German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i have a mixed breed dog(Mostly GSD) which i rescued him from street when he was 3.5 months old, its male and neutered. He's been suffering from panosteitis since he was 7 months old and now he is 13 months old now. I tried not to tire him with exercises but because he's been with dogs when he was puppy, he likes being around them and wants to run. My question is He gets tired very quickly and he cant run like when he was 5 months old, what i mean is he was running mixed with jumping, i dont know if its correct way to put it :). Is it because of panosteitis? When will he heal? I feel sad when i see him, he sits down and watched other dogs to run and play. Thank in advance for your kind replies. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Sorry to hear your puppy is going through this! I have not had a puppy that had pano, but my understanding is that it goes away usually before 2 yrs of age. There are many many threads in the health forum on pano, maybe you can find advice there that would be helpful. Just click on the magnifying glass and type in Pano. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Are you sure it is pano? A vet ruled out other possible issues? Important to know for sure. If it is pano, yes it usually goes away. Diet can help control it. What are you feeding?

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
Yes it is pano for sure. I feed him Acana.
This is my breeder's advice; 2 x a day 1000 mg Vitamin C, keeping him lean and avoid hard exercise and do not walk him on hard surfaces. Do not feel bad about him not being able to play with other dogs. His healing is more important. A good time to work on obedience and gentle games and tricks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts