German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I'm in the process of buying my second German Shepherd (first working line), and would love to train and compete in PSA with this dog.

I'm new to the sport, so I've been trying to do as much research as possible. I'm located in central Iowa, and as far as I know, there aren't any PSA clubs close by. I'm definitely not opposed to making a drive if necessary for training, but wanted to try to get a feel for what's out there.

Any club knowledge/recommendations, as well as advice for a newbie are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The PSA association only lists these clubs in the midwest which are quite a drive from you:

Find A PSA Club | PSA K9 Region

But is you were to consider an IPO club instead the situation looks better:

This article explains how to find a club in your area and how to evaluate the club:

SCHUTZHUND LIFE

This link from the working dog forum discusses IPO clubs in Iowa:

Any trainers or clubs in Iowa? - Working Dog Forum
Thanks for the info! I've looked at the PSA club list as well, but unfortunately the closest club is 5 hours away. I'm not opposed to doing IPO- just had my heart set on PSA, and not sure if any IPO helpers or club members would be able to help train in a suit.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Thanks for the info! I've looked at the PSA club list as well, but unfortunately the closest club is 5 hours away. I'm not opposed to doing IPO- just had my heart set on PSA, and not sure if any IPO helpers or club members would be able to help train in a suit.
I sympathize and I know what it is like to be far from everything and have to compromise, but sometimes works out for the best. I would suggest asking them and also offering to help with something in return like when they do nosework you could be the one hiding in the blind or help setup and do cleanup.

·
Registered
165 Posts
There is one club here in the Twin Cities that does Sch. The lady/trainer/helper has been around for years and is very knowledgeable. It’s a long ways from you but probably as close as you can get.

I would suggest you try and get some others interested in the sport. Then make a few group trips to some trials and seminars. This will get you started on what you have to train to. Also trial procedures. You will get to hear the judges critique for each dog. These are very valuable.

The hardest part is developing a good helper. This person must develop a good understanding of dealing with dogs of all levels. Not everyone can do this. It easy to let “macho” or “macha ” ( female ) get in the way. Trying to be the tough person just isn’t going to get it. You have to be intently observant of the signs the dogs give you. It’s easy to overpower a young dog or mishandle a pup. Even adult dogs can be difficult to analyze quickly and correctly. Trying to fix problems with force can work badly against you even get someone badly hurt. Learning to handle your dog in training is very important too. If the helper tells you to make like a post....it means don’t move ...not even shuffle, not even slip a little.

Here is the Sch club just west of the Twin Cities

http://minnesotavalley.org/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts