German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, of course we are in the midst of a blizzard.

My 6.5 year old female is 63 days from breeding. She showed some signs of pregnancy but never gained weight or a belly. I decided she probably wasn't carrying, and for various reasons didn't get an ultrasound.

I figured she'd have pups or not.

So, tonight, I noticed I could express small droplets of milk (colostrum) from her nipples. And she didn't eat her breakfast and vomited this afternoon. She seems healthy otherwise. Maybe extra cuddly.

Worried about a singleton. Is this something I should insist on bringing her in tonight for emergency scan and possible ceasar? This is a really special dog and I desperately want these pup(s). If a pup died because I delayed I would be devastated- and of course my dog's health is critical.

I have talked to my vet, she said OK to wait until tomorrow. I have an appt then.

Just looking for collective wisdom of breeders on this forum. Also, I realize this could be false pregnancy, but it's not really looking that way to me, and she's never had one before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,703 Posts
Hope she is ok. I don't have any advice, but I can tell you that one of my fosters dropped 6 healthy puppies 4 days after I got her and we had no idea she was pregnant. She had one of those freaky lines on her tummy that looked like an old spay scar, and had been found on an abandoned farm with two other shepherd looking dogs who were neutered. They had been in the care of AC for 3 weeks when I got them, she had no tummy and looked not one bit pregnant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,919 Posts
Try to trust nature. Don't underestimate c sections. Keep things and her calm (no visitors, no changes in routine, loud noises etc) and comfy because stress can delay the onset of labor (I am a human birth doula :) ) I also would not let her undergo an ultrasound at this time (think 'stress') unless you expect trouble. I assume you have your vet on call/speed dial?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,369 Posts
I would take her in the morning and do an xray or ultrasound, if your vet advises.

I'm sure breeders like Lisa would chime in. Why don't you PM her?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
18,686 Posts
Yes, I would take her in for an x-ray. That would be the safest way to know what is going on. It is not unusual for females with small litters to not go into labor. Is she 63 days from breeding or 63 days from ovulation? That makes a difference too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today she is 64 days from breeding.

I have an appointment with the vet today, and will take her in after work.

Still hoping we might have a small litter hidden in there, but will confirm either way.

I was so hoping for a daughter out of this female, she's a special one.

Thanks all, will update once I've been to the vet!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,278 Posts
With singletons, it frequently happens that the pup doesn't send out enough of the signals (hormones?) needed to start labour. If the owner doesn't get the vet to intervene, you can lose both mom and pup!

Glad you are going to the vet! I have heard of this happening too many times!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bad news is she didn't have any pups.

Good news is her uterus is healthy and no signs of any problems.

I am so disappointed. I tried to do everything perfectly with progesterone timing and reproductive vet, but I think I will try one more time and just go natural, as I did with her first litter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think we'll go visit the male for a few days.

What a ride this was- next time I am certainly going to ultrasound to save myself the guesswork, my vet is awesome, the scan and visit was just $50, which is quite affordable!

The best news is that my girl is happy, healthy, and eager to work. Now for the snow to melt so we can get out and train. For now, we are enjoying skiing and snowshoeing.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top