German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
29,502 Posts
tattoos -- well, there is no centralization for tatoos either, and they sometimes wear, not everyone looks for them. Sometimes in the ear, sometimes on the thigh. At best, not a sure thing.

Tattoos are good if you have several dogs and need a way to identify them to an AKC inspector. They are good if you want to identify your own dog. I certainly would not trust a shelter to do anything with a tattoo.

Collars are ok if your dog wears them 24/7 and they do not break away. Of course, they can kill the dog too. Not a sure thing either.

Chips are only as good as the ability of the scanners and the willingness of the people to scan them. Certainly not a sure thing either.

Of course ANY time your dog is loose and not under control, they may be run over or shot or taken or attacked. So the best thing to do is to protect your dog by keeping them safe.

· Registered
29,502 Posts
I think that with a chip, if you find your stolen dog yourself -- don't expect the police to be too fussed about your missing dog -- and you claim that the dog is yours, a microchip might be a good way to prove that the dog is yours.

Other than that, it qualifies as permanent identification for OFA ratings. That is why they are in my dogs. To protect them in the event that they are lost and then found, well, that would be a bonus if it happened and worked.

· Registered
29,502 Posts
Well, why don't you go to Europe and live there, and get your dog chipped there, and you will be happy then.

· Registered
29,502 Posts
You want to pay for it? How? Which company should HAVE to change their chips or scanners??? Should ALL scanners be able to read any chip however many digits they have, including European chips?

Should every tiny rural shelter and vet clinic be provided the universal scanners free of charge.

Gwenhwyfair, if you are a multi-millionaire, maybe you can do this with all that dough you have nothing better to do with.

You go!

BTW, some of my dogs have homeagain, some have avid.

Using the government's time to mess around with dog chips is simply not on my list of priorties for government.

· Registered
29,502 Posts
Mine are not registered through the CAR system. My last few dogs are signed up through that, but their chips are only registered with the chip companies, Avid or HomeAgain.

· Registered
29,502 Posts
People have a false sense of security with tags as well.

Co-workers of mine lost their dog and a neighbor told them that another neighbor took it to the pound. The pound never called them even though the dog had tags on.

They went to the pound and confronted them about it.

The pound told them that they ONLY honor licenses. If the dog is not wearing a license, then they do not bother to call any numbers on any other tags.

I guess that isn't in their job description, you know, to get a lost dog back to its owner.

NEVER NEVER NEVER think your dog is safe.

DO NOT CALL the pound and ask if they picked up or anyone brought in and German Shepherds. They tell you no, and then you walk back where the dogs are, and there are 2 or 3 sheps that weren't there two days ago.

Do not blame microchip companies for not keeping your dog safe. That is your job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.