German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so ridiculously excited! :D I found what I think might be the perfect shepherd for us at our local humane society. I've been doing research for months, trying to decide which rescue to go with, what age/temperament to look for... I went to visit this girl on my lunch break yesterday and when our eyes locked, I thought "That's the one!" She seems to have a very sweet temperament and didn't react at all to the other dogs/people in the shelter. I am taking my boyfriend to meet her and fill out an application as soon as he gets off work. Wish us luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Congrats! Looks beautiful!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Okay well pretty girl is home now and settling in. The adoption counselor was super nice and we are doing a 3 day "home trial." She is four years old and god knows how many pounds. her previous owner wasn't into exercise, sadly. I'm calling her Leisl. :)

Maybe it's just puppy love but I feel like she's a great dog. She is so easygoing and right now is just conked out on my living room floor. I took her for a walk to burn off some energy and she mostly kept a loose leash, was very responsive to me. I will definitely be taking the "two week shutdown" advice to heart and give her a lot of quiet time. I'm so glad to have this forum as a resource! Otherwise I would probably be freaking out right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
yay!!! I hope she works out for you guys! She's beautiful.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
In a few weeks, the real dog will come out. She sounds like a lovely dog who needs and wants a permanent home. You will get all the advice and help you need here on the forum. Congratulations to you and Leisl. :)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Yea for her being with you for a trial!!!

I hope it goes well :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went to finalize the adoption papers and get her shot records today. I wouldn't say no to adopting her for the world! She weighed in at 116 lbs at the shelter. Yikes. I've been going jogging every day and she loves it though. We also decided to keep her original name, Gypsy, since she has a few friends around town that know her by that name and she responds to it well. This is quite the little village we live in and there is a strong shelter volunteer community.

Thanks for the well wishes! I will be excited to post more pics and training updates.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
334 Posts
Congrats, Gypsy is beautiful. Not only do rescue dogs seem to "know" they have been chosen and seem forever grateful, you will find their is no breed like the GSD. Good luck, and looking forward to an update as she settles in and blossoms!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts