German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what everyones opinions are on feeding 2 different kibbles at the same time. (Say if the dog gets 2 cups per feeding, 1 cup each, of 2 different kibbles.) I don't do this, just wondering if there would be a good reason that it wouldn't be a good idea?

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
I feed one of my dogs two different types of kibble. He gets 1/2 Purina ProPlan for Sensitive Skin & Stomach (Salmon & Rice) and 1/2 Solid Gold Hund N Flocken (Lamb & Rice). He doesn't do well on just either one or on food with chicken, beef, or corn.

It took a lot of trial and error changes to find the right combination for him with his special needs.

My other three dogs get various amount combinations of a Solid Gold WolfKing and raw diet.

I've feed rescues different combinations of kibble. We had a chi mix that would only do well on a kibble diet which included a ration of 1/2 WolfKing -- pure WolfKing and she would get loose bowels and no Wolfking and her medical issues would flair up. She is still being fed this way at her forever home.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: bsinghVA
Originally Posted By: BlackGSDI don't do this, just wondering if there would be a good reason that it wouldn't be a good idea?
You'll need two containers to store food.
Well THAT is no problem. I already have more containers than I have "jobs" for.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally Posted By: StrongheartI read that Whole Dog Journal does not recommend mixing kibbles but rather switching from time to time.
Do they say WHY or just because they say so?

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I am mixing now-which freaks me out-but I am doing it.

I am mixing Orijen 6 Fish and Fromm Salmon.

Next I will mix Nature's Variety Duck with Fromm Duck.

I mix it ahead of time so it's one container.

I like less grains, but am trying to stay away from anything extreme.

Up until recently it has had good results-bloodwork good, coats, happy dogs.

We've had a puke-o-rama and I am not sure the cause...soooo...they are on burger and rice and I would be worried one food or two.

I actually got information from I Love My Mikko about doing both foods, though I do think the idea behind NOT doing it is that each food is formulated to be complete on its own and that by combining you are kind of screwing that up?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
jean- that seems to be the reason why people do not recommend it.

my vet has a different outlook on it and when he explained it, it really made sense. he said that as long as you are mixing 2 or 3 high quality kibbles, they are not going to be lacking anything. he said their body is going to be pulling what it needs from the kibble. he is very big on variety, and feels that this is the best way to provide variety (he also recommends changing this mixture, as jean is doing, every few months or so). also, he brought up a good point about contamination; if a certain food has some sort of contamination, since you are only feeding 1/2 or 1/3 of that food, your dog has a better chance of not getting sick- or as sick as other dogs.

right now we are mixing nature's variety duck with their rabbit formula. next will be orijen 6-fish with something else- maybe merrick's new grain free.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I will try to find the article and reread it.

I mix Rafi's kibble plus he gets canned dog food, raw, eggs, canned fish, cooked chicken, yogurt and homemade. So far I haven't been able to find a kibble that he can handle very well. The mixing doesn't seem to be bothering him and anyone who sees his coat and overall appearance agrees that he looks very healthy.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I mix. Stella has an issue with chicken and Echo seems to have a very sensitive stomach but they both do really really well on the Eagle pack holistic lamb and rice.

Cyrus has poop issues, I have tried every pretty much every food available, and the only other food, other than the Eagle pack that he did well on was the Merrick, but Oh my!! the gas that came out of that dog

Because he so lean and so active I don't think the Eagle pack alone is enough for him, hence the mixing..

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
wow...I envy you guys that can feed variety and switch around. Mya is very sensitive..and just looking at something new causes diarrhea. To change her food is a big production...I could never do it routinely...

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I mix. I feed Zamboni 1/3 NB Fish and Sweet Potato and 2/3 Instinct (either Turkey/Duck or Chicken. I rotate these formulas).

Why? The Instinct is a higher in fat than I'd like for my senior dog. But I don't want to feed her all the carbs in the Natural Balance. I like that the NB has the anti-oxidants of the fish and sweet potatoes, but I don't like the mercury of the fish.

WDJ specifically discussed in their grain-free issue the benefits and problems with feeding a high-fat versus a high-carb diet. I feel that by mixing, I'm getting a better balance of each. There is no one grain-free food that has no potatoes (a huge priority to me) that also has what I need. By blending kibbles, I get the best dry food I can get....til I become filthy rich and start my own commercial dog food company.

For me, it doesn't make sense to rotate...Load her on the fat one month then on the carbs and mercury the next? That's not a great recipe for balance especially for an older gal trying to maintain a puppyish figure, good healthy and lots of energy.

But I think that if dog owners are going to blend, they should have a clear idea why they're doing it. If it's for variety (which I think is a GREAT idea) then I completely agree that it's better to feed one food for several months; then another food --preferably with completely different protein sources -- for another few months. This should (might?) help dogs avoid building food allergies. And THAT is a worthwhile goal, along with variety and balance. I'm not convinced that every kibble is 100% perfect in all ways, even the best ones. So mixing it up just makes sense to me. (As long as you have kids that can tolerate mixing it up, that is.
)

As for containers, I just dump two bags of Instinct into a big Rubbermaid bin along with one bag of NB. Blend vigorously and serve.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Quote:I'm not convinced that every kibble is 100% perfect in all ways, even the best ones.
ooops i forgot to mention the same thing- my vet also believes this and that is the main reason he likes us to mix.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The reason it is recommended not to mix is that each product is balanced unto itself based on energy composition, vitamin mix and mineral content. When you mix foods, especially from different manufacturers you run the risk of supplying too much of certian vitamins or minerals....or not enough as each product is balanced to itself due to energy content and feeding amount.

Cherri

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I just recently switched kibble (rather abruptly due to I just did not like way dog was looking-had fed for 3 yrs prior no problem).Decided to go grain free but he had hard stools as a problem so now I mix Evo red meat with different Natural variety kibble for just a little bulk?As far as variety he also gets moderate amounts of my food too since I live alone and have some leftovers.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Originally Posted By: EastGSDThe reason it is recommended not to mix is that each product is balanced unto itself based on energy composition, vitamin mix and mineral content. When you mix foods, especially from different manufacturers you run the risk of supplying too much of certian vitamins or minerals....or not enough as each product is balanced to itself due to energy content and feeding amount.

Cherri
Yea. That each food is strongest from one major nutrient source (say salmon) but that you should switch among super premium brands say every 3-4 months so the dogs get nutrients from different sources which are absorbed differently by the body.

We had them on Wolf King for 4 months or so and now we are on HundNFlocken, later we'll switch to something else. But I have to admit, our poop log shows it took from Sept. to just last month to stabilize them so their poops are prize winners. Our poop logs has entries like "Rocky had liquid, brown poop, Jessie chunky soup, Felix dark and solid," etc. Now they are all "Medium brown, great segmentation and good mucosity, solid, should be state fair material." It makes me want to keep them on the same thing, when you got a good thing going!

I think the Nupro really evened them out. That stuff is awesome.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Originally Posted By: Strongheart But I have to admit, our poop log shows it took from Sept. to just last month to stabilize them so their poops are prize winners. Our poop logs has entries like "Rocky had liquid, brown poop, Jessie chunky soup, Felix dark and solid," etc. Now they are all "Medium brown, great segmentation and good mucosity, solid, should be state fair material."
I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has kept track
though you're much more descriptive

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have never mixed kibbles until now. It's not something that I won't do forever just for the time being.

It's interesting everyones views on this topic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts