German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new little girl hails from Europe and has a full duplex ISO chip made by Bayer.

Took her to the vet for last round of booster shots and asked the vet to scan for the chip. NO chip found! My vet explains to me that chips are not standardized in the U.S. Chip makers have (and some continue to) make chips 'properitary', so that only the chip manufacturers scanner can read the chip.

So I did the research and found that petlink and a couple of others make a 'black label' scanner which reads multiple varities of chips. Off I go to Banfield because they have a scanner which can pick up the ISO chips, have her chip scanned, it reads O.K. with the correct ID number.

So the next problem, some of the chip manufacturers in the U.S. also have proprietary databases, so if your dog's chip is scanned (which is not a guarantee) you still may not be able to find the company with which the chip is registered.

In my research I found that dogs which had been microchipped had been euthanised at shelters because of this.

I gather that there are some efforts to centeralize all of this, but some manufacturers are really dragging their feet (don't want to loose their market share, it's o.k. if a few dogs die....I guess...:crazy: )

<vent> WHY are we so behind Europe on standardizing microchips! This defeats the purpose of putting microchips in dogs, shelters and vets can't afford to buy 4, 5 or 6 different scanners....for crying out loud, then having to search multiple data bases.... </end vent>

Question: I'm registered with petlink's database, it seems to cross reference on the net with most of the other registries. Any suggestions of other registries which will accept the new 15 digit ISO chips?

Warning: Research the chips and technology before putting one in your dog!

Here's and informative link about this topic at wiki:

Microchip implant (animal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I think alot of it depends on what micochip company you use. Where I am most shelters, rescues and vet offices use Home Again, which I have in both of my dogs.

Also wiki isn't a very good source IMO.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think alot of it depends on what micochip company you use. Where I am most shelters, rescues and vet offices use Home Again, which I have in both of my dogs.

Also wiki isn't a very good source IMO.

wiki isn't the best source for some things, but my first source was the my vet, the second vet confirmed and my additional research as well.

Just be warned that if your dog gets lost and winds up at shelter with a scanner that does not read the homeagain chip....for all practical purposes your dog is not chipped.

Please do take a moment look at the wiki link as it has a cross-compatibility table at the bottom

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
wiki isn't the best source for some things, but my first source was the my vet, the second vet confirmed and my additional resereach as well.

Just be warned that if you dog gets lost and winds up at shelter with a scanner that does not read the homeagain chip....for all practical purposes your dog is not chipped.

Please do take a moment look at the wiki link as it has a cross-compatibility table at the bottom

Like I said, in my area, most of the shelters, rescues, and vet offices use the same chip company we use. So they have the scanner.It was out vets suggestion of getting the chip for Molly, and the shelter already implanted the chip in Tanner

And plus neither of my dogs go far, Tanner may run to the end of the block, but thats it. Molly refuses to leave the front yard. My city is rather small, almost everyone knows what my dogs look like and who they belong to.

I think it depends on the area in which you live and which company you use and company shelters, rescues, and vet offices use.. I see the warning you sending, but for me it doesn't mean much.

·
Registered
386 Posts
when my pup had a vet visit i asked them if they would scan him... didn't look like a fancy device and i don't know the brand, but it read the chip just fine.... might have to take him to the pound to see if it reads there just in case

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O.k. but sheesh, I was really surprised that there isn't a standard! Dogs have died because of this and it meant something to their owners. Some day you may have to travel with your pets.

It's just not right and it's because of greed.

Like I said, in my area, most of the shelters, rescues, and vet offices use the same chip company we use. So they have the scanner.It was out vets suggestion of getting the chip for Molly, and the shelter already implanted the chip in Tanner

And plus neither of my dogs go far, Tanner may run to the end of the block, but thats it. Molly refuses to leave the front yard. My city is rather small, almost everyone knows what my dogs look like and who they belong to.

I think it depends on the area in which you live and which company you use and company shelters, rescues, and vet offices use.. I see the warning you sending, but for me it doesn't mean much.

·
Registered
386 Posts
O.k. but sheesh, I was really surprised that there isn't a standard! Dogs have died because of this and it meant something to their owners. Some day you may have to travel with your pets.

It's just not right and it's because of greed.
well if your too awfully worried about it, you could get him tattoo'ed

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when my pup had a vet visit i asked them if they would scan him... didn't look like a fancy device and i don't know the brand, but it read the chip just fine.... might have to take him to the pound to see if it reads there just in case
You may also want to contact the manufacturer of the chip and find out what kind it is first...then you'll have a better idea of what kind/brand of scanner will read it.

Another comment about this in general: A lot of people, I am finding, don't know that there is a cross compatibility problem between chips and scanners. That is misleading when a company like homeagain sells all these 'warm and fuzzies' knowing that many companies don't read each other's chips. Some went so far to encrypt the chips!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
It has been this way for a while. When I got my first pets chipped I picked what seemed to be the most common chip for my area. So far I've never had a problem with it being read.

When one of my pets was lost recently (she got away from the people taking care of her and it spooked her being chased), she was returned to me because of the ID plate on her collar. If having a pet returned is the main concern, I would definitely get good ID plates for collars. Even if a pet has a chip that can be read and is up to date, it's amazing how many people aren't aware they exist or are too lazy to take the animal to get scanned. Even in threads on this forum people have found dogs and didn't take the animal to be scanned first thing.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well if your too awfully worried about it, you could get him tattoo'ed
I was thinking about that...

What gets me is the principle of this. It's just wrong to take money from people and then make the chips manufacturer specific and if dog gets put down...oh well? yeah I'm must say I'm angry.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Tattooes are an option, and I don't travel much. If I do travel somewhere out of the state I may or may not bring my dogs. If I am just going to another city in my state I leave my dogs at home and have my neighbors watch them.

Not all chip companies are bad. You just have to see what companies are being used in your area.

Also I have tags for my dog's collars, not just chips. My shelter will take in dogs and keep them for the owner(chipped or not).

·
Registered
386 Posts
I was thinking about that...

What gets me is the principle of this. It's just wrong to take money from people and then make the chips manufacturer specific and if dog gets put down...oh well? yeah I'm must say I'm angry.
completely agree... i know my vet can read it so im gonna go to the pound and make sure they can read it

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not me, I got my puppers scanned and right off the bat the vets AVID scanner did not find the chip. Have id tags on her collar too.

I agree one shouldn't depend soley on microchips, even if we had a standardized system.

Still what the U.S. microchip companies are doing is wrong on a lot of levels.

It has been this way for a while. When I got my first pets chipped I picked what seemed to be the most common chip for my area. So far I've never had a problem with it being read.

When one of my pets was lost recently (she got away from the people taking care of her and it spooked her being chased), she was returned to me because of the ID plate on her collar. If having a pet returned is the main concern, I would definitely get good ID plates for collars. Even if a pet has a chip that can be read and is up to date, it's amazing how many people aren't aware they exist or are too lazy to take the animal to get scanned. Even in threads on this forum people have found dogs and didn't take the animal to be scanned first thing.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Its sad that the dogs get put down. I think that rescues and shelters(that have websites) need to have something on their website that lists all the dogs they have that are lost and have no microchips, so an owner can look online and see if their dog is listed and go get their dog.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I guess I don't get why you think this is just a US problem?

And as far as standardizing...they are not a legal requirement. I don't think the world over you will ever have standarization of the product.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have to respectfully disagree with you, the U.S. chip companies stink! Some of the same companies make ISO chips in Europe why the heck aren't they doing it here? Money money money trumps saving pets.

The frequency and format of ALL chips and scanners should be standardized as they are in Europe.

A lot of people, including myself, travel with my pets. If I am to pay for extra protection, if my dog is scanned, it darn well should work no matter where I am in the U.S.

It's also not fair that vets, shelters and rescues have to pick and choose and pay for different scanners. Banfield had a total of three but they are a big chain.

Tattooes are an option, and I don't travel much. If I do travel somewhere out of the state I may or may not bring my dogs. If I am just going to another city in my state I leave my dogs at home and have my neighbors watch them.

Not all chip companies are bad. You just have to see what companies are being used in your area.

Also I have tags for my dog's collars, not just chips. My shelter will take in dogs and keep them for the owner(chipped or not).

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
not all shelters bother to scan anyway. Last I talked to my local AC, they only scan if you call that your dog is lost and tell them that you have a chip. It's like birth control, I never rely on just one method since nothing is 100%

·
Registered
31,962 Posts
tattoos -- well, there is no centralization for tatoos either, and they sometimes wear, not everyone looks for them. Sometimes in the ear, sometimes on the thigh. At best, not a sure thing.

Tattoos are good if you have several dogs and need a way to identify them to an AKC inspector. They are good if you want to identify your own dog. I certainly would not trust a shelter to do anything with a tattoo.

Collars are ok if your dog wears them 24/7 and they do not break away. Of course, they can kill the dog too. Not a sure thing either.

Chips are only as good as the ability of the scanners and the willingness of the people to scan them. Certainly not a sure thing either.

Of course ANY time your dog is loose and not under control, they may be run over or shot or taken or attacked. So the best thing to do is to protect your dog by keeping them safe.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
There still are some areas that aren't fully on board. If you are traveling to an EU country or from one EU contry to another it's mandatory to have a 15 digit ISO chip (or your own scanner, I must add). Therefore dogs imported from EU (and other ISO compliant countries) into the U.S. will have the 15 digit ISO chip.

A person who implants a chip in their dog in Germany and travels from Kiel to Munich and the pet gets lost can be assured if the pet is scanned the chip will be read. That's not the case in the U.S. even if you travel from one end of your city to the other.

What I'm talking about is, within the U.S. it should be mandatory, should a consumer decide to implant a microchip in their pet, that it be universal so it can be read by any scanner. Anything less defeats the true purpose of putting a microchip in your pet.

(btw- I don't expect third world places to get on board, so world over no, the U.S. why not?)

I guess I don't get why you think this is just a US problem?

And as far as standardizing...they are not a legal requirement. I don't think the world over you will ever have standarization of the product.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
What exactly do you mean by "ISO" chips? Are you talking about the standards organization? You realize that all "ISO" things are not exactly "standardized" in the literal sense, right? ISO sets minimum standards and criteria for a variety of things, but they do not have to all be the same. For instance, my lab is "ISO accredited," and we have to meet MINIMUM standards and follow our lab's policies and procedures, but those policies and procedures might be different at the next lab. Just because all chips in Europe are under ISO standards doesn't mean they are all the same--just like all the devices my husbands medical device company makes are meeting certain ISO standards...but the next company will be making a completely different product on the end line.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts