German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mia's had diarrhea for the last two days. She still has an appetite and still wants to play, so no other changes. It concerns me because she pooed in the house overnight twice. She's never done that. She's had no accidents in the house since she was 4 months old.

We've had a problem with stink bugs since fall. Somehow they managed to get in our house and hide in closets and drawers. I've been seeing and killing a lot of them lately but Mia has also been eating them every chance she gets. I even saw one in her runny poop this morning. Do you think they could be causing her Diarrhea?

She's fully vaccinated and will be 16 months old tomorrow. She's been on the same food for over two months (4Health large breed) so I don't think it's the food. She never goes into the yard unsupervised and is always with me in the house so I don't think she's eaten anything other than the stink bugs.

She did this once before when she ate a bunch of acorns in one of our training classes but she never pooped in the house.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I doubt it my dogs eat stink bugs like dessert. She may have gotten into something your not aware of, maybe someone gave her some table scraps that bugged her belly, or some other dietary change. It happens from time to time, but if they are drinking, active, and willing to eat it usually passes on it's own. I would however, help her tummy with some brown rice and chicken instead of kibble since it's easier to digest and a little yogurt:)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I always think parasites first in any puppy with diarrhea. Once that's crossed off, I move on to other things.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt it my dogs eat stink bugs like dessert. She may have gotten into something your not aware of, maybe someone gave her some table scraps that bugged her belly, or some other dietary change. It happens from time to time, but if they are drinking, active, and willing to eat it usually passes on it's own. I would however, help her tummy with some brown rice and chicken instead of kibble since it's easier to digest and a little yogurt:)
Thanks.:) How much brown rice and chicken would you reccomend? She weighs approximately 65 pounds. I did call my Vet and they did say because Mia doesn't get any table food, her tummy could be sensitive to all the stink bugs she's been eating. She's been capturing at least 5 of the little buggers a day. I try to kill, flush, or vaccum them as much as possible. They've been a big problem in our area this year. I always know when she eats one because she reaks of their smell.

They did say I could give her some Imodium.

It's just my husband and I so I know she hasn't gotten any table scraps.

Thanks a lot. I really do appreciate your advice. I'll be getting her some chicken, brown rice, and yogurt.:)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always think parasites first in any puppy with diarrhea. Once that's crossed off, I move on to other things.
She has an appointment next week for her yearly vaccines so we'll be getting a fecal done too. She's wormed every month for the usual suspects but can't cross off whipworms or Tapes. Hopefully, she doesn't have any of those. I wouldn't think Tapes. Haven't seen any Tape segments and she's on flea preventative so no fleas but who knows? Our dogs do find a way of making us worry don't they?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, just read up on the side effects of Imodium in dogs. Needless to say, I won't be giving it to Mia. One of the things that concern me most is it can cause bloat. It can also cause pancreatitis. Don't think I want to take that kind of chance.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Make sure you cook that brown rice until it's really, really soft. Too soft for humans to want to eat it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just had Neko to the vet yesterday for the same issues....she has tons of energy, but the diarrhea wasn't improving even with pumpkin or yogurt. Diagnosis: roundworms - eeew, but easy to fix. The vet gave us some Kaolin/pectin tablets that really help firm things up right away. Hope Mia is feeling better soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts