious is that a lot of their foundations dogs were American showlines. For some reason, I thought they bred WGSLs.

yes they are suppose to be WGSL, hmm thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I do have an American GSD,and I idid ask Julie if I could see the pedigree, she's the woman in charge of their breeding program and said once i was chosen for the litter...also asked a few other questions and never heard back, so seeing all the good advice i received on here Im no longer putting my app in.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
This is also what I have heard. Additionally, if the breeder/seller is not being forthcoming, don't care who they are, I walk. Period.

·
Registered
175 Posts
As an aside, that they are reluctant to give pedigree information would be enough for me to run away. Good breeders are eager to share that kind of information and for visitors to meet them and to meet their dogs. They are proud of their dogs, their health checks, the progeny that has been produced by their kennel.
It is particularly alarming that they think their dogs are worth nearly double what a very well bred working dog is at other highly reputable breeders.
While I loved the book, and I understand how great it makes their dogs seem, it is just a story written by them, about them. Consider it marketing material.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
As an aside, that they are reluctant to give pedigree information would be enough for me to run away. Good breeders are eager to share that kind of information and for visitors to meet them and to meet their dogs. They are proud of their dogs, their health checks, the progeny that has been produced by their kennel.
It is particularly alarming that they think their dogs are worth nearly double what a very well bred working dog is at other highly reputable breeders.
While I loved the book, and I understand how great it makes their dogs seem, it is just a story written by them, about them. Consider it marketing material.
I agree. They overcharge because people are willing to pay. They support their operation through dog sales and training, but I would think they could up their training side and not price gouge for dogs.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
The Monks are like the Kardashians; famous because they are famous for some reason. There is noting divine about their training methods or prices.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
I thought bashing a breeder was not allowed on this forum? Jeez,,,
We are not discussing the quality of the dogs. We are discussing the book and prices only. Or are we positive only?
I have to smile when someone replies "PM me" when someone asks for an opinion of a certain of a breeder.Th e forum also is useful for educating in this regard As well IMO.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I thought bashing a breeder was not allowed on this forum? Jeez,,,
They aren’t just breeders, they are celebrities. It’s similar to discussing Leerberg and their former breeding program. The Monks are mostly known for their books which were very controversial, almost as much as Koehler. It’s one thing to arbitrarily bash a breeder, but we are allowed to discuss their not offering pedigrees. That is a basic rule we all agree on here.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think we should all be able to state our opinions as long as it is in a respectful way and there are no personal attacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hollow Hills is west show lines and has fantastic reviews both here and multiple other places. They have two litters right now. May wanna check to see if they have any spots left.

As far as the monks, I had the same thing; like pulling teeth getting info. I researched and researched since I could hardly get anything from them (at that price point they should be breaking it down to the dog's DNA for me lol) and read a lot of unflattering stuff.

When your gut tells you something isn't right, trust it; that's how I ended up writing them off as a no-go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts