German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing research a lot on my own spare time just trying to make sense of a lot of common dog health issuues. A lot is just good to know if you want to have a dog for life and more.

I am having trouble understanding some stuff what is microbial infections??

Also why would a product treating that not be the same as products treating stuff such as yeast infections?

And is a yeast infection and bacteria infection the same thing? Kinda confused there???

Help

My dog is doing good though compared to last year but I don't want to jinx myself I want to keep it this way and i want her to be as good as every other dog. I feel like all the steriods and anti biotics she was put on like (Do you call it DOXY???) made her weak and open to yeast infections, DO you guys agree with that? The doxy can make you weak ? also before the doxy she was on some kind of steriod medication for so long!! I think that had a big part in making her immune system weak :( :( DO you guys agree here or ?

Things are getting good now but i want to learn as much as i can but it seems like last years medications made immune system weak and them bam all of a sudden most horrible bacteria/yeast infections ? and reactions from her allergyies. Things that we could have had a control over before.

It is going nice now though not perfect but i mean shes never itching, never licking feet dont seem red, just a lil off red tiny bit but does not seem to bug her. So my interest is just in learning more about it so something like this never happens again.

THe vets told me to treat topical always as much as possible and oral as a serious serious last resort. THey really feel that we do not ever go oral unless there is a serious reason for it now. No matter how bad things look they want me to keep at it. which is what i did.

DAILY Foot washes with powerful shampoo medicated plus carmens products had to play a huge huge part and the olive leaf product a long with some sprays is why i think i got things this way to have a dog who does not itch or lick. Or in discomfort. Just a huge combination of things.

OH and food change changing to canine cavair was the only food that she can digest. ANd only has 1 carb and 1 protien. along with pre and pro boitics.

WIth all the good stuff shes getting I can not see her not getting a long long life over 10 years.

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
Yeast and bacteria are different organisms.

I guess in theory the doxy can open a dog up to yeast infections. Doxy kills bacteria, bad AND good. Good bacteria keeps the bad bacteria in check. When the system is not balanced and good bacteria is low, yeast infections could occur.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
hi - you get the anti biotic to treat the bacterial infection , which leaves an opening for yeast to take hold . Pro biotics will restore the proper gut flora for the immune system to work at optimal .

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yeast and bacteria are different organisms.

I guess in theory the doxy can open a dog up to yeast infections. Doxy kills bacteria, bad AND good. Good bacteria keeps the bad bacteria in check. When the system is not balanced and good bacteria is low, yeast infections could occur.
:thumbup:

Antibiotics can't tell good and bad bacteria -just lowers all bacteria numbers. Bad bacteria or ( yeast!)can fill the niche that normal flora would usually exist in. A bacterium (or yeast!) that was harmless under normal conditions (low numbers)can gain a foothold due to all the good bac wiped out and over grow.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay thanks so correct me if i am wrong but it starts off with a bacteria infecation usually and then the yeast begins to grow or comes from there right, after the infection.

Is microbial just another term for bacteria then?

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
microbial refers to a microscopic organism, which can be good , but generally used when talking about pathogenic or bacterial disease causing.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Gotta look into pharmacodynamics for why one drug treats one infection and not another. Lol

Microbial is just tiny microorganisms.

To treat yeast (fungal) infections, a few specific classes of drugs are used, mainly "azole" drugs (i.e.fluconazole) Microbial infections can be bacterial, fungal ect so treatment depends on what microorganism it is.

Doxycycline caaaann cause muscle weakness, and since it is an antibiotic, would make it more likely for a yeast infection to occur. Good to give it with yogurt or kefir to add in good bacteria or add a good probiotic.

Yeast is fungal. Bacterial is not fungal.

If she was on a steroid, most likely pred, it suppresses the immune system, so yes technically can make them more prone to illness/infection. Long term use of pred can be not so good.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
629 Posts
okay thanks so correct me if i am wrong but it starts off with a bacteria infecation usually and then the yeast begins to grow or comes from there right, after the infection.

Is microbial just another term for bacteria then?
It all depends but something would be out-of-whack to cause bacterial/yeast numbers to increase -infection.

But what I think you're referring to is okay bacterial infection present go to the MD s/he prescribes Abx. The Abx lowers all bacteria numbers, good and bad, system becomes out of whack again! Since good bac is gone -which is bad! Something grabs the niche(where the good/indifferent microbes would be normally) we'll say yeast in this case, starts growing and growing now thriving! Numbers get really high then BAM! Yeast infection back to the MD...happens to women often. But then again, doesn't ALWAYS have to occur.

If continuously reoccurring it is important to address the underlying cause -poor immune system due to stress? malnourishment? A wound?

So if you have reoccurring yeast infections I would not want to treat the symptom -like say the smell, but would want to address what is causing the yeast overgrowth?

A microbe is just an organism you need a microscope to see. So yes bacteria are microbes. Microbes can be good, bad, or indifferent depending on the environment.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
thanks all, wow so many of you really know your stuff, feels like im aound a bunch of vets lol

yes she was put on a steriod first i dont remember the name but then shortly after she was put on doxy

The insane flair up happened right after she went off doxy. So is it common for the infection to start after or even during the doxy? I guess either since anti boitics dont stop yeast.

I wonder also a lot that vets cannot tell the diff between bacteria infections and yeast infections. I think they might confuse the 2 and perscribe the wrong thing?

Meds never solved my dogs issues, diet changes, foot washes, sprays and pro/pre boitics, enzymes, vitiamins, supplements and special oils put her close back to a normal dog again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts