German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has heard of the Monks of New Skete?

If you have, do you like them and what they do?

Just wondering if there are any other people on these forums who are fond of what they do. Or if you don't like them, why do you not like them?

I am almost done reading their, "The Art of Raising a Puppy" and i really like it so far and enjoy it. I also bought their other book, "How to be your Dog's Best Friend" and bought their DVD. And have yet to read and watch those.

Just random, but was wondering! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I read the book and also got the dvds.
IMO, like every other book, video, documentary (for dogs or just about anything else) there is some thing that I like and try to apply and other things that I may find superficial or not making sens at all and I just discard it.
I think, to me again, most of what they say he good.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I live close to them and have seen their dogs in person. NOT impressed at all! Very expensive and the puppy I just met in Petsmart looked like a mix breed. I was floored when the owner said she paid $3000 and it was a Skete pup. They sometimes have a 2-3 year waiting list. A doctor friend owned one and he was tall and out of proportion. There are way better breeders out there for all types of shepherds. My breeder just told me the monks visited his kennel & they traded training and breeding advice. My breeder said some of what the monks believed in was way off. He didn't elaborate. Maybe there are people with great experiences. They have been doing this a long time. IMHO their dogs look byb. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I don't know much about the monks, but I am wondering if they are breeding more for temperament and health than for breed standard? If so wouldn't the GSDs make amazing family pets?

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I read their book and there are some things in there that are helpful-the schedule -also have gone up and visited them when I was looking for my first GSD-they were very pleasant and the place is beautiful-haven't seen any of their dogs-

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
as far as their breeding program I have no opinion. I haven't seen any of their dogs.

I really like their training methods though. I read the art of raising a puppy and divine canine. A lot of what I read was being used in my second training class. With the exception of treats. My trainer was into treat free training.

Their training methods my be universal training methods, but they break it down really well in their books.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If you have the opportunity, you should go there. It's an amazing place and they are very pleasant and welcoming to guests. Havoc, our GSD, is from there and he's well within breed standards and has a nice temperament with no health issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts