German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I noticed our 1 year old GSD has a round patch about the size of a softball missing top coat. It’s just a thick undercoat. It’s right in the middle of his back a few inches below his shoulder blades.

We inspected the skin very well and did find a small, dead, non attached tick. We found no indication of any irritation on the skin.

He hasn’t had a topical flea/tick medication for several months.

Can’t think of what else it would be.

Thoughts?

IMG_3709.jpg
IMG_3717.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
When I tried to look at your pictures this came up:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /forum/vbseo.php on this server.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Puppies’ coats can change color and pattern up to around 2 years of age. So I don’t think it’s a cause of worry.

It seems to me that your pup is a sable. I was told that sable GSDs can completely change colors first 6 months; and then change again over the next 18 months before settling into their final appearance at around the 2 year mark.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
does this dog have any obsessive behaviour?

I had a dog , male, who would , chew/groom his outer coat , never ever touching
the under coat or skin, on one side of his back leg and tail .
This was when there was a female in season.
The effect was like a sculpted carpet. with a whippy tail.
I guess it would be like a person nail biting.

obsessive dogs do well with a bit of extra lecithin in the diet .

he is still with us at 11 years of age - never any other problem , but not bred because
of this trait .

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His coat is definitely changing as he is a sable, but I would think that’d be more due to color as opposed to a patch of fur missing.

He doesn’t have any real obsessive or out of the ordinary behaviors. He scratched his sides a bit, but he can’t reach the area the top coat is missing. Overall he’s just a typical 1 year old GSD health and behavior wise.

It definitely does t seem to irritate him. Should the hair continue to be missing another week or two, we’ll make a trip to the vet just to be safe.

Just very odd to me that it’s clearly just the top coat while the thick underside is intact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts