German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And he was the same age as Lucy! We let them meet, then let them off leash to play. I was watching carefully because this dog was bigger than she is, and at her age of 20 weeks I did not want her to have a bad experience. I saw no hackles from either dog, and at first Lucy was the chasee and the subordinate one. He was climbing all over her, and she looked a little unsure but not scared. Then he tried to mount her. Well, she then decided there would be a lesson in who was boss and she was having none of that! So she became the chaser, and jumped all over him. It was like she had been infused with courage. She climbed on his back, and at one point he was down looking up at her and he growled. OK, time to go home.
Question- when does it become unhealthy for the dogs involved? I found it hard to determine whether this was just rough play or if things were getting out of hand. I don't want to baby her, but I don't want to let a situation happen that will cause her fear later.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
i had a situation kind of like yours. i was at a friend of mine and he's got a 5 year old border collie mix that tyson (tyson is 5 months) gets along with great. well i took him over there one day and apparently he had "adopted" a black lab mix that ran around the neighborhood. the dog had owners but they were about worthless when it came to takeing care of a dog...anyway the lab mix is about 1.5 years old so i thought that they would get along great. the lab is an uneutered male so i didnt know if he had male to male aggression problems. my friend said he was a nice dog....well him and tyson got to playing and tyson was the chasee at the beginning, then as tyson decided he was tired of being bullied (which is unusual for him) he decided to get rough back once he fealt comfortable. the lab then put tyson on his back and was growling at him, tyson immediatly jumped back up growling back..needless to say i didnt let them play. i didnt want him to experiance any kind of aggression from another dog because he is not dog aggressive, never barks or hackles in any way of fear or anger. so i intend to keep him on the friendly side.

i would say unless it is playful barking and growling (only u know how ur dog play growls and barks) split them up

thats my 2 cents..hope it helps

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Quote:Question- when does it become unhealthy for the dogs involved? I found it hard to determine whether this was just rough play or if things were getting out of hand. I don't want to baby her, but I don't want to let a situation happen that will cause her fear later.
To me, you paid attention and handled this beautifully! Normal play and interaction with another dog that allow it is a wonderful thing. It's NORMAL for adult dogs to growl at a puppy when they get out of control, and maybe even snap at them. Teaches manners.

But it also showed that your pup was getting a bit too excited and out of control, and to take her away to chill was a good thing!

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/puppack.html is a great article, scroll down past the 'barn fire thing' to the article.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts