German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'd like to get a few opinions because I'm really tired of going to the Vet, paying 50 bucks for 20 seconds of information only to realize if I had waited a few days, it would've been resolved. Bruce is an 8 month year old German Shepherd, we've been going to the dog parks and this week, he's been attacked out of the random by 2 older German Shepherds ( Not play fighting, actual dominance on getting on top and biting), I can't tell if the limp is from that, or is it perhaps that he's been riding in the back of the truck lately, hopping up and down a good 3 ft, or when he jumps on me to play. It's a very minor limp from what I'm seeing, he isn't lethargic at all, he doesn't mind walking on the front right leg however when he's sitting up, he'd rather not put pressure on that right front leg, sometimes it's wobbly or shakes but I think it's just because he's not putting it down on the ground and it's slightly just moving, should I perhaps go to the Vet and check or should I wait a few days with massages and a bit of ice every night with limited movements and see how well that goes?

·
Registered
297 Posts
how long has it been?
if the symptoms started with the fight incident, then it's an injury-induced limp, which will heal just like humans.
what's scary are the symptoms that just gradually appear out of nowhere, which are more than likely hereditary conditions like dysplasia, or panosteitis.

i saw videos that say injury induced limps usually take a week or less to go away.
if it's been more than that, you probably should get it checked out.
be warned. you will probably be asked to get an xray.

that's why my dog has health insurance so my dog goes to the doctor every 4 ~ 5 months on average, and routine fecal exams and stuff

·
Registered
7,510 Posts
It could get better or worse. The only way to know is if you bring your dog to vet. If you decide to wait you must make sure the dog can not get bumped around and continue to put unnecessary pressure on the injured leg.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Hey everyone! I'd like to get a few opinions because I'm really tired of going to the Vet, paying 50 bucks for 20 seconds of information only to realize if I had waited a few days, it would've been resolved. Bruce is an 8 month year old German Shepherd, we've been going to the dog parks and this week, he's been attacked out of the random by 2 older German Shepherds ( Not play fighting, actual dominance on getting on top and biting), I can't tell if the limp is from that, or is it perhaps that he's been riding in the back of the truck lately, hopping up and down a good 3 ft, or when he jumps on me to play. It's a very minor limp from what I'm seeing, he isn't lethargic at all, he doesn't mind walking on the front right leg however when he's sitting up, he'd rather not put pressure on that right front leg, sometimes it's wobbly or shakes but I think it's just because he's not putting it down on the ground and it's slightly just moving, should I perhaps go to the Vet and check or should I wait a few days with massages and a bit of ice every night with limited movements and see how well that goes?

so stop doing stupid things with the dog !
A minor limp now - but unless you change up a few things you may have many othere
problems

stop going to dog parks where your dog gets beat up on . Never good . A limp from the fight is totally possible - soft tissue bruising from a bite on the leg . Setting up for a wary
cautious dog and your dog might be the aggressor the next time in his feeling for self-defense.

riding free in the back of a truck ? The dog could have twisted his pastern trying to stablize
while in motion.
Trauma from the impact of jumping down 3 feet will jar his pasterns - could cause bruising in "wrist" and if radius and ulna growth plates not closed in an immature animal could cause damage which will affect the forelimb's proper development. https://www.dailydogdiscoveries.com/puppy-growth-plates

jumping could cause micro tears micro fractures which need to heal which won't happen if the action keeps being repeated.

"what's scary are the symptoms that just gradually appear out of nowhere, which are more than likely hereditary conditions like dysplasia, or panosteitis "

Panosteitis is transitional -- comes and goes . The dog being discussed is classic -- male , GSD, 8 months of age . Trauma and great exertion can set up the inflammatory process as can poor nutrition and stress.

A fight at the dog park is stress .

Hip dysplasia a hereditary condition -- partially -- the trifactor of genetics , nutrition and environment "life style".

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Any dog of mine under 2 is not allowed to jump out of my truck, they use a ramp. My old dog uses a ramp every time and my other one who is almost 3 now, I will sometimes let jump out if i am in a hurry or something but my aim is that he uses the ramp most of the time. Why put wear and tear like that on him.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well he has been doing this for 4-5 days, I haven't realize and we've been going to the Dog Park everyday while he was limping, so I stopped going since yesterday, I'm hoping a week is enough for him to recover if I just let him rest.

·
Registered
7,510 Posts
If you have been allowing your dog to run and play with other dogs at a dog park while your dog was injured then the best thing you can do for him is take him to the vet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts