German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my pup from my local animal services when she was 4 months old. She's about 9 months now and she has really interesting behaviors. For example she loves to barter! She's always trying to trade me and my other shepherd mix toys and food. She's even tried to trade a dead frog for a treat ? She's very sensitive, loyal, laid back, and protective. I'm just so curious what mix she is! Any ideas? Her sister was at animal services too and looked just like Bug except all black. She was 54lbs at 8 months and I haven't weighed her in over a month, but she's about the size of my 60lb shepherd/husky mix. Pictures are from when she was about 6 months old.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
Kelpie
Border Collie
Australian Shepherd

Roughly in that order...
All come in a red / chocolate / liver variety

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely considered Kelpie! We live in a rural area so definitely lots of GSDs and other herding breeds around here

·
Registered
31,822 Posts
Wow she is pretty!

Reactions: Bug

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! She's a really cool dog. Very mellow for only being a few months old. She's had no formal training but listens so well. Completely different experience from my husky/shepherd. She was a nightmare until she was sent away for 2 months of training lol

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I'll trade you a dead frog for that dog. :)

Reactions: debr1776 and Bug

·
Super Moderator
6,713 Posts
She is very pretty!

Reactions: Bug

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Your dogs are beautiful. I used the Embark DNA test kit for my shepherd mix. It is the most expensive, but probably the most reliable. They also test for 165 genetic health issues. My girl was negative for everything they tested for. I think they nailed the breed results. Worth every penny, IMO.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you! Maybe I will try the DNA test. She was listed as a purebred german shepherd at the shelter (I think she was an owner surrender). but it's just now starting to bother me that I don't know what she really is.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
just wanted to update this post. I DNA tested her with the Wisdom Panel 4.0 and she is 37.5% GSD 25% husky 25% lab and 12.5% "middle eastern and african breed". truly a super mutt lol
Yeah I got 25%! ? How is she doing now?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I got 25%! ? How is she doing now?
Woohoo! good call. :smile2:

Shes doing great! I dont really see any sibe personality traits (thankfully -- tbh I'm not a huge fan of their craziness), but i definitely see lab and lots of shepherd. shes constantly bringing me various items from around the house, shes awesome off-leash, and she acts like her life is over if she gets in trouble. shes been such a pleasure to raise. my other one was a huge pain in the ***.

I sent off my other mix's DNA test today, so i'm interested to see what that old lady is.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She is a stunning looking mutt :)
Thank you so much! i feel very guilty because i think shes my "heart dog" even though i've had my other one (sadie) for years. anyone else ever feel guilty for maybe perhaps having a little bit of favoritism?:frown2: i absolutely adore sadie, she got me through all the life lessons of high school and college, so i definitely make sure i dont show it. there's just something about Bug that really clicks with me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts