German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hearing Butch's stories about his trips to Mickey D's with Sarge, I just had to take Rocky.

So, DH had to work, and Rocky and I went for a ride to pick up lunch.

I am such a bad mom that I let him ride all the way there and all the way back with his head out the window. When we stopped at the stoplight I saw people waiting for a table at IHOP pointing at him with his head out the window, tongue hanging out and the biggest smile he has.

Anyways, Rocky very patiently waited for our food, of course he had no idea what it was LOL The closer we got to the pick up winodw the closer he got to me. I thought I was gonna have 90 lbs of GSD on my lap when she handed me the food. When we got back home, (had to get food for the kids to) and I unwrapped his burger, he just sat there looking at me with the biggest head **** he has ever had. Holding it with two hands, so I didn't lose a finger, he sat there and started licking the cheese till he got a taste of the meat. LOL He did pretty well, with the easy and one bite at a time, however, he kept getting bread and cheese on the first bite and would come back for meat on the second. Of course the pics we tried to take didn't show up so well LOL

Not sure how I will ever be able to bring hamburgers and fries into the house again without getting him something. LOL DH is gonna kill me. But Rocky is no longer a "double cheeseburger" virgin. LOL Oh and fries arent too bad either mom, (praying it doesnt make him sick LOL)

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
You dont have to pray, it wont bother him a bit. Sarge has eaten lord knows how many cheese burgers and fries and Ive never seen any bad effects from it. You are right about next time though, It didnt take sarge long to figure out whats in a mickey dees bag!!! So even if I just pick up something on the way home, I have to include a cheese burger for the Sarge, he shares my fries..lol

Tell DH to lightin up, its only .99. Its plenty worth that to me to see sarge get all excited and how much he enjoys our little lunch adventures. Ke loves the ride, hangin out with me and cheese burgers on top of all that. Where can you go and have that much fun for .99 cents...lol

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Originally Posted By: DSudd
He did pretty well, with the easy and one bite at a time, however, he kept getting bread and cheese on the first bite and would come back for meat on the second.
Thats actually a good thing, he was trying to follow your instruction and take small, easy bites instead of attacking it..lol

He'll get the hang of it soon enough, Congratulations, your now the proud owner of a mickey dee dog!!! lol

Sarge and I will be heading out pretty soo for our lunch too.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh no it is not the cost of the burger. Rocky has food allergies and we are very careful of the "treats" he gets. He will goes days without eating if he gets a really good treat. Rocky has gone so long without food before because we had given him turkey that he actually lost weight. (Yes he was vet checked and there was nothing wrong with him.)

My DH spoils the dog more than I do. They are so funny to watch together. I am sure Rocky will know exactly where we are next time we go to Mickey D's. Great idea LOL

G

·
0 Posts
I occasionally take the dogs to McDonalds too. I ask for just the patty though. They don't need the bun and the cheese, mustard and ketchup wind up making a mess. They spit out the pickle too. At least Odin did. I've never tried the full burger with Frigga. Butch is right though, it's a cheap "special treat" for them.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I cant open the fridg door without sarge sitting there with that pitifull, anything in there for me too..look on his face..lol

He loves his hotdogs so we keep them in there for him. I give him one and he acts like he robbed a back, he turns and heads off to lay down and enjoy his plunder.

At night we'll be watching TV and sarge will come up and sit right in front of me. I know he wants something, So a long time ago we taught him the ....SHOW ME..thing. So I tell him..listen...this is were I have his undevided attention. Then I say...show me what you want...He will either head to the door, or head to the kitchen. The kitchen is the easy one..lol

The door is either I have to potty or im tricking you to get outside to play or go to mc donalds..lol

My wife says the same thing about me!!! lol. When we come home, she says. And where have you two been, noplace I answer. She says, mcdonalds or dairy queen??? Mc donalds...she just shakes her head..lol

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Originally Posted By: GSDadI occasionally take the dogs to McDonalds too. I ask for just the patty though. They don't need the bun and the cheese, mustard and ketchup wind up making a mess. They spit out the pickle too. At least Odin did. I've never tried the full burger with Frigga. Butch is right though, it's a cheap "special treat" for them.
Get them plain, That way you avoid the mess. Sarge doesnt really like the pickel either, And if a bit drops on the seat or your clothes it doesnt make a mess. As im sure you know me and sarge cruise in the jeep, I can clean it out with a hose..lol

Plain is the way to go.

We know how to make messes!!! Sarge jumps in there with his muddy feet, walks across my seat to get to his. I brush it off my seat with my hand as much as I can then wipe my hand on my jeans...ok, lets go!!! lol

I still dont understand why the wife wont let us use the explorer???

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
On each one of my dogs birthdays, they all get cheeseburgers. Then a cupcake.
A couple of the dogs do really well with us holding the burger or cupcake and they just take nice bites, and is never messy. I don't know how I got lucky with that.

We use to stop by Burger King after a Therapy visit with Jake and Bandit, and go through the drive through, they would give us a bag full of bacon strips for the dogs for free.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Originally Posted By: TMARIEOn each one of my dogs birthdays, they all get cheeseburgers. Then a cupcake.
A couple of the dogs do really well with us holding the burger or cupcake and they just take nice bites, and is never messy. I don't know how I got lucky with that.

We use to stop by Burger King after a Therapy visit with Jake and Bandit, and go through the drive through, they would give us a bag full of bacon strips for the dogs for free.
I imagine its a lot tougher with more then one dog in a drivethrough. Sarge can be a hand full all by himself, I dont know how it would be to try and take 2 or 3.

I like it when people at the dairy queen ask, would you like a dog treat as they hand out the order, I show them the cup of ice cream and say, this is for him.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've never taken all the Hooligans to McD's at the same time, but have taken two or three. They're pretty well behaved, take turns getting bites of their plain double cheeseburgers. I let them eat theirs before I eat mine. I share my fries.

Sometimes I'll bring home a bag of plain cheeseburgers and feed them their burgers one at a time. Poor Bruiser, being the youngest he has to watch five others eating their burgers before he gets his and he has a huge pool of drool on the floor by the time it's his turn.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gayle LOL that is how Rocky was, following me around while I was trying to find the camera. I poked by his nose several times.

I told DH and he just laughed he said I can't believe you did that. Of course everytime he goes to Mickey D's Rocky will get something I am sure.

Butch plain worked great. He got meat, cheese and bread. Three of his favorite things.

We taught Rocky the same show me thing. His is either outside or the fridge. When he does the fridge we open it and he always points to the cheese drawer, backs up and waits for his treat. LOL

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Sarge is a big cheese fan too. I like the sharp chedder with crackers while I watch TV. Ever notice when your sharing snacks they almost understand the concept of one for me...one for you. I eat a piece of cheese and sarge is ok with that. I start to cut another piece and he starts to fidgit around like he knows its his turn..lol

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just like Rocky does. LOL He knows when it is his turn and if you skip it, he lets you know it with his funny little noises.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Sounds like a great Mickey D's visit!
Our vets office just happens to be next to a McD's so most times I will swing by and get a plain burger for whoever is with me. It is always to hot, so i have to hang it out the window for a minute

I have to say though that Kelso prefers Arby's beef sandwich! Another great choice

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Butch you were wrong LOL Rocky did so so on his dinner last night (He ate prbably 1/3 of it) and as of this morning he is on his hunger strike again. He did not eat one bite of food.

I wish I could make him understand that treats are treats, and it is not something he will get all the time.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
don't let your dog stick his head out of the window. you wouldn't let your child stick his head or hands out of the window, would you?? i went to Mickey D's with my boy for the first time yesterday. i don't eat junk nor do i feed it to my dogs but yesterday i had the junk food call. i had a number 3 and i bought a double quarter pounder with nothing on it for him. just the bun and the meat. he ate it but he didn't go crazy for it . i guess he knows better than to eat that stuff. i was in the dog park yesterday and this older gentleman was telling that he goes to Burger King once a month with him and his Labrador. i'm not sure if i'll take my dog to Mickey D's again. there's better places when can go.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have let my kids stick their hands out the windows plenty of times. And I also let my dog stick his head out the window. What parent has not let their child stick their hand out the window as it starts to rain? Or show them how to the wind came move their arm up and down while driving down the highway?

Look you can do what you chose to do or not chose to do with your dog. But most of the people on here are capable of not only taking care of their dogs, but chosing what they can eat, what treats they can have, and if they can enjoy the wind blowing in their faces.

Most of the people are also smart enough to know that if you are driving down the road and your pup has his head out the window, dont hit any trees cause it might hurt the dog, not to mention damage the car.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Well apparently you have a very discerning dog there that can tell whats good for him and what isnt. Especially given the fact most of them would eat out of the trash can if given the opertunity. I guess maybe dogs take after their masters more then we know. Sarge will eat just about anything like his master, and prefers any kind of meat. Also enjoys rice crispy treats, cheetos, cheese and crackers, cheese whiz in a can on crackers, raw hotdogs without the bun, sliced ham, bacon, and just about any other left overs from super. When that runs out he finishes up by eating his dog food.

I tried rice cakes and toe fu one time, I spit it out. Then I gave the rest to Sarge and he spit it out too. So we loaded up and coped a double quarter pounder with cheese and some fries at micky dees and all was right again with the world.

You said, theres better places to go.Where do you plan on taking him?? just courious.

As to the holding his head out the window, I do that too. Im aware of the problems that it can cause. The small town I live in, speeds are very low so its not a problem. The window is only half way down so he can look around and get some air. If I plan on going out of town where speeds are increased I keep the window up.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Butch of course it is a problem. I am sure you let sarge hang out the window so you can see how many tree branches and mailboxes smack him in the face LOL

I have never given Rocky rice cakes but I know he loves pretzels LOL He did good on his starve myself and wait for another burger. He only chose not to eat one meal.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
They do that, Im not eating this!! I want something better. Then when nothing better is fourth comming its like. OK, Ill eat it..lol

Sarge wont eat until after Bobbi and have finished dinner. Hes waitting to see what might come his way. If nothing does he hits his food bowl..lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts