German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with fenced in backyards containing electric and gas meters who aren't outside with your dogs at all times, how do you deal with meter reading? Do utility companies call guard dog owners before they come out to read meters? I don't have a guard dog at the moment, just 2 puppies. I might need to know for future reference. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
in some places, they will install a special electronic meter so they don't have to go into the backyard. I know that is what they do here in AR and in WV where we moved from.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I am lucky that ours is read from the street. I always make sure that the bushes around the meter are trimmed so they don't have to come on our property for a reading.

Call the utility company & see if that is a option.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Our company, Florida Power & Light, sends out a recorded message (via phone) the business day before with a reminder to have dogs put up and gate unlocked. I requested to be enrolled for their dog message alert about 25 years ago and it has continued since then.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
The gas meter man rattles the gate and waits for me to come to the door, if the dogs are inside I just shut the door and watch for him to leave. If they are outside he waits across the street untill I have them inside the house.

I have never seen the electric meter reader. :confused:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
In Colorado Springs, they sent a text message and a recorded home phone message the day before they came to read. My concern was always about them remembering to latch my gate. I did a check on it when I came home to make sure. I never count on anyone else to make sure our dog was secure.

We have invisible fence now and the meter is on the side of the house. I've never seen the gas or electric meter readers, but I have seen the water meter reader. That meter is right on the street in front of our house, so not an issue.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Our gas and electricity meters are in the basement so someone has to be home when they come. We Are on equalized payments so they only read twice a year or so.

The water department will enter a yard to read whether the is a dog in the yard or gates are locked (they will jump fences). Many meters are still on the back of the house but new ones are being installed in the front now since back alleys are becoming a thing of the past.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Our guys just come on into the yard even with the dogs out. So stupid if my dogs are out I am home so no reason for them not to let me know and have me bring the dogs in.:confused:

Oh and when they don't shut the gate I just about have a hissy fit. Makes me so mad:mad:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I have no idea how they would do it here in MD but back home in Colorado Springs, they had recently begun installing systems so they could just sit in front of your house and get a reading to a little palm device so they didnt have to go back and read the meter directly. If they hadnt installed the new system on your property yet, they would let you know in advance either by text message or you could set up a recurring appointment for them to come out and enter your yard to read the meter.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I would lock the gate and put a small sign by the lock asking the reader to knock on the door. Locking it is a prudent thing to do anyway.

That is assuming you are home when the dogs are loose in the back yard as opposed in a secure run.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Ours used binoculars.
I have Sumter Electric Co-op and they also used binoculars to read my meter. Then a few years ago they installed an electronic device so they can now read it from the street.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts