German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

We are potentially getting a male puppy from a litter in a few weeks but there was a problem with the mother's milk supply so the entire litter has developed much slower than normal. At 5 weeks they were more the size/development of 3 week old puppies. It was a big litter and apparently the mother was not producing enough milk so they tried supplementing with bottle feeding but the puppies wouldn't take and the breeder didn't force it in fears of suffocating them. Eventually they took the mother out at 4.5 weeks so they would be forced to eat the solid/soft food replacement because while she remained with them, they would not eat but would just try to get what little milk was available. They did put a nanny dog in with them in the meantime, she's very nurturing so they are still getting the influence and comfort of mom. They have been improving and are committing to the solid food.

Are there any thoughts about potential health implications of not getting enough milk in the first month? It's a big investment, both financially and emotionally, so we want to consider all options. According to the breeder, she noticed the issue beginning around 10 days in.

Would love to know what people think.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
It is to the breeder's credit that she was upfront with you and she has taken every action to promptly remedy the situation. Since the puppies are improving, eating well, and gaing weight. I would first consult with my vet and if there are no concerns, I would go ahead with plans to purchase one. Otherwise I would look elsewhere.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts