German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like? Dislike? Looking for a good recommendation for home crate and even a good travel crate because we have a cabin in the mountains. My neighbor she has a midwest for her GSD and loves it but wanted to get more opinions than just one.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
What do you mean by "travel crate"? A pop-up wire crate, plastic shipping crate, or "soft" nylon crate?

My favorite crate is Kenya's Precision Pet Suitcase crate. It's a traditional wire crate with a plastic pan that slides out. The wire is a nice sturdy gauge (one web site had a pic of a man and his Belgian Tervuran both standing on top of the dog's crate). It's her home and travel crate. For use in the car, I collapse it flat, slide it onto the backseat, and open it up. It's heavy because of the wire gauge, but I've never had problems setting it up myself. You pull the top up and the sides open up and then you slide the back and the door into place. Other crates advertise themselves and folding "flat", but this is the ONLY crate I've found that doesn't requires sides to be swung up or out to get into place. ie, you don't need any more space than the crate takes up to set it up, hence why I can use it on the back seat of my car even though when it's set up it won't fit through the car door. I also take this crate to shows.

I think the type and quality of the crate depends on the dog. Some dogs can actually bend the doors of cheaper/poorer gauge crates and slip out. We have a cheaper crate (Premier I think) we got Coke and I didn't realize it had two door latches. The first day he tried to push his head out the bottom and bent the door and the bottom wires of the crate. Also some dogs with separation anxiety prefer the more den-like Verikennel plastic crate. I think the Verikennel crate is also the safest for transportation, provided the crate is secured to the core of the vehicle.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
we have midwest lifestages crates. I think we got the biggest one for Kelso, but he could fit in the next size down, which is what Allie has I think.

I have had no problems with them, actually I really like them.
Easy to take to travel as they fold up nice. They are pretty heavy to carry though!

the only gripe I ever had was that Kelso cracked the plastic pan when he was a puppy. You can get replacement pans, ever since then it has never happened again.
I like how you can slide the pan out to clean it.

I also like that it comes with a divider that you can move as pup grows.

The dogs like that it is wire I think as they like to watch out of it while in tha car. Never have had a problem with having to make it more "den like" for them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the travel den style was what i was picturing while writing the post. I was thinking for car rides to our cabin, vet visits that type thing. But if home crates typically have the feature of breaking down for travel, I may just be able to use that. I've seen the verikennels and it's similar to style I used with smaller animals.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will go see what Kenya's is about as well. I definately want something very durable for a strong dog like this.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I have a midwest 2 door wire crate - it was Gracie's puppy crate and is now her car crate. It's the 36 inch model. In the house for night time sleeping, she has the midwest one door, 42 inch crate. DH wants to get the 48 inch so she can stretch out at night but I don't think she'll be in it more than another 6 months or so at night (she's 2 1/2 years and doesn't know when to stop playing so she sleeps in the crate at night).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts