German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are probably moving to Texas from Idaho. We aren't going to sell our house in Idaho yet which means we need to rent in Texas. I've been looking for a nice home that will allow us to have our dog. GRR, I'm so irritated that people are so ridiculous when it comes to allowing animals. I understand not allowing animals at all. But its hard to find anywhere that allows GSD. I wish they would meet the pet in question before deciding that certain breeds are just not allowed. I want my new landlord to meet my big guy anyway and have them both comfortable with each other. Has anyone else struggled with finding a decent place to live with your GSD? Any advice, I honestly don't care what I have to pay to have him with us not having him is not an option.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I rent here in Oregon and let me tell you. Landlords these days read one bad thing on a breed and bing! its a no no to have one. Luckly my Landlord approved of me having my GSD. Only thing I can say is try talking to them. Most GSD's that I have been around including mine are a far better breed temper/brains/attitude than most breeds combined. Have them meet him like your wanting to do and then explain that they are one of the highest decorated and that they are not dangerous at all. If they meet him face to face I am sure they will be ok with it. Only thing is their weight but other than that they are by far the best breed I think on this planet. Hopefully all works out. By the way thank you for doing what you do to make our country a better place to live. My hats off to you.

ShepherdHeaven

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm guessing you are moving to Ft. Hood? I live near there and there are lots of houses for rent that will allow GSDs. Most of the rental agencies can be difficult about any dog over 25 lbs. but lots of owner owned houses are more flexible. My landlady not fond of Rotts or Pits but not a problem with Grace.

Here is a listing on Craigslist House in quiet established neighborhood

If you like PM me and I can see if I can help with your search.

Susan and Grace, GSD

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't forget, some insurance companies won't insure the owner's house if certain breeds live there. I realize this is just as ignorant on their part, all I'm saying is that it may not always just be the owner. I know this doesn't help your situation, just another view point. I know PCS moves are frustrating as it is, good luck in finding something.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
There have been a bunch of moving threads on here recently, and if you go to the Search function you might find them. I'm going to say here what I've said in all of them.

We are military and have two large dogs (a GSD and a Malinois) and two cats. Finding a rental is difficult. Getting on-post housing is impossible because they only allow 2 pets and do not allow German Shepherds (most housing is now privatized and bans specific breeds).

We have had great luck by posting "housing wanted" ads on Craig's List. That is how we found our current place (which is a gorgeous 3 year old modern log home, split level, with a 2 car garage, on 74 acres!) and our previous place (2 bedroom duplex with a 1/2 acre yard, walking distance to the beach).

What I have been doing is posting exactly what we're looking for (x bedrooms, price range, etc.) and exactly whom they'd be renting to (military, 2 dogs, 2 cats). When I get emails to people wanting to rent to us, or in response to ads, I make sure to give details about the dogs - age, UTD on shots, spayed, CGC/TDI (and explain what they are), etc.

On the move before this one, we had an option of meeting the landlord and bringing the dog (we only had Abby then), so that was also a bit of an "interview" for Abby - she had to behave well and make a good impression. She did both. On our last move, we didn't have that option as it was 16+ hours from our old home.

Another option is contacting a local realtor's office (local to where you're moving to) and see if they have any pet-friendly rentals or can refer you to an apartment complex or rental that does allow German Shepherds.

Our move two moves ago, we went that route and found an apartment that allowed GSDs within a very short time frame. At the time, DH's orders had been changed from PA to northern VA, giving us, essentially, two weeks to find a place AND move before he reported in.

Another option is the AHRN (Automated Housing Referral Network) - Automated Housing Referral Network (AHRN.com) v6.0 We have looked at places there, but never had any luck. We've found that most listed were way overpriced for what they were and not pet friendly. But it's worth a look, at any rate.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sincerly, I thank all of you!!! You're all so helpful! our move won't be until this summer but, I am trying to look at options and know what I'm in for! it looks like Fort Hood or Fort Sam Houston, right now we are in a hurry up and wait mode! Thank you again and any info is helpful! I'm just the wife if the Soldier But he is glad to do his job and really loves it!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts