German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at a loss on how to fix this problem. When DH and I are out of the house, Angus and Freyja have free reign (with a few rooms gated off). They behave and don't destroy anything. We have been working with the dogs to be calm when we get home and have made remarkable progress, with one exception. If somebody such as UPS stops by our house when we are not home, the dogs are extremely amped up when we get home and do not calm down until we enter the house. When they are this worked up Freyja sometimes will snap at Angus, which today resulted in a full fight. I had to force open the door to break the fight up. Both dogs were punished and reprimanded as a result. They are currently lying side by side cleaning each other's wounds.

This only happens when we have a delivery. I try to schedule deliveries for days when we are home, but 99% of the time the delivery is from a relative or is something that we didn't know was coming. Thus we have no control over the delivery. How do I bring calm back to our house when the delivery man comes? I don't want to resort to crating Freyja, as this happens maybe once a month. If there is no delivery, both dogs greet us by lying on the carpet and getting up to give kisses only when we release them. I am so frustrated with this situation.

Any suggestions or advice?

·
Registered
381 Posts
What do the dogs do when UPS makes a delivery and you are home?

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Yes. Crate one of the dogs while you are gone. Or crate both of them.

One is male and one is female?

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Is it possible to put them in different rooms?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I would concentrate on the male, if he doesn't react to her in his face, half the battle is won.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When the UPS man comes they bark at him and keep intense focus. Once they realize he's left the yard they calm down and resume their normal activity...at least that's what happens when I'm home.

Yes it is a male and a female. The female starts the issue.

Separate rooms are not an option, those two are so attached that they will destroy the house to get to each other. Crates have a similar problem. They spend their time trying to figure out how to free each other. They are a wreck when they are not together. This only further complicates issues. The only time they are comfortable being separated is if Angus is with DH and Freyja is with me. They each have their person and are only willing to leave each other if it is for one-on-one time with their person.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Any way to limit their ability to see the UPS guy? Confine them to an area of the house that does not have line of sight if the front? A back bedroom?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
381 Posts
When the UPS man comes they bark at him and keep intense focus. Once they realize he's left the yard they calm down and resume their normal activity...at least that's what happens when I'm home.
You should try to desensitize them to the UPS man, and counter-condition them to do something else when he comes. If you can find some way to simulate the experience (a pretend UPS man), and work on keeping them calm during his visits, then they won't get into the excited state to begin with. It would take a long time and a lot of work.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I would suggest having a separate area for deliveries and a note for where deliveries need to go so they don't amp up the dogs by going to the door. Downside, this would make it more obvious to thieves there may be something awesome in the package. Do you have a neighbor that can accept packages for you (one that you trust of course) when you're not at home?

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Buy better crates.

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
31,907 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think that has to be my all-time shortest post. :D
It's like name that tune. I can solve your problem in three words.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
It's like name that tune. I can solve your problem in three words.

:wild: Name that tune -- are we from the same generation???

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Are you asking if I am old too?
Old? or young. Is the glass half empty or half full?

Yeah, you're right, half-full sounds good on paper, but deep down inside we are mostly half-empty people, and yeah, I was wondering you you are old like me?:D

·
Registered
27,258 Posts
You should try to desensitize them to the UPS man, and counter-condition them to do something else when he comes. If you can find some way to simulate the experience (a pretend UPS man), and work on keeping them calm during his visits, then they won't get into the excited state to begin with. It would take a long time and a lot of work.
My UPS guys run up, standard uniform of sunglasses & hat,drop off a big box and run away.
The dogs think their barking is what makes him run away. It is a very difficult thing to desensitize a dog to someone that is doing what the UPS guys do. Especially when their trucks are heard blocks away.
We have deliveries often and have asked them to leave the packages on the side of the garage, but seldom is it the same guy, or it is fed ex or other service. My nephew is a fed ex guy and has been bitten more than a few times by dogs that aren't contained. He's contracted by fed ex and doesn't make the $ he should for what he does!
I understand the misdirected aggression, Onyx will do it to Kacie whenever there is action happening. Onyx will go for Kacie.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My UPS guys run up, standard uniform of sunglasses & hat,drop off a big box and run away.
The dogs think their barking is what makes him run away. It is a very difficult thing to desensitize a dog to someone that is doing what the UPS guys do. Especially when their trucks are heard blocks away.
We have deliveries often and have asked them to leave the packages on the side of the garage, but seldom is it the same guy, or it is fed ex or other service. My nephew is a fed ex guy and has been bitten more than a few times by dogs that aren't contained. He's contracted by fed ex and doesn't make the $ he should for what he does!
I understand the misdirected aggression, Onyx will do it to Kacie whenever there is action happening. Onyx will go for Kacie.
Yes, I know. The theory is easy, but it is very difficult to do in practice. I am working on desensitizing to Lila to other dogs. We go to the park and I make her sit when the other dogs are 50 feet away, and then out of nowhere, someone comes up from behind me with a dog, or someone has a dog off leash charging her, and it really messes with the training.

The trainers all suggest it, but I wonder if any of them have actually had to do if for real with a dog.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts