German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always had my dogs enrolled through HomeAgain but recently got some paperwork in the mail for AKC CAR. Can anyone tell me their experiences with the latter and/or why they chose that over HA? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
There is only one option of who to register with in my area and I have never heard of the AKC CAR.

·
Super Moderator
32,411 Posts
AKC CAR (Companion Animal Recovery) is the original pet registry. They've been around far longer than Home Again (the Home Again chips in my first few microchipped dogs and both my current cats are registered with the AKC program), who only started their own registry a few years ago. I'm sure there are other registries too, but those are the only two I'm aware of. You can register any chip implanted in any pet with the AKC CAR.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cassidy's Mom;2012213[B said:
]AKC CAR (Companion Animal Recovery) is the original pet registry. They've been around far longer than Home Again [/B](the Home Again chips in my first few microchipped dogs and both my current cats are registered with the AKC program), who only started their own registry a few years ago. I'm sure there are other registries too, but those are the only two I'm aware of. You can register any chip implanted in any pet with the AKC CAR.
I did not know that!!!

I read a lot of old threads on here and it would appear that I don't need to pay the yearly fee with HomeAgain to keep my pups enrolled? That's only for the "extras"? I think I might enroll in AKC CAR too/instead.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Home-again sends out those alerts via e-mail and thru snail mail. I know of a few people who paid the "annual" fee not knowing their dog is lifetime registered.
The way they go about it is sneaky and I will not ever go with home again again!!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I have both HomeAgain and AKC Car for Jamie. I like HomeAgain because they email if there is any lost animals in your area. The annual fee is a little tricky with them, but you don't have to pay it if you don't want to. You can keep a tab on your account on their website which is handy. Like I said I have both and it gives me an extra sense of security that maybe if my girl became lost I would likely get her back.

·
Super Moderator
32,411 Posts
I did not know that!!!

I read a lot of old threads on here and it would appear that I don't need to pay the yearly fee with HomeAgain to keep my pups enrolled? That's only for the "extras"? I think I might enroll in AKC CAR too/instead.
That is correct - you pay a one-time fee to register your pet with the AKC. I think Home Again has that option too, or they did at one time. The annual fee is for extra stuff that I don't need, so I've never done that.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm interesting - I thought I HAD to pay that annual fee...so, the two dogs that my ex kept say "expired" under my HomeAgain site, does that mean just the extra stuff is expired or the whole registration?

Also, what about 24HourPetWatch or the one through Avid? Any experiences with those? Or is AKC CAR pretty much the way to go?

I've been split from my ex for almost a year now and really should get new tags on the boys' collars - but I want to update everything at the same time so I'm trying to figure out what is the best route.

Thanks for the responses!!

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Home again makes it sound like you have to pay an annual fee to keep the dog registered in the database....very sneaky on their part. Once you pay the initial fee at registration, that is good for the life of the dog...the other "annual" fee is for the extras.
Just go on the home again site, and you can update your info. I think everyone should because usually they register a pup, and the weight, color changes.
And have the vet scan chips when you go in for an exam...to make sure the chip hasn't migrated.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Both my dogs have AVID chips. Raina has a tattoo as well. The AVID chips only require one registration fee and there is a number if you need to change information like address or contact numbers. Never had to pay anything except the first registration.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Ok sorry if this is a bit of a hijack but the pup I'm getting has a home again chip in it can I still register it will HA AND the AKC one for the same chip?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Ok sorry if this is a bit of a hijack but the pup I'm getting has a home again chip in it can I still register it will HA AND the AKC one for the same chip?
AKC CAR uses the AKC ID number and your HomeAgain microchip number. I have Jamie with both HA and CAR. The HA uses only HA microchip number, but the CAR has both when you sign up with them they will ask you if you have a microchip and if so you need to give them the microchip number so both numbers show up with CAR.
You probably could put the AKC CAR number with HomeAgain info because they do give you a box for additional information so when they send out flyers if your pet is lost and both numbers would be on there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts