German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been reading the site since we got our girl. We got her at 8 was from a pet store. I would have preferred to rescue but that’s another story. I am a first time dog owner. Had a great vet who was willing to talk me through all my 1st mom issues, Fromm kennel cough when we got her to her hip issues because of poor breeding. She is family so we roll with it.

We are military so we moved about a year ago, after initial chewing on door frame she’s acclimated well. She has the run of most of the house. Toys are out when she plays, she likes to take socks out of laundry and put them with her toys.

I am concerned and looking for advice. We found a dog sitter to watch Sandy when we both have to go out of town. She get antsy when just one of us goes. We thought we had made it clear we didn’t want her left alone at night. Unfortunately after many times of watching Sandy this last time she was left alone over night. She chewed up my book bag, luckily she suffered no physical issues, but now she chews something every time we leave. I know it’s anxiety, does anyone have any suggestions how to help her. She has plenty to chew on without pulling papers off our desk. I don’t know how to get her to feel safe again.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Has she ever been crated? My dogs earned the right to have the run of the house, but were very comfortable in their crates when necessary. You really don't want her eating something that can harm her, so into a crate she would go at my house. I would imagine if you confined her to a room, your woodwork might be in for more trouble. Good luck. She's a pretty girl.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Second the crate suggestion. Not only will it save future door frames, it often helps to calm anxious pups down. I'd google youtube for some helpful videos on how to introduce the crate and how to use it. Now is the time to start crate training, even if one of you is out of town. I'd also consider a different pet-sitter...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I've had family members that didn't have too much luck with pet sitters, did not turn out good! I've always just boarded our dogs when out of town, I don't know what the price difference would be but made me feel better they'd be safer. You might check out some places in your area, I chose ones that had indoor/outdoor runs and all were fine with having people come and have a tour before making boarding arrangements. I know they don't like having their routine/schedule changed up much, hopefully she will settle back where she feels comfortable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts