German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do my best to follow a minimal vaccine schedule, but with Ryka being almost two and not having any vaccines since she was about 24 weeks old, I decided that she should be brought up to date during her general check up today. A few hours after her vaccines, she started to smell metallic. Her breath often smells like this if she has acid reflux, but I've never had it smell this strong on her before.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? She doesn't have issues with her glands that I'm aware of.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
I would titer this dog before any future vaccinations.

According to Dr. Dodds Vaccination Protocol, Rabies should be separated by 3 to 4 weeks.

The DA2PP contains 4 viruses.

2014 study done with mice: "New research reveals that immunization can trigger a distinct change in body odor. This is the first demonstration of a bodily odor change due to immune activation. "This work provides further evidence that it is possible to use odors to 'eavesdrop' on the immune system, suggesting that non-invasive disease detection may be possible even before the onset of observable symptoms," https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140402211946.htm

"In kidney failure, the breath may smell metallic (due to a build-up of toxins and waste products that the kidneys aren't filtering)" https://vethelpdirect.com/vetblog/2...not-teeth-other-causes-of-bad-breath-in-pets/

I would suggest detoxing her with a high quality, human grade product such as Herbal Hepaclenz: https://www.pureformulas.com/herbal-hepaclenz-90-capsules-by-professional-formulas.html

Moms :)

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
And just an fyi from personal experience - acid reflux that is happening consistently points to a medical issue. It could be as simple as a food intolerance, or it could be something more. But usually it means something is going on in the GI tract.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestion Moms, I’ll look into that. And yes, I wanted to have them separate, but unfortunately it didn’t go down that way (long story short).

Why does your dog have acid reflux? It sounds like it happens often? I would pursue that route before I blamed the vaccines.

I did see the vet out for it quite a few times, and based on all the testing she said she didn’t believe it was anything serious. She thinks it’s more similar to morning hunger pukes in puppies than anything else, so we always make sure she has a small snack before bed and something small available in the morning. We spent over $400 on medication alone to see if it made a difference, and while it may have, it’s like taking Gaviscon every night preventatively. Because the symptoms were so infrequent, we decided against daily medication (I’m actually the exact same, and I can have severe heart burn at random. Nothing for months then 1 really bad attack, so to me it’s not worth the daily medication).

In fact, I’m kind of wondering if it just caused an upset stomach and some acid reflux to go with it, because she no longer smells like it and she did end up puking bile this morning.

The only other things that cause her to puke bile the next morning are bully sticks (infrequently, I can give her 20 and nothing will happen, then I give her 1 and it will happen). And she did have one yesterday.

I’m a big worry wart, so I can promise you any time something happens she sees the vet, lol. I found a small bump on her, took her to the vet for it, and by the day our appointment came the bump was gone. *

ETA: I also forgot to mention she can have reflux whenever she gets too much human food, and when I’m not home my partner and his sister will often give her table scraps. I will have to ask them if they fed her or gave her anything yesterday.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
sounds like she just has a sensitive stomach. Maybe a little nerves causing some stomach upset? I would just keep tagamet on hand. Maybe give her some digestive enzymes like bromelain and a probiotic.

bumps...ugh...I was all freaked out over one and it turned out to be just a cyst. all gone now :)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds like she just has a sensitive stomach. Maybe a little nerves causing some stomach upset? I would just keep tagamet on hand. Maybe give her some digestive enzymes like bromelain and a probiotic.

bumps...ugh...I was all freaked out over one and it turned out to be just a cyst. all gone now :)

I think she does, yes. Not as sensitive as I’ve seen in other dogs, but I do have to watch what she eats. I normally supplement with Primal goats milk, but I think I’ll look into the bromelain as well. I’ve been meaning to purchase the Sunday Sundae, and I think it has that in there.

And that’s good to hear! Bumps are scary .

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've never had that problem. But I only do 2 sets of puppy shots then rabies by law. Nothing else. We really over vaccinate our pets in this society. Unless they are traveling a lot they don't need all of them. Hope your baby is doing better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts