German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,001 Posts
I've read both and liked both. The new edition retracts the recommendation for the use of the alpha roll, but otherwise it was about the same as the original as I remember (it's been awhile since I've read either book).

I don't consider them old school, but then again I'm not anti-correction during training so I guess if corrections are old school then I'm old school. :confused:

At the very least, their books are an interesting read.

· Registered
4,001 Posts
No, I wouldn't say that. Alpha rolls, skruffing, etc. That stuff I consider very old school. Prongs and "ehhhhs" not so much.

When there are photo illustrations of how to drag your dog around by the neck...yes, that is a big old school.
Apparently I skipped that section because I don't remember that at all. I certainly don't buy into dragging ones dog around, I guess I'd have to reread the books (it's been years) and see what the context of that was.

· Registered
4,001 Posts
The context the scruffing and alpha rolls was in was pretty much if the dog acted up, do X to get it to behave. Granted, alpha roll is not in the new book. But the photos on "how to properly scruff your dog" are.
the alpha rolls were retracted in the later edition, and scruffing - I suppose depending on what the pup is doing I'm not particularly opposed to it. I don't find it useful to scruff a pup if they are simply doing something they shouldn't be (such as chewing on a no no item), but if the pup is running up nipping repeatedly despite verbal corrections and redirection, I wouldn't be opposed to scuffing them and being clear that the behavior is unacceptable. But then, I don't consider it normal for dogs to be 5, 6 ,7+ months old and still being "nippy" like many do. All the jokes about landsharks are funny, but we just consider that unacceptable behavior from day one and set the guidelines early on, so things like that are never a problem here.

I also don't think it's wrong for photos to be provided. Better than letting someone assume it's a different way and doing it incorrectly...if they are going to scruff, it should at least be in a safe and fair manner. Momma dog scruffs pups on a daily basis, there is nothing wrong with scruffing IF it's done in a non abusive manner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.