German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question on micro-chips. How many of you have your dogs micro-chipped? I was thinking about getting one for dog but I have some concerns over putting a chip in my dog. Long term effects, what if a company goes out of business? Why or why would you not micro-chip your dog? Advice please?:confused:

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I've chipped all my animals (dogs, cats, housemate even chipped her rabbits). I've never seen any negative effects or know anyone who has.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
My dog is micro-chipped just in case she gets lost.
No more, no less.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I have all three of mine micro-chipped. I got mine done just in case they ever get lose the will hopefully get back to me. Our animal control will usually check to see if they are chipped.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I will always chip every single one of my animals, unless I find solid, scientific evidence that there are harmful effects to microchipping. The rescue that I work with chips all of the dogs that come through the rescue, and register themselves as a secondary contact in case the adoptive family (who is the primary contact) is unreachable. Collars can be taken off, but a microchip will be around pretty much forever unless it migrates or doesn't scan properly. And as someone who volunteers in a shelter exam room, we scan every single animal that comes in for a microchip, so if an animal with a chip gets lost and ends up in our shelter, there is a much higher chance that you will be reunited (as long as you register the chip and keep your contact info up to date - lots of people forget to do that).

If the chip company goes out of business a microchip scanner should still be able to detect the presence and ID # of the chip. It would just be harder to trace the owner, but not impossible I think. I don't think that's a very common thing to have happen either, especially if you stick with one of the bigger microchip companies like HomeAgain.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
We micro-chipped our dog. The vet suggested we do it while she under going her spay surgery so she would not feel the chip being inserted.

Most of our other pets were adopted from a shelter and they were always chipped, and we never had any negative reactions.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
my dogs are chipped, my cats are not because they are inside kitties:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
All of our dogs and cats have been chipped.

We started with our 1st dalmatian in 1992, she lived till 2003 when she died of old age. No ill effects noted in all those years. Now microchips are probably better than they were then so even less chance of side effects.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My dog is micro-chipped as well. No issues that I'm aware of. For me its a piece of mind knowing if she gets lost that she can be returned to me since she is chipped.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Im using HomeAgain. They have a great user friendly website to keep your pet's chip info updated. Also great customer service. They are quick to answer any questions. I have detailed contact info and a photo of Otto on my account. If you have concerns talk to your vet. I highly suggest getting one. I'm sure others will say the same. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Question: Is there a micro chip that you can put in your pet that also allows it to be tracked?

Such as in the case with your dog being stolen or lost and you could GPS his chip number and see where he is located?

Or did I just come up with a million dollar idea?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will always chip every single one of my animals, unless I find solid, scientific evidence that there are harmful effects to microchipping. The rescue that I work with chips all of the dogs that come through the rescue, and register themselves as a secondary contact in case the adoptive family (who is the primary contact) is unreachable. Collars can be taken off, but a microchip will be around pretty much forever unless it migrates or doesn't scan properly. And as someone who volunteers in a shelter exam room, we scan every single animal that comes in for a microchip, so if an animal with a chip gets lost and ends up in our shelter, there is a much higher chance that you will be reunited (as long as you register the chip and keep your contact info up to date - lots of people forget to do that).

If the chip company goes out of business a microchip scanner should still be able to detect the presence and ID # of the chip. It would just be harder to trace the owner, but not impossible I think. I don't think that's a very common thing to have happen either, especially if you stick with one of the bigger microchip companies like HomeAgain.

Wow, thanks everyone. It seems like it's a good idea. Do any of you pay a monthly fee to keep it active?

Thanks, Virginia for the name of a company 'HomeAgain'. The University animal science dept. is doing a microchip program where I live for the community and it is $20 for each dog. I don't know what company it is, but it sounds like a good price. :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Question: Is there a micro chip that you can put in your pet that also allows it to be tracked?

Such as in the case with your dog being stolen or lost and you could GPS his chip number and see where he is located?

I would love that idea...does anyone know if they have something like this???:confused:

·
Registered
825 Posts

For it to track it would need to broadcast. For that you would need a power source, and probably need to charge it occasionally. The little RFID chips won't work for that.

The power source and transmitter needed to GPS your pet would be way to big to neatly inject. It would take surgery...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I don't think they have GPS micro chips yet. I'm sure it's in the works??? They have GPS collars that you can buy to track your dogs. Those are neat but can get pretty costy!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
The chip is only as good as the information provided. Make sure you update when anything changes with contact information.

Also when you go for annual vet exams, please have your vet scan to be sure the chip hasn't migrated.
If it has migrated, contact the company and let them know(as well as the location it has migrated to) And have your vet's name & # in the contact information, along with the vet making notation on your animals file of the migration location.

Kacie's chip has moved down to her shoulder.

IF there were GPS enabled chips, theft of animals would be almost non-existent and Hex would be home safely by now.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The chip is only as good as the information provided. Make sure you update when anything changes with contact information.

Also when you go for annual vet exams, please have your vet scan to be sure the chip hasn't migrated.
If it has migrated, contact the company and let them know(as well as the location it has migrated to) And have your vet's name & # in the contact information, along with the vet making notation on your animals file of the migration location.

Kacie's chip has moved down to her shoulder.

IF there were GPS enabled chips, theft of animals would be almost non-existent and Hex would be home safely by now.
If the chip migrates can it migrate to a place where it can injure the dog and can it be removed?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I believe it can be removed, it is only the size of a grain of rice, so not sure it would be necessary to remove it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts