German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My name is Jan and I'm Mom to a 5 yr old 84 pound GSD. We rescued her from a backyard breeder. After we saw her living conditions, we couldn't leave her. Once past the horrible maiming her mama stage, she has been a sweet dog. However, she does have EPI which is controlled and the reason she is 84 pounds and not 30 or dead. We gave her prozac for a couple of years because of her aggression to the other dogs and cats. I weaned her off, because i honestly didn't see much difference. We have started her back on prozac because of her noise anxiety. She had been on Xanax, but I didn't see much difference except she slept hard after the events are over, and I am honestly scared for her. We tried Silieo and that works great, but it is sooo expensive and one $40 tube only treats her 2 times. And it only lasts a couple of hours. Something i can't afford. The other day, I turned around in the shower and there she was. It was thundering.
My question, how can I help her with this. She won't stay in her crate during these things. It's just heartbreaking to see this beautiful dog so scared.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have an older dog who has pretty severe anxiety. I also tried giving her prozac or xanax (can't remember which one now), but it didn't help her. I also tried CBD, but didn't have any luck with that either.

I've had two vets suggest Zyklene (a supplement made from milk protein) and a calming collar like Adaptil and Purina's Calming Care probiotic powder. These are all pretty affordable when compared to the cost you mentioned in your post because each one gives you a month's supply when you buy them. From what my vet said, you could try all of these at the same time if they don't work individually and maybe the combination would help her anxiety.

My personal experience was that they didn't work for my dog, but maybe you would have better luck. Apparently these things work for a lot of dogs, just not mine.

My dog ended up being prescribed trazodone which she is on twice a day (about $20 for 3 week supply). Her anxiety is not completely resolved, but it makes it manageable and keeps her from hurting herself when she gets super anxious.

I hope you can find something that works for your dog!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts