German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a discussion on another board. I'd love to hear a broader sampling. Please respond with the age your dog was chipped, what type of chip was used and did it migrate. My personal and very unscientific opinion is that a chip implanted in a rapidly growing puppy has a greater likelyhood of migrating. It would be nice to actually get some data about this. My dogs.... Both have Home Again chips. One done at 2 years and the other at 6 months. To this point, neither have migrated.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
copied from that other board:
My pup was done at 7 weeks by the breeder, it migrated down a bit to his left shoulder area. My rescue was done as a pup, but I don't know what age, and hers migrated down her right shoulder but really low. AVID for both dogs. My other dog, has homeagain(7 months of age it was injected) and hers is intact between the shoulder blades.
One other thing, if the chip won't read, you can 'reactivate' it by running a magnet over the body.
It's a really good idea if you are going for HW tests this time of year, to have the vet scan for it, to be sure your chip is still reading(and update any info!).

·
5,627 Posts
Raven - chipped at 6 months old, No migration
Kaiser - chipped at approx 1 year old, migrated to his right side just past his shoulder
Holly - chipped at 6 months old, No migration

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
What brand of chips Jamie?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And please include the current age of the dogs chipped. I'm interested in seeing if there is a correlation between age of chipping or length of time the chip was in the dog regarding migration.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Chipped at 2yrs he's now almost 11 and no migration-home again

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
My Golden was chipped with an AVID chip at about 2 years old, it didn't migrate.
However when she was 12 years old we found out she had a second chip that we didn't know about, it was down the bottom of her chest near her elbow. She was scanned at least twice as she was found as a stray originally and that chip was not found so we don't know if it was broken, never activated or what. So I don't know when it was inserted or what type, but it was before she was found at 2 years.

Apparently the older chips were more likely to migrate, they started adding something to keep them from migrating as often.
I have had 5 cats microchipped as young kittens and none of the chips migrated (AVID, Home Again, and ResQ).

·
5,627 Posts
What brand of chips Jamie?
Opps sorry.

Raven - TruePaws
Kaiser - HomeAgain
Holly - HomeAgain

ETA: the last time Raven was scanned was at least a year ago - she is now 5. Kaiser is 3 but was scanned 6 months after he was chipped and it was already migrated. I don't think he grew much at all from the time he was chipped. Holly is now 2.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My oldest was chipped at the shelter, I want to say it was Avid. Hers is gone, she has been scanned several times and when I say several I mean about 10-15 times and no one can find it. One place brought out 3 different scanners because they couldn't find it. Everytime I take her somewhere that has the scanner I have her scanned because I didn't think it could disappear. I don't know where it went, but it is gone or more so they declared it gone:crazy:

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
llombardo, have you run a magnet over her body? That will reactivate chips(if it is still there).

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Zeke was done at about 2-3 years of age, no migration. Luther was done as a young pup, <4 months of age, and his never migrated either.

My cat was done when we adopted him, so around 4-5 years of age, and his has migrated to his right front elbow.

Berlin was done at 9 weeks of age, so it will be interesting to see.

In my experience, most chips in canines migrate SOMEWHERE along their upper back region around their scruff area where it was done, but I've never noticed a significant migration in dogs. The farthest I've ever seen on was a little farther down on the front side of the dog, about halfway down the scapula. But even that should easily be found. Usually it's cats that I see migrate more, I think in general they tend to have more Subcutaneous space.

When they teach a shelter worker or veterinary employee to scan for microchips, you should scan in a weaving S motion all up and down the back and sides of the animal, to ensure you don't miss one. You should always check yours when you go in to your vet clinic just to be safe. Mr. Kitty's is in a spot where it IS easily missed unless you scan underneath him, so I plan on microchipping him again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts