German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, a young, medium sized mix dog followed a co-worker inside our shop. The dog was uber friendly. She still had her belly shaved from a recent spay. She was slick clean. Well muscled and well fed. She had the marks on her neck where her hair was flat from a collar. Sadly, it was missing.

My co-worker and I ran her up to my vet. Surely, she must be micro chipped. But she wasn't. My vet said she looked very healthy and well taken care of. She even commented on the 'inside sutures' for the spay.

I have a house full, I can't take her home. My co-worker is leaving on Friday to go out of town for two weeks. She couldn't take her home. The thought of bringing her back to work and turning her lose, was not an option. I work in an industrial area.

My vet advised to take her to our local animal shelter. That is the first place owners call. Surely, someone has to be missing this dog.

Dragging our feet, we took her to the shelter. It totally broke my heart. You could see the impact hearing the dogs barking and crying was having on this sweet little girl. My co-worker sat on the floor and let her crawl up into her lap while I filled out the paperwork. We were both upset.

The shelter worker (after he scanned her as well) assured us that the owners would look for this pup. She is well taken care of. He said normal procedure was to hold the dog for 72 hours. Then they take up to 10 days to observe the dog to make sure it's adoptable. After that they put her up for adoption.

Using MY leash, he took her to the back. She gladly followed, wagging her tail. I went to the door and watched through the window. You could tell she was bothered by the dogs on either side of her barking and throwing a fit. Her tail was between her legs, but she followed the worker and never pulled on the leash.

My co-worker and I were silent as we drove back to the office. Both of us feeling guilty about leaving the dog there. We drove around the neighborhood closest to our office, looking for signs. We didn't see any.

As we walked from the parking lot back to our building she said, "Well, I'll be back from vacation on the 8th. You wanna go back with me? Just in case? If she's still there, I'll figure something out. "

I sure do.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Oh that's so sad, but you can check to see if her people found her. Poor dog.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Aw, I would feel torn like you as well but sadly there was nothing you could do. I would follow-up to see if her owners got her. Follow-up with us too because I want to hear a happy ending.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Aww :(

It's an awful lot to ask, but is there any way you can post an ad that she was found and where she was taken? Maybe some flyers or one or some of the lost dog websites I've seen others mention here on the forum? Might relieve some of your grief.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
It kills me to read stories like this. I hope someone comes for her.

Über

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My co-worker and I are going to take our dogs for a walk tonight along the same route. We're going to ask around anybody we see. We're hoping someone will ask us if we've seen her....It's worth a try.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Help the shelter out by advertising her where her owner might see her. For example, check for a "Lost Pets of ___" (your town) group on Facebook, and if one exists, put a cell phone picture of her up there. That FB group is reuniting a lot of dogs and owners here. Also, post to Craigslist lost and found -- just a description of the dog, no pic.

Thanks for providing her a safety net. As much as the shelter workers mean well by saying she'll go up for adoption, at nearly every open intake shelter, that is contingent on space. After the hold period, at most public shelters, any animal can be euthed if they run out of space. I would go back and ask them to put a note on her kennel card or computer record that says something like: "DO NOT EUTH. [YOUR NAME] WILL ADOPT OR FOSTER IF NO OWNER FOUND. TEL. ______." (I would do this in person, rather than over the phone...as phone messages get lost at some shelters.) A note like that can save a dog's life in an open intake shelter--it's very important that she have a record in the shelter that she has someone who will come if needed.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
So I am new to the chip thing, already have "I am chipped" on his tag.

Our vet does it when they neuter, and hopefully that's not for a while. Can it be done before? Is it big/painful?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Chipping is not painful. Fiona was chipped when she was 12 weeks. Took maybe 5 minutes. Kinda like getting ear pierced for humans.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
That's really sad :( You think a owner that would take good care of their dog would think to chip them as well. You did what you could and I hope the owner does reunite with the dog

All my animals are chipped, even my cats and each time we're at the vet I get them scanned to make sure they're still active, Delgado's chip from the breeder wasn't working when he went it to be neutered so I chipped him again just to make sure. The local shelter runs a clinic every month, it cost me $100 to get three microchips done, it cost me abbot $60 just to do the one at the vet. I consider it money well spent.

I encourage everyone to chip, family and friends and even strangers if they ask. It's really not worth the heart ache like that to loose your animal and take the chance they're picked up by someone else who either steals them or releases them to the shelter and doesn't follow up. Also make sure your information is always up to date!

Even if the animal is stolen it's common practice for vets and shelters to scan for chips, so if the thief takes them into a vet and the chip is discovered they will be contacting you to find out what's going on. Peace of mind is priceless

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl has an appointment Friday afternoon to be chipped. This is not going to happen to her.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
I heard it was painful.
I was going to do it at neutering, but that won't be for a while.
Hans does have an ear tattoo, though.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Especially chip cats! Dog owners tend to be a bit more proactive, but it is estimated that only 10% of lost cats are returned to their owners.

Also scan every time you go to the vet. Some chips stop working and some migrate. Mr. Kitty's has migrated down behind his elbow, into his armpit. To read it you have to scan under him. So I had him re-chipped

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I'm going to buy my own scanner after I find out what numerical format my Vet is using for the transmitter.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Ear tattoos can be pointless as far as a shelter worker finding an owner. Theres not exactly a national ear tattoo registry.

Microchips are done with 14g needles (may be 12g). It is a larger needle but is one injection and done. I had Berlin done at 9 weeks and he didn't even flinch. I personally wouldn't wait until neutering. There's no need, and what if puppy runs away before?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Chipping doesn't hurt them. One of mine was chipped during her booster vaccines and she didn't even yelp.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sigh. Good for you for looking out for this pup, I hope everything works out. I've found two collar-less, unchipped strays myself in the past month, and after lots of pleading on my part the owners still refused to get their dogs microchipped. I told them that the next person won't go through so much trouble to make sure the dog gets home or to shelter safely...

So I am new to the chip thing, already have "I am chipped" on his tag.

Our vet does it when they neuter, and hopefully that's not for a while. Can it be done before? Is it big/painful?
The needle is large, but it's just like other shots - quick and easily forgotten. I had Beckett's done at his very first vet visit, and check it periodically (still working, hasn't migrated). There's lots of discussions on the drawbacks of chipping, but you really can't argue with the universality of it - something that tags and tattoos don't provide.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
A little off topic, but I have a question.

Someone I know adopted a dog(owner surrender) but it is microchipped. The microchip has the old owner's information on it. They can't change the information on the microchip because only the person whose name the microchip is registered to can change the information, but the old owners have moved away already and they are unable to contact them. So right now they are stuck with a microchip with the old owner's information on it and they can't change it. What should they do?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If it was adopted at a shelter, find out from the shelter if they surrendered the dog before or after they moved.

Maybe the shelter has their new information.

Surgery to remove the old microchip and re-chip is the only alternative I know of.

·
Registered
245 Posts
A little off topic, but I have a question.

Someone I know adopted a dog(owner surrender) but it is microchipped. The microchip has the old owner's information on it. They can't change the information on the microchip because only the person whose name the microchip is registered to can change the information, but the old owners have moved away already and they are unable to contact them. So right now they are stuck with a microchip with the old owner's information on it and they can't change it. What should they do?
Not sure how that would work legally for the microchip company, but there should be a vet's contact information listed when the number is scanned - maybe have the new owners get in touch with that office, explain the situation, and have them keep their info on file in the event that they're ever called re: the dog? There's always the option of getting a second chip.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts