German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I admit it, I didn't handle the situation in the best way, but I wasn't having a very good day and I got frustrated. Everytime I put on or take off Wolfie's prong collar, he gnaws on my wrist. He hates that collar and I assume he's trying to stop me from putting it on. Or maybe he just hates the control I have because he chews on me when I am taking if off of him He's a very dominant personality. Or maybe it just plain hurts. I don't know but it hurts when he chews on me. I kept saying no biting, trying to redirect with a toy, pushing his mouth away ( which only made it worse) so finally I bit him back on the muzzle. He jumped back and looked at me in shock, like saying , Mom you bit me! He stopped biting me, though and I took his collars off quickly without a fuss. Maybe he won't bite me today. Wishful thinking, I know.

·
Registered
936 Posts
OMG! I cannot stop laughing at the thought of your dog's eyes after you bit him!!!:groovy:

I wish I had done that a couple months ago when I was a walking pin cushion!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
wolfie got a taste of his own medicine huh? lol

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I too did that to Titon once when he was doing that while grooming. He's never tried to "chew" on me again after that unless we're rough housing during play time.

The look on his face was priceless. He never expected the leader of his pack to be able to "bite" back.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wow ..biting a dog back to drive home a point..priceless :)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
LMAO I needed that visual for the day how funny!!!! I bit my son when I had had it with his 1 year tirade of biting from 2-3 years old. The pediatrician kept saying ignore it, but he was damaging me, my DH, our other daughter, friends, neighbors, preschool teachers, and anyone else who didn't give him his way. So one night while I was making dinner he decided he really wanted a cookie and of course I said no, ignored his crying, moved the cookies on top of the fridge out of his reach, then took away the chair he so wisely grabbed to reach them, and he bit me.....hard. He broke skin as a matter of fact so I grabbed his arm and bit him right back......he has NEVER bitten again. Not a proud mommy moment, but hey it did work;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
That is hysterical! I will have to try that next time Kali "greets" me in the morning by trying to eat my face.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I can't stop picturing Wolfie's face!! Thank you for a wonderful morning laugh!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I may be on to something. I put his prong collar on this morning and he didnt bite me!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Haha, reminds me of when the guy bit the husky's ear in Snow Dogs. LOL

I've barked at Ozzy before for something similar. He stopped and tilted his head and then went about other business. Haven't had to bite him, though. Haha.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yup, did that to my Hunter too. He is 6 months old and still gets in these bitting moods. I got mad at him and bit him back. I wish I had a camera handy for that eyes he gave me. What a ham!

Patti

·
Registered
386 Posts
Haha, reminds me of when the guy bit the husky's ear in Snow Dogs. LOL

I've barked at Ozzy before for something similar. He stopped and tilted his head and then went about other business. Haven't had to bite him, though. Haha.
i love it when they tilt their head... i wonder what goes through their head "wth is he doing?" LOL

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
haha i've considered biting Shasta back a few times. Did it to Riley once when he was a puppy and refused to stop biting people. He bit me once and it broke the skin. I bit him back so hard he yelped and NEVER so much as mouthed anyone again. Havent had to do it with Shelby as she's a mouther but gentle about it. Shasta is getting out of hand again so she's probably gonna get bit soon if she keeps this up despite correction.... Its amazing what biting them does! lol.

·
Registered
31,962 Posts
And I was just thinking how happy I am that my dogs are not mouthy. I have never bitten any of them. I had a puppy once that I sold at 13 weeks old. I was SO glad to see him go. I TOLD his new people that he bites. Every time I would pick the cute little bugger up he would bite my NOSE! It HURT!!! It drew blood!!

I am not sure why anyone would think that biting a dog would be ok, but smacking the dog on the muzzle with a firm NO! would not be. But most people on here would not be ok with that. So I will just sit back and be happy that my current lot are not mouthy.

·
Registered
728 Posts
OMG. I'M TRYING THIS. I mean it makes sense, what does mama dog do when the pups bite? She gives 'em a warning nip... I have no other options at this point, my hands are a bloody and scarred mess, it can't continue, I'm afraid I'll get some infection and regardless, they hurt constantly! And I'm running out of hole-less pants!

Seriously, I tried the tapping the nose and "no!" and all he did was come back biting harder, like saying, "oh yeah, I'll show you!" Yelping makes him step back, assess the situation, and then also come back biting harder, as if to find out if a bigger chomp will illicit a louder, funnier scream from me. Next time I'm biting back, thanks Wolfie's mom!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts