German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Well today when I got home the dog had broken into the house and ransacked the garbage bin and stole pig ears.

I cleaned up the mess which included some m&ms and packaging. the dogs both seemed ok so I didn't think much more off it besides "I hope they haven't eaten anything that will block them up"

Mojo came inside while I was cooking dinner and she seemed just a bit of colour and lethargic.
Yeah that got me worrying - she asked to go outside so i let her out.
About 1.5 hours later I decided to go and give them a small dinner and put them to bed - so they got a big spoon full of meat and some pureed pumpkin.
After she'd eaten Mojo came over and as I looked down on her I just thought "OMG her stomach is huge" - had a feel and she as really distended - instant panic, called my Vet, told her what had happened and she said to bring her in straight away. So off we rush for a 20min trip to the vet.

Her colour and everything was good so they decided it wan't bloat but just a full stomach - they gave her a shot of Apomorphine and we all waited expectantly - after about 2 min up came dinner - then a load of unidentifiable vomit - then another with candy wrapper in it- then another and another and another - 6 full loads of Vomit, it was amazing (even tho I was heaving at the same time LOL)

There was so much we decided to weigh it - including the newspaper used on the floor there was 2.4KG of Vomit.
Poor Mojo was very tired but her stomach deflated instantly after that - the Vet was a bit worried about how much would already be in her intestine but she did poop once we got home and she had about 10 charcoal tablets and a small drink of water.
The Vet said it was a good pick up and that it would not have taken much for her to get gastric torsion with all that stuff in her stomach as well as all that starting to ferment in there because it can't travel through the body fast enough.

Now I have a rather spaced out but deflated dog resting in the crate :) So very relived and I have leant my lesson - not shutting one door could have cost me one of my dogs :(
Sorry for the long story but I wanted to share - if you see ANY kind of bloating after your dog has eaten something he shouldn't - go to the vet!!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Poor Mojo, glad she is ok though it could have been a lot worse.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Glad Mojo is better now.....

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's bright and bubbly this morning :) I'm so relieved :)

Looks like she found a unopened bag of puppy food and gorged on that :/ As well as a few pigs ears and M&Ms

1 - 4 of 4 Posts