German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that a lot of kibble lists the protien content as "minimum". (Such as 25% minimum.)

Anyone know WHY they list the minimum rather than the Maximum? Heck, just because it is 25% minimum, doesn't necessairly mean that it isn't 40% Maximum.

·
Registered
642 Posts
They do it that way so you know that it is never lower then that amount. If they just listed the max then they could say one thing and sell a other.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i thought when they list a percentage on a label there's no variance. i also thought that the protein level should be under 26% when feeding .what do you mean it could be 40% maximum???

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally Posted By: PhazewolfThey do it that way so you know that it is never lower then that amount. If they just listed the max then they could say one thing and sell a other.
But the way it is worded, they still CAN. Just because it SAYS 25% minimum, what is to stop the food from ACTUALLY being HIGHER in protien?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: doggiedadi thought when they list a percentage on a label there's no variance. i also thought that the protein level should be under 26% when feeding .what do you mean it could be 40% maximum???
Just what I said, if it says 25% protien MINIMUM, how do we KNOW that it is actually 25% and not higher?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Originally Posted By: BlackGSD

Just what I said, if it says 25% protien MINIMUM, how do we KNOW that it is actually 25% and not higher?
I guess you don't. Maybe the manufacturer doesn't either

I never thought about this before you brought it up. Do all foods label like this?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: Lucina
Originally Posted By: BlackGSD

I guess you don't. Maybe the manufacturer doesn't either

I never thought about this before you brought it up. Do all foods label like this?
I don't know if they ALL do, but all of the ones I have looked at do. (And while it SEEMS like I have looked at ALL of them
, I really haven't.)

I HAVE looked at 5 different brands of "Grain Free" kibbles and they ALL list the protien as "minimum".

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
It would be very hard to guarantee an exact amount. They are required to tell you the minimum amount and I doubt very much it goes up very much higher. The protein part of the food is the most expensive ingrediet so you can be sure that if they are selling you 25% minimum it will not be anywhere near 40% .... or even 30%. You are probably looking at something like 25% to 26% or close to that area. Remember you are talking $$ here for the manufacturer.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Further to what TJ said:

AAFCO dog standards

Most dog owners are at least vaguely aware of AAFCO standards (in the United States). These are "minimum" standards. It's how the industry works. They aren't required to post "maximums."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts